What's a Pinch Bar for?

Old May 20th 07, 07:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech
Nehmo

Default What's a Pinch Bar for?

Here's a pic of a 14 inch long, half an inch in diameter, pinch bar:
http://www.stanleyproto.com/catalog_...web_detail.jpg

One end comes to a point and the other is flattened out like the end
of a un-split crow bar. The flattened-out end is bent maybe 30 degrees
from straight.

What is this tool used for? I realize you could use it as a general
pry tool but then what's the point of the pointed end? You can't use
it as a punch very well because the flattened end is off center and
like the blade of a large standard screwdriver - it doesn't present a
good surface to strike.

So what's the application where the pinch bar is the best tool to
use? Is it used in front end (of an auto) work somehow? And what's
it supposed to "pinch"?

--
(||) Nehmo (||)

Old May 20th 07, 08:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech
Don Bruder

In article .com>,
Nehmo > wrote:

> Here's a pic of a 14 inch long, half an inch in diameter, pinch bar:
> http://www.stanleyproto.com/catalog_...web_detail.jpg
>
> One end comes to a point and the other is flattened out like the end
> of a un-split crow bar. The flattened-out end is bent maybe 30 degrees
> from straight.
>
> What is this tool used for? I realize you could use it as a general
> pry tool but then what's the point of the pointed end? You can't use
> it as a punch very well because the flattened end is off center and
> like the blade of a large standard screwdriver - it doesn't present a
> good surface to strike.
>
> So what's the application where the pinch bar is the best tool to
> use? Is it used in front end (of an auto) work somehow? And what's
> it supposed to "pinch"?
>
> --
> (||) Nehmo (||)

It's a specialized pry-bar.

The pointed end is used to align two holes that a bolt or pin is going
to be put through to hold.

The flat end is for prying - generally to get two pieces of something
with holes that need to line up into more-or-less close alignment. Once
you've used the flat end to get things "just about there", you run the
pointed end through the two (or more) holes, and wiggle it around to get
the holes lined up tightly enough that you can shove a bolt or pin
through them to secure the pieces. (and in the process, push the pinch
bar out of the hole)

You could say it "takes the pinch off" the bolt/pin so that it *CAN* go
through the holes without binding up.

It might be used in front-end work, OR just about anything else where
the use described applies - Ferinstance, steel beams that need to be
bolted together - Shove the pointed end through one hole in a beam. Line
the second beam up so that you can get the bar into the second hole.
Wiggle. Presto - holes are aligned and ready for a bolt.

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Old May 20th 07, 02:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech
Randy Zimmerman

"Nehmo" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Here's a pic of a 14 inch long, half an inch in diameter, pinch bar:
> http://www.stanleyproto.com/catalog_...web_detail.jpg
>
>snip<
> So what's the application where the pinch bar is the best tool to
> use? Is it used in front end (of an auto) work somehow? And what's
> it supposed to "pinch"?
>
> --
> (||) Nehmo (||)

I have a really nice one on my tool box. I work in a steel fabrication
shop and everyone pinches it. I haven't touched it in over two weeks yet it
has been in continuous use. :'))
Maybe that is the real reason for the name?
Randy

Old May 20th 07, 07:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech
Jim Chandler

Nehmo wrote:

> Here's a pic of a 14 inch long, half an inch in diameter, pinch bar:
> http://www.stanleyproto.com/catalog_...web_detail.jpg
>
> One end comes to a point and the other is flattened out like the end
> of a un-split crow bar. The flattened-out end is bent maybe 30 degrees
> from straight.
>
> What is this tool used for? I realize you could use it as a general
> pry tool but then what's the point of the pointed end? You can't use
> it as a punch very well because the flattened end is off center and
> like the blade of a large standard screwdriver - it doesn't present a
> good surface to strike.
>
> So what's the application where the pinch bar is the best tool to
> use? Is it used in front end (of an auto) work somehow? And what's
> it supposed to "pinch"?
>
> --
> (||) Nehmo (||)

Looks like the tool that ironworkers use to line up rivet holes in
girders. The pointed end is much like a drift punch.

Jim
Old May 20th 07, 07:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech
Don Bruder

In article <uo04i.2444$Ud7.621@trnddc08>, Jim Chandler >
wrote:

> Nehmo wrote:
>
> > Here's a pic of a 14 inch long, half an inch in diameter, pinch bar:
> > http://www.stanleyproto.com/catalog_...web_detail.jpg
> >
> > One end comes to a point and the other is flattened out like the end
> > of a un-split crow bar. The flattened-out end is bent maybe 30 degrees
> > from straight.
> >
> > What is this tool used for? I realize you could use it as a general
> > pry tool but then what's the point of the pointed end? You can't use
> > it as a punch very well because the flattened end is off center and
> > like the blade of a large standard screwdriver - it doesn't present a
> > good surface to strike.
> >
> > So what's the application where the pinch bar is the best tool to
> > use? Is it used in front end (of an auto) work somehow? And what's
> > it supposed to "pinch"?
> >
> > --
> > (||) Nehmo (||)
> >

> Looks like the tool that ironworkers use to line up rivet holes in
> girders. The pointed end is much like a drift punch.
>
> Jim

Probably because, give or take size variations, it *IS* the tool

Old May 21st 07, 02:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech
B.B.

In article .com>,
Nehmo > wrote:

> Here's a pic of a 14 inch long, half an inch in diameter, pinch bar:
> http://www.stanleyproto.com/catalog_...web_detail.jpg
>
> One end comes to a point and the other is flattened out like the end
> of a un-split crow bar. The flattened-out end is bent maybe 30 degrees
> from straight.
>
> What is this tool used for? I realize you could use it as a general
> pry tool but then what's the point of the pointed end? You can't use
> it as a punch very well because the flattened end is off center and
> like the blade of a large standard screwdriver - it doesn't present a
> good surface to strike.
>
> So what's the application where the pinch bar is the best tool to
> use? Is it used in front end (of an auto) work somehow? And what's
> it supposed to "pinch"?
>
> --
> (||) Nehmo (||)

I use mine for smashing finger tips and gashing knuckles.
Occasionally, I use it to line up bolt holes or mount big tires.

Old May 21st 07, 04:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech
Paul D

It is the tool most thieves use to pinch your prized posessions

oups.com...

Old May 21st 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Someone once pinched an old lawn mower and an old wicker table of mine
right out of my carport.
cuhulin

Old May 21st 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.autos.tech
Dave August

Great tool for "bar up, crib down"...

That's what I did the move of my BP with... and did the "bar up" and "bar
down" with, along with just "baring and twisting" to get the exact final
position...

I've also worked track crew in a tourist railroad in the "12 inch to the
foot scale" and yep we used em to align rails and joint bars.

I've heard of a shorter version with just the taperd end called a "Bridge
Bar", same deal, used to align holes just before ya stuck the rivet in...

Oh, and it's NOT supposed to pinch yer hand ..LOL...

--.- Dave

oups.com...