What exactly is "left lane blocking"?

Old March 24th 05, 11:23 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Arif Khokar" > wrote in message
news:gEF0e.13992$191.10244@trnddc02...
> Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:
>
>> * If I'm alongside a car I'm passing and see your car approaching at 80
>> from 1/4 mile behind, should I immediately abort my pass, even if it
>> means colliding with the car I'm passing? Or should I immediately slow
>> down to pull into the right lane to allow you to pass first?

> At 5 mph, it takes about 3 minutes to cover a quarter mile. Unless you
> plan on taking more than 3 minutes to pass, I wouldn't worry about it.

This is not my experience, Arif. If I'm doing 75 and another car passes me
at 80, they blow past me like a dry leaf in a stiff wind.

It doesn't matter anyway. Change the speeds if you like. The question
remains the same.

Old March 25th 05, 01:36 AM
Jim Yanik

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
news
> "Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
> .. .
>> "Harry K" > wrote in
>> oups.com:

>>> STKR does not
>>> apply while I am passing

>> SAYS WHO? It applies ALL the time.
>> Let's see a cite on that.

> Two questions, Jim. Both questions presume we're on a freeway, the
> speed limit is 65, and the car I'm passing at 75 is doing 70:
>
> * If I'm alongside a car I'm passing and see your car approaching at
> 80 from 1/4 mile behind, should I immediately abort my pass, even if
> it means colliding with the car I'm passing? Or should I immediately
> slow down to pull into the right lane to allow you to pass first?

You omitted the OTHER option;to speed up and complete the pass WITHOUT
hindering faster traffic.
Why would you pull out and knowingly make the other guy brake?
That's what you propose.

> * If I'm alongside a car I'm passing and decide to complete my pass
> even though it impedes you approaching me from 1/4 mile behind at 80,
> your car is delayed by perhaps 5-8 seconds max. Where is the harm?

You violated the Slower Traffic Keep Right rule(law?).
The harm is you interfering with the flow of faster traffic,which is what
the STKR is supposed to prevent.

> Okay, that's three questions. Whatever. Your response?

There is is.

I also note there is no cite to support the "ME First,you brake" behavior.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 25th 05, 01:38 AM
Jim Yanik

Arif Khokar > wrote in

> Big Bill wrote:
>
>> Maybe I haver a problem understanding what yiou mean because I read
>> what you wrote.

> The fact is that 2 people had no problem understanding what I wrote the
> first time and required no further clarification. You, OTOH, continue
> to purposefully sidetrack the discussion due to your inability to
> understand what I actually meant even after multiple clarifications.
>
> Either you're doing it on purpose as a form of entertainment, or you're
> mentally handicapped.

They aren't intentionally misinterpreting,they are trying(and failing) to
come up with some justification for their bad behavior.
They know very well what is being explained to them.They are not stupid.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Old March 25th 05, 03:10 AM
Harry K

Jim Yanik wrote:
> "Harry K" > wrote in
> oups.com:
>

> ><snip a whole bunch>
> > --

me

> >> Yes.
> >> Because it is wrong in this case.

> >> Actually,no you don't,as you are violating the slower traffic keep

> > right
> >> rule. Being first (me first) does not negate that rule.

> > Again, while I am passing I am not the slower traffic.

> If another car is approaching,YES YOU ARE.
>
> > STKR does not
> > apply while I am passing

> SAYS WHO? It applies ALL the time.
> Let's see a cite on that.
>
> > and you can run that by any LE officer,
> > traffic safety guy, or driving instructor you like with the

possible
> > exception of race conditions.

> >> evidently not so rare.

