What exactly is "left lane blocking"?

Old March 25th 05, 03:53 PM
Jim Yanik

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
ink.net:

> "Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
> .. .
>> "Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
>> news >>
>>> "Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
>>> .. .

>>> Two questions, Jim. Both questions presume we're on a freeway, the
>>> speed limit is 65, and the car I'm passing at 75 is doing 70:
>>>
>>> * If I'm alongside a car I'm passing and see your car approaching at
>>> 80 from 1/4 mile behind, should I immediately abort my pass, even if
>>> it means colliding with the car I'm passing? Or should I
>>> immediately slow down to pull into the right lane to allow you to
>>> pass first?

>> You omitted the OTHER option;to speed up and complete the pass
>> WITHOUT hindering faster traffic.
>> Why would you pull out and knowingly make the other guy brake?
>> That's what you propose.

> Actually, Jim, that isn't at all what I proposed. And you doing 80
> from 1/4 mile back weren't visible when I started to pass.

Then you are taking far longer to pass then proper(or safe).If I'm that far
back,you should have had plenty of time to pass.Maybe you just didn't check
your mirror,or maybe you just decided MFFY.I suspect the latter.

>>> * If I'm alongside a car I'm passing and decide to complete my pass
>>> even though it impedes you approaching me from 1/4 mile behind at
>>> 80, your car is delayed by perhaps 5-8 seconds max. Where is the
>>> harm?

>> You violated the Slower Traffic Keep Right rule(law?).
>> The harm is you interfering with the flow of faster traffic,which is
>> what the STKR is supposed to prevent.

> The slower traffic is in the right lane.

No,the STKR is directed at traffic in the PASSING lane,to have them move
over so faster traffic can pass unhindered.

> I'm passing him.

Which is no exception to the STKR rule.

> You're
> going 15 mph over the speed limit which will earn you a ticket if
> caught. Even if you aren't caught, wouldn't you say a car doing 80 in
> a 65 zone is a greater hazard to surrounding traffic than a car
> passing at a elative 5 mph?

No,it's not a greater hazard. Except when folks do not follow the SLOWER
TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT rule,and hinder them.Or when others are not paying
attention to their driving.

>>> Okay, that's three questions. Whatever. Your response?

>> There is is.
>>
>> I also note there is no cite to support the "ME First,you brake"
>> behavior.

> You're admitting facts not in evidence, Jim. It's easy to switch
> around the facts to suit your position.

No,you just keep on tossing out lame attempts at justification for your
improper driving.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 25th 05, 03:54 PM
Jim Yanik

"Harry K" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Jim Yanik wrote:
>> "Harry K" > wrote in
>> oups.com:
>>

>> ><snip a whole bunch>
>> > --

> me

>> > right
>> >
>> > Again, while I am passing I am not the slower traffic.

>> If another car is approaching,YES YOU ARE.
>>
>> > STKR does not
>> > apply while I am passing

>> SAYS WHO? It applies ALL the time.
>> Let's see a cite on that.
>>
>> > and you can run that by any LE officer,
>> > traffic safety guy, or driving instructor you like with the

> possible
>> > exception of race conditions.

>> > brake(change

>> > I knew you couldn't do it. I would like you to explain to me (and

> the
>> > others) just -how- is my causing you to slow down any more of a

> MFFY
>> > than you causing me to speed up? If it is an imposition on you to

> slow
>> > down, it is an imposition on me to speed up. I asked that before,

> got
>> > no answer and really expect nothing but more hand waving this time.
>> >
>> > Harry K
>> >
>> > Harry K
>> >

>> Once again;
>> Becuase I am not the one doing the "Me First,so you have to

> brake(change
>> YOUR driving)" shtick.
>> You are.
>>

>> --
>> Jim Yanik
>> jyanik
>> at
>> kua.net

> SOS, same question, same dodge and same no answer to the question.
> As to the STKR I told you to run it by various authorities if you
> didn't believe me...you didn't.
>
> Harry K

It's your assertion,you provide the cite.
Don't expect me to do your homework for you.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 25th 05, 03:59 PM
Jim Yanik

DTJ > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 23:23:12 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:
>
>>This is not my experience, Arif. If I'm doing 75 and another car
>>passes me at 80, they blow past me like a dry leaf in a stiff wind.

> Here's your sign.

A 5 mph pass is not "blowing past" anyone. Maybe they're getting old.
(I'm 52)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 25th 05, 04:17 PM
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 03:56:16 GMT, Arif Khokar >
> wrote:

[snip...]

> As simple as this is to do, there are people out there who flat out
> refuse to touch their gas pedal. They set their cruise control and
> that's it. I don't understand what the objection is, but it's obvious
> that it exists.

Valid reasons are fuel economy (especially with rising gas prices) and, of
course, compliance with speed laws.

