What exactly is "left lane blocking"?

Old April 1st 05, 08:39 AM
Arif Khokar

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:

> How many fatal accidents happen in a traffic jam, and how many occur due to
> speeding?

I don't know about traffic jam fatality statistics, but less than 4% of
fatal accidents are speed related last I heard.
Old April 1st 05, 08:41 AM
Arif Khokar

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:

> "Scott en Aztlán" > wrote:

>>Proper passing includes a prompt return to the right lane when your
>>pass is complete. Not 30 seconds after your pass is complete, but
>>IMMEDIATELY.

> This wouldn't apply when passing 18-wheelers with long hoods; they can't see
> cars immediately in front of them.

Which is why you keep going faster than than after you return to the
right lane.
Old April 1st 05, 11:28 AM
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in message
nk.net...
> "Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
> .. .
>
> > Not really.
> > One side claims being first overrides Slower Traffic Keep Right,and that
> > exceeding the posted limit means one can be blocked.
> > (even if micropassing,LLBing)

> Whose position is that? It sure isn't mine, although you keep insisting

it
> is.

I'll take it--if traffic in the left lane is passing slower traffic on the
right, then there is no real reason to speed up to accommodate the MFFY
speeder, and the MFFY speeder is, in fact, a bully on the road. And that
goes for passing slower traffic below the speed limit, at the speed limit
and over the speed limit.

Now, hasn't it been argued that the left lane is the passing lane, and not
the fast lane? If so, the lead driver who is passing traffic is already in
their legal rights to remain in that lane.

The additional fact that KRETP and/or STKR is being interpreted to such an
absolute standard is only to try and benefit the MFFY speeder/bully.

> > Of course,they are wrong.
> > They also contribute to road rage and traffic clumping;both more

dangerous
> > than simple speeding

Road rage is equally a problem with impatient drivers, such as
MFFY/speeders.

Although it's funny how the discussion has changed from LLB below the speed
limit, to LLB at the speed limit, to LLB at any speed just because someone
else wants to break their own personal speed record with their vehicles
extra horsepower.

I guess the real point of this discussion that Jim is trying to railroad on
through is this: if you're in front of me, and I so much as have to take my
foot off the gas and slow down even 5mph, then you're an LLB. Right?

To which, I say again, tough. I don't care if that's being an LLB--then
resolved, in that scenario, I'll gladly accept the title of LLB and continue
passing at the current speed I have chosen for passing slower traffic. Learn
to drive at all speeds, fast and slow, and sharpen your depth perception to
keep a safe following distance before closing in dangerously close to the
vehicle in front of you.

It really is as simple as that, and the vehicle in front of you will merge
right--provided traffic in the right lane has left a suitable gap--and you
can then continue to MFFY/bully the next vehicle in front of you.

> How many fatal accidents happen in a traffic jam, and how many occur due

> speeding?

Many occur due to too-close following distances, which tends to increase
severity as speed increases. Happens every 6 to 12 minutes in the Los
Angeles area, every other traffic report is an accident or two, minimum.

Old April 1st 05, 03:22 PM
Bernard farquart

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> "Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
> .. .
>
>> One can always speed up,or wait until the faster traffic has passed.

> Or the driver behind can wait. Or rear-end me, in which case I collect
> cash and they go directly to jail.

No, usually, if someone rear ends you, you exchange insurance information
and go your separate ways. The only way he goes to jail is for some other
reason, in addition to the rear ending.

Bernard

Old April 1st 05, 04:06 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Arif Khokar" > wrote in message
> Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
>
>> "Scott en Aztlán" > wrote:

>>>Proper passing includes a prompt return to the right lane when your
>>>pass is complete. Not 30 seconds after your pass is complete, but
>>>IMMEDIATELY.

>> This wouldn't apply when passing 18-wheelers with long hoods; they can't
>> see cars immediately in front of them.

> Which is why you keep going faster than than after you return to the right
> lane.

???

Old April 1st 05, 04:09 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Bernard farquart" > wrote in message

> "Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> "Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
>> .. .
>>
>>> One can always speed up,or wait until the faster traffic has passed.

>> Or the driver behind can wait. Or rear-end me, in which case I collect
>> cash and they go directly to jail.

> No, usually, if someone rear ends you, you exchange insurance information
> and go your separate ways. The only way he goes to jail is for some other
> reason, in addition to the rear ending.

If the following driver was merely following too close, you're right. But
if he was tapping my bumper trying to get me out of the way, then that's
vehicular assault. A felony.

Old April 1st 05, 04:15 PM
Jim Yanik

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
nk.net:

> "Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
> .. .
>
>> Not really.
>> One side claims being first overrides Slower Traffic Keep Right,and
>> that exceeding the posted limit means one can be blocked.
>> (even if micropassing,LLBing)

> Whose position is that? It sure isn't mine, although you keep
> insisting it is.
>
>> Of course,they are wrong.
>> They also contribute to road rage and traffic clumping;both more
>> dangerous than simple speeding

> How many fatal accidents happen in a traffic jam, and how many occur
> due to speeding?