> >> Becuase I am not the one doing the "Me First,so you have to

> > brake(change
> >> YOUR driving)" shtick.
> >> You are.
> >>

> >> --
> >> Jim Yanik
> >> jyanik
> >> at
> >> kua.net

> > I knew you couldn't do it. I would like you to explain to me (and

the
> > others) just -how- is my causing you to slow down any more of a

MFFY
> > than you causing me to speed up? If it is an imposition on you to

slow
> > down, it is an imposition on me to speed up. I asked that before,

got
> > no answer and really expect nothing but more hand waving this time.
> >
> > Harry K
> >
> > Harry K
> >

> Once again;
> Becuase I am not the one doing the "Me First,so you have to

brake(change
> YOUR driving)" shtick.
> You are.
>

> --
> Jim Yanik
> jyanik
> at
> kua.net

SOS, same question, same dodge and same no answer to the question.
As to the STKR I told you to run it by various authorities if you
didn't believe me...you didn't.

Harry K

Old March 25th 05, 03:56 AM
Arif Khokar

Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:

> "Arif Khokar" > wrote:

>>>If I'm alongside a car I'm passing and see your car approaching at 80
>>>from 1/4 mile behind, should I immediately abort my pass, even if it
>>>means colliding with the car I'm passing? Or should I immediately slow
>>>down to pull into the right lane to allow you to pass first?

>>At 5 mph, it takes about 3 minutes to cover a quarter mile. Unless you
>>plan on taking more than 3 minutes to pass, I wouldn't worry about it.

> This is not my experience, Arif. If I'm doing 75 and another car passes me
> at 80, they blow past me like a dry leaf in a stiff wind.

Then I see the problem as one of two possibilites

1. You're unable to accurately estimate distance
2. You're unable to accurately estimate closing speed.

> It doesn't matter anyway. Change the speeds if you like. The question
> remains the same.

My answer is that you should complete the pass before the other car
catches up to you. The easiest way to do that without having to wait
for a long time is to either match or exceed the speed of the vehicle
behind you. Then, after completing your pass, slow down to your
previous cruising speed.

The good thing about it is that you avoided making another driver slow
down, and you completed your pass sooner.
Old March 25th 05, 04:13 AM
DTJ

On 23 Mar 2005 18:52:30 -0800, "Harry K" >
wrote:

>I knew you couldn't do it. I would like you to explain to me (and the
>others) just -how- is my causing you to slow down any more of a MFFY
>than you causing me to speed up? If it is an imposition on you to slow
>down, it is an imposition on me to speed up. I asked that before, got
>no answer and really expect nothing but more hand waving this time.

Simple. If I have to slow down for 10 minutes because you wouldn't
slow down for 10 seconds, you are an asshole. If I have to slow down
for 10 seconds because you started to pass someone a minute ago, no
big deal, no need to speed up.
Old March 25th 05, 04:15 AM
DTJ

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 23:23:12 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:

>This is not my experience, Arif. If I'm doing 75 and another car passes me
>at 80, they blow past me like a dry leaf in a stiff wind.

Here's your sign.
Old March 25th 05, 08:53 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
.. .
> "Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in
> news >
>> "Jim Yanik" .> wrote in message
>> .. .
>>> "Harry K" > wrote in
>>> oups.com:

>>> SAYS WHO? It applies ALL the time.
>>> Let's see a cite on that.

>> Two questions, Jim. Both questions presume we're on a freeway, the
>> speed limit is 65, and the car I'm passing at 75 is doing 70:
>>
>> * If I'm alongside a car I'm passing and see your car approaching at
>> 80 from 1/4 mile behind, should I immediately abort my pass, even if
>> it means colliding with the car I'm passing? Or should I immediately
>> slow down to pull into the right lane to allow you to pass first?

> You omitted the OTHER option;to speed up and complete the pass WITHOUT
> hindering faster traffic.
> Why would you pull out and knowingly make the other guy brake?
> That's what you propose.

Actually, Jim, that isn't at all what I proposed. And you doing 80 from 1/4
mile back weren't visible when I started to pass.

>> * If I'm alongside a car I'm passing and decide to complete my pass
>> even though it impedes you approaching me from 1/4 mile behind at 80,
>> your car is delayed by perhaps 5-8 seconds max. Where is the harm?

