Help with 1993 Explorer part

Old August 10th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Zilla

Default Help with 1993 Explorer part

I believe it's the washers shown here...

http://tinyurl.com/hfwk9

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA

Old August 10th 06, 06:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
dr bob

I don't know which plastic washers you are looking for in that
assembly. The "fragile" parts include a three-fingered plastic
actuator/cam follower inside the hub, There's a plastic cam that rides
on the end of the spindle and around the stub axle. Further inside
the hub, there are two plastic toothed sections. One is permanently
part of the hub housing, while the other is driven by the stub axle
through a little splined sleeve. Do any of these descriptions sound
like the part your mechanic describes? It really doesn't matter much,
since the individual parts are not available anyway.

A few months ago, I tossed all 8 of the spare hubs I'd gathered over
the years for my '92. Sold the car with the original hubs still
working fine, and saw no need for the spares any more. Oh well...

dr bob

Old August 10th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Zilla

Thanks dr. bob. They're the parts
highlighted here, called thrust spacers.
http://trifs.dyndns.org/hub.jpg

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC USA

Old August 12th 06, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

Here's an article on repairing the auto hubs which you may at least find
interesting. The author seems to think that bearings are usually the
problem with the hubs.
http://draco.acs.uci.edu/explorer/autohubs.html

.. .