83 351W What will it fit?

Old May 7th 05, 10:48 PM
Spike

Default 83 351W What will it fit?

The 351W will fit into just about anything. It's about the biggest
engine you can get into a 64.5-66 Mustang without modifications to the
engine well.

On Sat, 7 May 2005 16:36:05 -0500, "bytor" > wrote:

>I have an 83 351W (83 - 93 one piece real main seal) that I was hoping to
>put in an older (69 -72) pickup or mustang. It came out of a Bronco, and
>most of the early 80's 351's were put in Vans, trucks, LTDs and Crown Vics.
>
>Will this engine bolt into a earlier Ford truck or Mustang? Is there an
>internet resource that might help? I do know there are different oil pans
>available for different applications.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Joe
>jdh at bidibidibombom.com
>
>Block casting: E3AE-BA 83-93

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Old May 8th 05, 04:14 AM
Kruse

bytor wrote:
> I have an 83 351W (83 - 93 one piece real main seal) that I was

hoping to
> put in an older (69 -72) pickup or mustang. It came out of a Bronco,

and
> most of the early 80's 351's were put in Vans, trucks, LTDs and Crown

Vics.
> Will this engine bolt into a earlier Ford truck or Mustang? Is there

an
> internet resource that might help? I do know there are different oil

pans
> available for different applications.
> Thanks,
> Joe

It will bolt up to the bellhousing and the Ford Motorsport catalog
supports this engine very well. They also have a tech help number if
you order form their catalog and you have questions. You want to keep
your flexplates correct on these engines. The early small blocks had a
28oz flywheel, the later ones had 50 oz. Other than that, the late
model should interchange with the early.
And as you know, the rear sump takes a rear dipstick. The early front
sumped pans have the dipstick tube in the timing chain cover.