ZJ steering problem..

Old April 3rd 06, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default ZJ steering problem..

Ok well after what I was hoping to be a completely problem free weekend trip
with the ZJ, It NOW has a problem... well it has slightly had this as an
intermittent problem for awhile but this weekend it seemed to happen all the
time.

The problem: when turning in parking lots or at slow speeds, you can feel
the front wheels binding (unless they can slip on sand), making it almost
impossible to make tight turns..

Before someone asks... it's a 93 ZJ with "full time 4wd", so yes its
selected to 4wd..

It behaves just like my (soon to be retired) XJ does when it is left in
4wheel high and driven on dry surfaces. Which as far as I know the ZJ
should not behave this way.

Any help will be welcomed

Snow...

Old April 3rd 06, 03:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Snow did pass the time by typing:
> Ok well after what I was hoping to be a completely problem free weekend trip
> with the ZJ, It NOW has a problem... well it has slightly had this as an
> intermittent problem for awhile but this weekend it seemed to happen all the
> time.
>
> The problem: when turning in parking lots or at slow speeds, you can feel
> the front wheels binding (unless they can slip on sand), making it almost
> impossible to make tight turns..
>
> Before someone asks... it's a 93 ZJ with "full time 4wd", so yes its
> selected to 4wd..
>
> It behaves just like my (soon to be retired) XJ does when it is left in
> 4wheel high and driven on dry surfaces. Which as far as I know the ZJ
> should not behave this way.

Well, the 93 ZJ with quadratrack doesn't come with a locking or limited slip
front diff but it will act that way if the transfer case fluid is low or old.
How's the fluid level in your transfer case? Should be up to the top fill bolt.
Standard ATF fluid, same as the transmission.

Also check the CV boots for rips and the power steering fluid

--
DougW

Old April 3rd 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Just a quick add-on,, while out checking a couple things quickly as
darkness arrived I did notice the from diff cover was extremely hot and the
rear diff cover was warm.

Thanks Doug, I'll check the t-case and let you know about the level, I did
notice that the t-case looks wet but this might be due to some puddles
earlier in the drive home from the in-laws.
As for the cv-boots they're both fine (6 months old) and 2 garages looked at
them in the past 2 weeks ( wheel alignment and hub change.. steering
problem existed prior to this work, was hoping this work would get rid of
the problem).

Snow...

Old April 3rd 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Has anyone checked the fluid in the front differential?

The front output shaft is operated by a drive chain that connects the shaft
to a drive sprocket on the mainshaft. The drive sprocket is
engaged/disengaged by the mode fork, which operates the mode sleeve and hub.

I'll send you some info.

Old April 3rd 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

last I checked (5-6 months ago) , the level was good.

Snow...

Old April 3rd 06, 06:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Do you have Selec-Trac or QuadraTrac ?

Old April 3rd 06, 01:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Quadra-Trac I believe.. shifter has 4 wheel full-time and 4 wheel low.

Snow...

Old April 3rd 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Your complaint seems to be common. There seems to be an issue with the
center differential....

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 4th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Well I found the front diff fluid was dark and stinky (like old burnt fluid)
so I changed that today, next I'll be checking / changing the t-case fluid..
anyone know off hand what size the plugs are on the t-case? Other then
being metric.

Snow...

Old April 5th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Snow did pass the time by typing:
> Well I found the front diff fluid was dark and stinky (like old burnt fluid)
> so I changed that today, next I'll be checking / changing the t-case fluid..
> anyone know off hand what size the plugs are on the t-case? Other then
> being metric.

"BIG" 1 3/16 inch specialty socket from Strap-On ..er.. Snap-On. :]
is what I use (probably metric but it fits well enough)

Changing fluid is semi-simple.

While your out buying two quarts of fluid get a 2ft piece of
clear 1/4" id plastic hose. (instructions later)

1) put pan under the lower bolt, on top of a lot of paper or a larger tub
if it's windy.

2) loosen both bolts and then remove the bottom
one first, carefully so the atf doesn't blast
all over you. By the way, if you take the
top fill bolt out first it's just like shotgunning
a beer.....mmmm..beer...

3) replace lower plug and wipe up the mess, wring out your t-shirt..etc.

now to get that fluid to run up-hill....

Now for that bit of clear hose.
take the cap off and poke a hole in it slightly smaller than
the hose. Your going to thread the hose through that hole and
down into the bottle so you can squeeze the bottle and force the
fluid up the hose. Save this doodad, it comes in handy and
you can cap off the remaining fluid with a golf-T or bolt.

4) once fluid comes out the top hole, your done. put the
plug back in and wipe up the mess.

1.6 quarts, Mopar ATF Plus/Type 7176/ Dexron II or compatible.

The plugs go to 35 ft.lbs

--
DougW