I've a question about the value of a couple of old Cadilliacs.

Old November 16th 04, 09:19 PM
Donut

Default I've a question about the value of a couple of old Cadilliacs.

I know these are really broad questions, but thought I'd give it a
shot

My Dad passed away last year, and my Mom would like to get rid of the
two Cads. in the garage that he never got around to restoring. We
could just give them away of course, but if someone was willing to
part with some cash for them, so much the better.

First car is a '64 Fleetwood, 2 door convertible. Second car is a '76
El Dorado, also a two door convertible.

Both were daily drivers until they were garaged (about 24 years ago)
because of some sort of mechanical failures. I wish I could say what
exactly what the failures were, but I really don't know Both are
pretty "straight" (The '76 has some front right bumper damage).

I realize this is very scant info on witch to go on, but I'm just
looking for some sort of starting point.

Any helpful links you guys/gals could point me to?

BTW, we are located in Portland, OR

Thanks to anyone that took the time to read this.

Don Stark

Old November 17th 04, 12:56 AM
Hoodoo

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:19:58 -0800, Donut > wrote:

>My Dad passed away last year, and my Mom would like to get rid of the
>two Cads. in the garage that he never got around to restoring. We
>could just give them away of course, but if someone was willing to
>part with some cash for them, so much the better.
>
>First car is a '64 Fleetwood, 2 door convertible. Second car is a '76
>El Dorado, also a two door convertible.

One option is to list them individually on eBay. That way you'll
likely let the market for them dictate what they are worth. It would
be best to have a mechanic or other knowledgeable person inspect them
beforehand so that their condition can be properly described in the
auction ads.

Old November 17th 04, 04:57 AM
Donut

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 18:56:21 -0600, Hoodoo > wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 13:19:58 -0800, Donut > wrote:
>
>>My Dad passed away last year, and my Mom would like to get rid of the
>>two Cads. in the garage that he never got around to restoring. We
>>could just give them away of course, but if someone was willing to
>>part with some cash for them, so much the better.
>>
>>First car is a '64 Fleetwood, 2 door convertible. Second car is a '76
>>El Dorado, also a two door convertible.

>One option is to list them individually on eBay. That way you'll
>likely let the market for them dictate what they are worth. It would
>be best to have a mechanic or other knowledgeable person inspect them
>beforehand so that their condition can be properly described in the
>auction ads.

Thanks for the note Hoodoo, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

What you say is true of course, but by "word of mouth" it's gotten out
that my Mom want's to get rid of these cars, and someone is coming by
tomorrow to look at them. I was just hoping to be able to "negotiate"
a fair price with him, from a "knowledgeable" starting point

Looking through the archives here, there seems to be a sort of "kelley
blue book" for older automobiles. That's what I'm looking for, a
general range of value(s)

Thanks again,

Don

Old November 17th 04, 02:25 PM
Hoodoo

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:57:01 -0800, Donut > wrote:

>What you say is true of course, but by "word of mouth" it's gotten out
>that my Mom want's to get rid of these cars, and someone is coming by
>tomorrow to look at them. I was just hoping to be able to "negotiate"
>a fair price with him, from a "knowledgeable" starting point

Unless you or your mother told the prospective buyer that he can
purchase them for a set amount, you're not obligated to sell the cars
to that individual.

>Looking through the archives here, there seems to be a sort of "kelley
>blue book" for older automobiles. That's what I'm looking for, a
>general range of value(s)

That's your prerogative but the value range can be considerable and
you may be limiting the amount of money they are actually worth due to
working within whatever the book says.

Putting the cars up for auction would increase considerably the number
of prospective buyers. You could access the stated book values and
then set an appropriate reserve price in the auctions so you don't
obtain less than you feel they are worth. You could also inform local
prospective buyers that if the cars don't sell for your auction
reserve price they could then purchase them for whatever price you
agree upon.