Why consider only -fatal- 'accidents'? And who's passing in a traffic JAM?
What's THAT got to do with passing on multi-lane highways?

Why do you keep bringing up nonsense?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old April 1st 05, 04:26 PM
Jim Yanik

"Daniel W. Rouse Jr." > wrote in
:

> "Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
>> "Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
>> .. .
>>
>> > Not really.
>> > One side claims being first overrides Slower Traffic Keep Right,and
>> > that exceeding the posted limit means one can be blocked.
>> > (even if micropassing,LLBing)

>> Whose position is that? It sure isn't mine, although you keep
>> insisting

> it
>> is.
>>

> I'll take it--if traffic in the left lane is passing slower traffic on
> the right, then there is no real reason to speed up to accommodate the
> MFFY speeder,

No,you're wrong.STKR,Slower traffic yields to faster,just being in the
passing lane does not exempt one from that.What speed you're doing does not
exempt you from STKR.

>and the MFFY speeder is, in fact, a bully on the road.

No,the LLB is the bully;a car BLOCKING faster traffic IS the bully.
and the MFFY.

Many who 'speed' ar just cruising along at their comfortable speed,and then
some LLB will block their passing.They are who the STKR rule is aimed
at,the LLBers and sloth/MFFY passers.

> And that goes for passing slower traffic below the speed limit, at the
> speed limit and over the speed limit.
>
> Now, hasn't it been argued that the left lane is the passing lane, and
> not the fast lane? If so, the lead driver who is passing traffic is
> already in their legal rights to remain in that lane.
>
> The additional fact that KRETP and/or STKR is being interpreted to
> such an absolute standard is only to try and benefit the MFFY
> speeder/bully.

No,its to prevent road rage instigated by LLBers,make the roads safer for
everyone by preventing sloth passers from creating rolling packs of
vehicles,to allow traffic FLOW.

>> > Of course,they are wrong.
>> > They also contribute to road rage and traffic clumping;both more

> dangerous
>> > than simple speeding

> Road rage is equally a problem with impatient drivers, such as
> MFFY/speeders.

Because other drivers are not following STKR.They mistakenly believe that
being in the passing lane exempts them from STKR,when in fact,they are the
ones STKR is aimed at.

> Although it's funny how the discussion has changed from LLB below the
> speed limit, to LLB at the speed limit, to LLB at any speed just
> because someone else wants to break their own personal speed record
> with their vehicles extra horsepower.

Yeah,here we go again with the wanna-be traffic cops.LLBing is LLBing,and
wrong,no matter how fast you're going.

> I guess the real point of this discussion that Jim is trying to
> railroad on through is this: if you're in front of me, and I so much
> as have to take my foot off the gas and slow down even 5mph, then
> you're an LLB. Right?
>
> To which, I say again, tough.

Here's the MFFY thing again.And the "bullying".

>I don't care if that's being an
> LLB--

Again,MFFY.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old April 1st 05, 04:48 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
.. .
> "Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
> nk.net:
>
>> "Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
>> .. .
>>
>>> Not really.
>>> One side claims being first overrides Slower Traffic Keep Right,and
>>> that exceeding the posted limit means one can be blocked.
>>> (even if micropassing,LLBing)

>> Whose position is that? It sure isn't mine, although you keep
>> insisting it is.
>>
>>> Of course,they are wrong.
>>> They also contribute to road rage and traffic clumping;both more
>>> dangerous than simple speeding

>> How many fatal accidents happen in a traffic jam, and how many occur
>> due to speeding?

It's self-explanatory. You assert that LLBs are more dangerous than
speeders. I'm calling you out, Jim. Cite your proof of your claim: how
many fatal accidents happen in a traffic jam (where the passing lane is most
assuredly blocked) and how many are caused by speeding?

> Why consider only -fatal- 'accidents'?

They are more dangerous than fender-benders.

And who's passing in a traffic JAM?
> What's THAT got to do with passing on multi-lane highways?

Well, Jim, you're the one who brought up "traffic clumping", not me.

> Why do you keep bringing up nonsense?

Why can't you answer a simple question?

Old April 1st 05, 04:51 PM
Big Bill

On 1 Apr 2005 01:59:21 GMT, Jim Yanik .> wrote:

>> Man, this whole thread has this pot/kettle aspect to it. One guy
>> yelling at another that their breaking the when they themself are
>> guilty of breaking another!
>>
>> DYM
>>

>Not really.
>One side claims being first overrides Slower Traffic Keep Right,and that
>exceeding the posted limit means one can be blocked.
>(even if micropassing,LLBing)
>
>Of course,they are wrong.
>They also contribute to road rage and traffic clumping;both more dangerous
>than simple speeding

Actually, you (and others) are claiming that, if one in the left lane
merely has to slow down and wait a few seconds, he's being LLB'd.
That's not LLB.
LLB is when the person doing the blocking is persisting h=in the
behaviouir for much longer than necessary, with the *intention* of
blocking other drivers.
You, on the other hand, are demanding that others alter their normal
(and safe and legal) driving patterns just so you can continue your
speeding.
That's MFFY driving.

--
Bill Funk