serpentine belt broke on VR6 jetta - car now runs ruff

Old December 27th 04, 01:31 AM
hyperion

Default serpentine belt broke on VR6 jetta - car now runs ruff

Hello all,

About a week ago my daughter was driving our 2000 Jetta that has the
VR6 engine (about 50k miles). The serpentine belt broke/came off. She
saw a battery warning lamp come on but did not see the temp guage move
past the mid range.

The car was towed and the belt replaced along with the belt tighter.
The car now idles ok but runs rough and backfires when you start to
accelerate. This is so bad that is not driveable.
Computers codes do not show any problems - any ideas?

Old December 27th 04, 04:03 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

Look for any broken hoses or wires that a broken belt might have damaged
while it was flapping around.
Did the tech put everything back on the engine, like the plug to the MAP
sensor?
Have him/her check their work!
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

oups.com...

Old December 27th 04, 04:03 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

Look for any broken hoses or wires that a broken belt might have damaged
while it was flapping around.
Did the tech put everything back on the engine, like the plug to the MAP
sensor?
Have him/her check their work!
later,
dave
(One out of many daves)

oups.com...

Old December 28th 04, 09:50 AM
Joseph Oberlander

hyperion wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> About a week ago my daughter was driving our 2000 Jetta that has the
> VR6 engine (about 50k miles). The serpentine belt broke/came off. She
> saw a battery warning lamp come on but did not see the temp guage move
> past the mid range.
>
> The car was towed and the belt replaced along with the belt tighter.
> The car now idles ok but runs rough and backfires when you start to
> accelerate. This is so bad that is not driveable.
> Computers codes do not show any problems - any ideas?

Backfiring is most likely a blown or disconnected MAF
or whatever monitors the air intake ratio in your car.
Other than that, it may have munged the timing having the
engine suddenly rev like that. That would be my other
guess - it jerked enough so tht you slipped a notch
or two.

Backfiring while accelerating is sensor and/or timing
related almost every time. It runs fine at idle,
but change the air/fuel ratios and it can't react
properly. If it's bad enough, the car won't even get
compression or start due to everything moving randomly.
Jerking like that is hard on the transmission as well,
so get it fixed sooner rather than later.

Given that it's at 50K miles, replacing the timing belt
if it has one is recommended anyways.

Old December 28th 04, 09:50 AM
Joseph Oberlander

Old January 8th 05, 07:04 PM
hyperion

Hello all,

For completeness of this posting, and for folks that may search this
type answer in the future, here is what finally fixed the problems.

The serpentine belt was replaced. Plus a pully replaced.

A MAF (mass air flow sensor) was replace. The original folks working on
the car though the sensor was ok by only checking the comupter codes
that changed when the MAF was either plugged or un plugged. (The
replacement was done under warrenty)Lucky thing!

The coil pack (for spark plugs) was replaced. The dealership claimed
that two of the 6 sparkplug outputs were bad.

The car now runs well!

Total cost including two tows, parts and labor ...$1400. The labor for
fixing stuff I have no problem with. But as for the cost of VW parts -
the cost is BS, let me spell it out b.u.l.l.s.h.i.t.!

VW corp. - wake up!

VW Corp. - Your part costs are so high I will not buy another VW for
that reason!

Regards.

Old January 16th 05, 07:41 PM

Its german.....parts are pricey