Old March 25th 05, 04:35 PM
fbloogyudsr

"Daniel W. Rouse Jr." > wrote
> "Scott en Aztlán" > wrote
>> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 03:56:16 GMT, Arif Khokar wrote:
>> As simple as this is to do, there are people out there who flat out
>> refuse to touch their gas pedal. They set their cruise control and
>> that's it. I don't understand what the objection is, but it's obvious
>> that it exists.
>>

> Valid reasons are fuel economy (especially with rising gas prices) and, of
> course, compliance with speed laws.

An right knee with arthritis or damaged meniscus is also a good reason.

Floyd

Old March 25th 05, 05:16 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 03:56:16 GMT, Arif Khokar >
> wrote:
>
>>Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:

>>> If I'm doing 75 and another car passes me
>>> at 80, they blow past me like a dry leaf in a stiff wind.

>>Then I see the problem as one of two possibilites
>>
>>1. You're unable to accurately estimate distance
>>2. You're unable to accurately estimate closing speed.

> These, combined with
>
> 3. You're too lazy to check your mirrors before beginning a pass

Wrong, and you've no evidence to show otherwise. I always check my mirror
and look over my shoulder before changing lanes, even if I pegged the space
before commencing the pass. Always.

> are the top three non-malicious reasons why people inadvertently
> become LLBs.

Actually, the most prevalent reason for being an LLB seems to be
sociopathic, passive-aggressive behavior.

>>> It doesn't matter anyway. Change the speeds if you like. The question
>>> remains the same.

>>My answer is that you should complete the pass before the other car
>>catches up to you. The easiest way to do that without having to wait
>>for a long time is to either match or exceed the speed of the vehicle
>>behind you. Then, after completing your pass, slow down to your
>>previous cruising speed.

> As simple as this is to do, there are people out there who flat out
> refuse to touch their gas pedal. They set their cruise control and
> that's it. I don't understand what the objection is, but it's obvious
> that it exists.

I love my CC, but never use it in moderate to heavy traffic or when passing.

Old March 25th 05, 05:25 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message

There's no way it should take anywhere close to a minute
> to pass someone. If a driver began his pass "a minute ago" and he's
> still passing, something is seriously wrong.

ITA

> I'll further add that if Harry has an opportunity to return to the
> right lane in between vehicles that he is passing and he refuses to do
> so to allow faster traffic to pass, he is also an asshole.

Sorry Scott, but we part ways there. If I'm already passing a long line of
traffic at a good clip and some lead foot roars up behind me, no way am I
going to bogart my way in between a pair of closely following cars just to
appease the lead foot. Not only will that cost both me and the lead foot
more time than if he just waited for me to finish passing (try it sometime),
but his impatience isn't my problem. I'll complete passing the long line
ASAP and he'll just have to wait. He doesn't like it, he can sue me. He
wasn't even in line-of-sight when I started my pass anyway. If he has to
hit his brakes on a freeway in light to moderate traffic then he's following
too close.

Besides, he'll just encounter the same situation down the road again and
again and again. That's the price of being a lead-foot: no matter what the
traffic is like, you're always catching up to someone.

PC qualifier: girls and women can be lead foots just as easily as men.
Equal Opportunity Jerks.

Old March 25th 05, 05:33 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
.. .
> "Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
> ink.net:
>
>> "Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> "Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
>>> news >>>

>>> You omitted the OTHER option;to speed up and complete the pass
>>> WITHOUT hindering faster traffic.
>>> Why would you pull out and knowingly make the other guy brake?
>>> That's what you propose.

>> Actually, Jim, that isn't at all what I proposed. And you doing 80
>> from 1/4 mile back weren't visible when I started to pass.

> Then you are taking far longer to pass then proper(or safe).If I'm that
> far
> back,you should have had plenty of time to pass.

That's according to your standards of IOTR (I Own The Road) and not mine.

Maybe you just didn't check
> your mirror,or maybe you just decided MFFY.I suspect the latter.

I check my mirror all the time, even when I'm not passing or changing lanes.
And I don't do MFFY. So you're wrong on both counts.

>>> You violated the Slower Traffic Keep Right rule(law?).
>>> The harm is you interfering with the flow of faster traffic,which is
>>> what the STKR is supposed to prevent.

>> The slower traffic is in the right lane.

> No,the STKR is directed at traffic in the PASSING lane,to have them move
> over so faster traffic can pass unhindered.

You're confusing STKP with KRETP. I'm passing at a good clip and am in the
right. You're doing 80 in a 65 zone and am in the wrong in this situation.

>> I'm passing him.

> Which is no exception to the STKR rule.

Again, you're confusing STKR with KRETP.

>> You're
>> going 15 mph over the speed limit which will earn you a ticket if
>> caught. Even if you aren't caught, wouldn't you say a car doing 80 in
>> a 65 zone is a greater hazard to surrounding traffic than a car
>> passing at a elative 5 mph?

