Lightweight 4x4, flip down windshield

Old April 21st 04, 03:18 AM
Larry Greenwood

This from the manual for my 99 TJ., p. 89, 2nd column.

[quote]
"The fold down windshield and removeable side bars on your jeep vehicle are
structural elements that can provide some protection in some accidents. "

"Do not drive your Jeep vehicle on-pavement with the windshield down and the
side bars removed as you lose the protection these structural elements can
provide."

"If required for certain off-pavement uses, the side bars can be removed and
the windshield folded down. However, the protection afforded by these
features is then lost. If you remove the side bars and fold down the
windshield, drive slowly and cautiously. Jeep engineers recommend that the
speed of the vehicle be limited to 10 mph (16 Km/h), with the low range
preferred, if you are driving off-pavement with the windshield folded down."
[end of quote]

Read and interpret how you want, but I wouldn't drive over 10 mph with the
windsheld down and the "structural elements" removed.

I don't know about the cj's. My guess is that these instructions would
apply to the TJ model for sure.

Larry

Old April 21st 04, 04:58 AM
The Ancient One

"Larry Greenwood" > wrote in message
> This from the manual for my 99 TJ., p. 89, 2nd column.
>
> [quote]
> "The fold down windshield and removeable side bars on your jeep vehicle

are
> structural elements that can provide some protection in some accidents. "
>
> "Do not drive your Jeep vehicle on-pavement with the windshield down and

the
> side bars removed as you lose the protection these structural elements can
> provide."
>
> "If required for certain off-pavement uses, the side bars can be removed

and
> the windshield folded down. However, the protection afforded by these
> features is then lost. If you remove the side bars and fold down the
> windshield, drive slowly and cautiously. Jeep engineers recommend that

the
> speed of the vehicle be limited to 10 mph (16 Km/h), with the low range
> preferred, if you are driving off-pavement with the windshield folded

down."
> [end of quote]
>
> Read and interpret how you want, but I wouldn't drive over 10 mph with the
> windsheld down and the "structural elements" removed.
>
> I don't know about the cj's. My guess is that these instructions would
> apply to the TJ model for sure.
>
> Larry

All that means is you might get hit by something the windshield would have
deflected, and they don't want to get sued by some idiot who gets a bug in
his teeth.

Old April 21st 04, 04:58 AM
The Ancient One

Old April 21st 04, 01:07 PM
James BIGFOOT Holloway

all SJ have fold down wind shields

"

Old April 21st 04, 01:07 PM
James BIGFOOT Holloway

Old April 21st 04, 01:08 PM
TOXICTAVRN

>No, I don't think there is a structural thing about the windshild
>being up or down, not
>100% sure what you call a "wrangler" but CJ5's and CJ7's don't have
>anything attached to the windshield that could be called structural. It's
>more of a over 10 mpg you need
>goggles
>
>~Brian

a Wrangler is a Jeep TJ, the newer models than the CJ's

Shepherds we shall be for thee my lord for thee Power hath decended forth from
thy hand so our feet may swiftly carry out thy command We shall flow a river
forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be In nomine Patris et Filii
et Spiritus Sancti
Old April 21st 04, 01:08 PM
TOXICTAVRN

Old April 21st 04, 02:44 PM
Larry Greenwood

Don't mean to be argumentative, but again that is your interpretation of
what you think the manual says, just as mine is.

One thing is for sure, Jeep is making it pretty clear that both the
windsheld and the side bars work together in adding a structural component
to the vehicle, at least on a TJ.

Of course, anyone can choose to ignore the message.

Larry

Old April 21st 04, 02:44 PM
Larry Greenwood

Old April 21st 04, 04:40 PM
The Ancient One

"Larry Greenwood" > wrote in message
> Don't mean to be argumentative, but again that is your interpretation of
> what you think the manual says, just as mine is.
>
> One thing is for sure, Jeep is making it pretty clear that both the
> windsheld and the side bars work together in adding a structural component
> to the vehicle, at least on a TJ.
>
> Of course, anyone can choose to ignore the message.
>
> Larry

No arguement intended or taken. ;-)

Windshield wiper not working Ulf BMW 4 December 21st 04 12:50 PM
Windshield wiper malfunction Yoboslayer Dodge 20 December 5th 04 03:12 PM
E36 Windshield Wiper assembly Gabe Knuth BMW 2 December 2nd 04 04:14 PM
E30 Windshield Wiper Motor/Switch? ballzo BMW 0 October 16th 04 02:56 AM
Windshield Washer Nozzle Remove/Install Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, MP BMW 1 September 25th 04 03:51 PM