> No,it's not a greater hazard. Except when folks do not follow the SLOWER
> TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT rule,and hinder them.Or when others are not paying
> attention to their driving.

See above.

>>> There is is.
>>>
>>> I also note there is no cite to support the "ME First,you brake"
>>> behavior.

>> You're admitting facts not in evidence, Jim. It's easy to switch
>> around the facts to suit your position.

> No,you just keep on tossing out lame attempts at justification for your
> improper driving.

You're doing 80 in a 65 zone in light to moderate traffic, and I'm the
improper driver? Maybe you interpret Slower Traffic Keep Right to mean All
Traffic Keep Right At All Times Except For Jim?

Change "Jim" to "Skip" and I could live with that

Old March 25th 05, 05:39 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
.. .
> DTJ > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 23:23:12 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:
>>
>>>This is not my experience, Arif. If I'm doing 75 and another car
>>>passes me at 80, they blow past me like a dry leaf in a stiff wind.

>> Here's your sign.
>>

> A 5 mph pass is not "blowing past" anyone. Maybe they're getting old.
> (I'm 52)

You got six years on me, you old fart

I'm doing 75, you're doing 80. You're passing at a relative speed of 5 mph.
Not as fast as 15 mph, which is what I prefer. But maybe conditions don't
allow me to pass faster than 5 mph; conditions that may include but not be
limited to that speed trap 1/4 ahead that I know about and you don't.

If the way ahead is clear and there's a line of cars behind me, I'll
consider safety of all before inconvenience to me and up my speed to
complete the pass sooner. But a lead foot who roars up, slams on the brakes
at the last second (what, he didn't see me?) and then tailgates me during a
pass gets no consideration. I won't enable a sociopath.

Old March 25th 05, 07:23 PM
Arif Khokar

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:

> "Arif Khokar" > wrote:

>>>This is not my experience, Arif. If I'm doing 75 and another car passes
>>>me at 80, they blow past me like a dry leaf in a stiff wind.

>>Then I see the problem as one of two possibilites
>>
>>1. You're unable to accurately estimate distance
>>2. You're unable to accurately estimate closing speed.

> I don't have to estimate anything. My speedometer works fine.

This leads to another two possibilites.

1. You lack depth perception
2. You believe that your speedometer measures the speed of the vehicle
behind you.

> Case in point: I'm coming home from the gig tonight, on a 6 lane freeway,
> speed limit 55. There's a car in the right lane doing the speed limit and a
> MLB perhaps 20 feet behind. I'm doing 63 in the right lane. I slow down
> (by coasting, not braking) and clock the MLB at 55.

There was no need to slow down before passing. Check your mirrors and
pass before you catch up with them. If there's a faster car that will
catch up with you before you complete your pass at your current speed,
then speed up a little bit to complete your pass sooner.

>>>It doesn't matter anyway. Change the speeds if you like. The question
>>>remains the same.

>>My answer is that you should complete the pass before the other car
>>catches up to you. The easiest way to do that without having to wait for
>>a long time is to either match or exceed the speed of the vehicle behind
>>you. Then, after completing your pass, slow down to your previous
>>cruising speed.

> I'm not going to speed up that fast just to accommodate a speeding driver.

First off, you're not driving anywhere near the limit of safety. I
typically cruise between 80 and 85 on interstates. That doesn't mean
that's my limit. I certainly can accelerate and go 100 to 110 for brief
periods of time if I feel like it without coming anywhere close to crashing.

> If the car doing 80 has to brake, or any car has to brake on a freeway
> (except in traffic jams), then there's something horribly wrong. Except in
> emergencies, no one should ever have to brake on a freeway.

Did you not just contradict yourself? By not waiting or speeding up,
you ended causing the problem that you stated that no one should ever
have to experience.

> The maneuver
> The others, the impatient lead-foots who can't stand being behind
> another car will have to wait a few seconds for me to complete my pass.

Who's to say that you're not impatient by not waiting until they've
passed you? If they're close enough to catch up with you in 11 seconds
or less, then you could have waited. Otherwise speed up while passing
if you don't want to wait in situations like that.

> I'm not out to impede anybody else, not on purpose.

But you don't care if you "incidently" do it.

> But at the same time I'm
> not about to let a hot-shot lead foot dick me around either.

Now we see who's passive agressive here.

>>The good thing about it is that you avoided making another driver slow
>>down, and you completed your pass sooner.

> At the cost of my own safety?

Hardly (see above). If you feel that 63 mph is the absolute upper limit
of how fast you can drive, then you shouldn't be driving anywhere near
that fast. On most interstates around here, I feel that absolute upper
limit of safety is around 130 mph or so. I usually drive 80 to 85.

> I think I'll charge him ten seconds instead.

You certainly have an attitude problem.