> You violated the Slower Traffic Keep Right rule(law?).
> The harm is you interfering with the flow of faster traffic,which is what
> the STKR is supposed to prevent.

The slower traffic is in the right lane. I'm passing him. You're going 15
mph over the speed limit which will earn you a ticket if caught. Even if
you aren't caught, wouldn't you say a car doing 80 in a 65 zone is a greater
hazard to surrounding traffic than a car passing at a elative 5 mph?

>> Okay, that's three questions. Whatever. Your response?

> There is is.
>
> I also note there is no cite to support the "ME First,you brake" behavior.

You're admitting facts not in evidence, Jim. It's easy to switch around the
facts to suit your position.

Old March 25th 05, 09:10 AM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Arif Khokar" > wrote in message
> Skip Elliott Bowman wrote:

>>>At 5 mph, it takes about 3 minutes to cover a quarter mile. Unless you
>>>plan on taking more than 3 minutes to pass, I wouldn't worry about it.

>> This is not my experience, Arif. If I'm doing 75 and another car passes
>> me at 80, they blow past me like a dry leaf in a stiff wind.

> Then I see the problem as one of two possibilites
>
> 1. You're unable to accurately estimate distance
> 2. You're unable to accurately estimate closing speed.

I don't have to estimate anything. My speedometer works fine.

Case in point: I'm coming home from the gig tonight, on a 6 lane freeway,
speed limit 55. There's a car in the right lane doing the speed limit and a
MLB perhaps 20 feet behind. I'm doing 63 in the right lane. I slow down
(by coasting, not braking) and clock the MLB at 55. Then I change to the
far left lane to pass, accellerating to 65. It takes me ten seconds (one
thousand one, one thousand two) to pass both vehicles at 65.

>> It doesn't matter anyway. Change the speeds if you like. The question
>> remains the same.

> My answer is that you should complete the pass before the other car
> catches up to you. The easiest way to do that without having to wait for
> a long time is to either match or exceed the speed of the vehicle behind
> you. Then, after completing your pass, slow down to your previous
> cruising speed.

I'm not going to speed up that fast just to accommodate a speeding driver.
If the car doing 80 has to brake, or any car has to brake on a freeway
(except in traffic jams), then there's something horribly wrong. Except in
emergencies, no one should ever have to brake on a freeway. The maneuver
you mention, Jim, I'll do only for emergency vehicles with their cherry lit
up. The others, the impatient lead-foots who can't stand being behind
another car will have to wait a few seconds for me to complete my pass. I'm
not out to impede anybody else, not on purpose. But at the same time I'm
not about to let a hot-shot lead foot dick me around either.

> The good thing about it is that you avoided making another driver slow
> down, and you completed your pass sooner.

At the cost of my own safety? I think I'll charge him ten seconds instead.

Old March 25th 05, 03:35 PM
Harry K

Scott en Aztl=E1n wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 22:13:45 -0600, DTJ > wrote:
>
> >On 23 Mar 2005 18:52:30 -0800, "Harry K" >
> >wrote:
> >
> >>I knew you couldn't do it. I would like you to explain to me (and

the
> >>others) just -how- is my causing you to slow down any more of a

MFFY
> >>than you causing me to speed up? If it is an imposition on you to

slow
> >>down, it is an imposition on me to speed up. I asked that before,

got
> >>no answer and really expect nothing but more hand waving this time.

> >Simple. If I have to slow down for 10 minutes because you wouldn't
> >slow down for 10 seconds, you are an asshole. If I have to slow

down
> >for 10 seconds because you started to pass someone a minute ago, no
> >big deal, no need to speed up.

> I disagree. There's no way it should take anywhere close to a minute
> to pass someone. If a driver began his pass "a minute ago" and he's
> still passing, something is seriously wrong.
>
> I'll further add that if Harry has an opportunity to return to the
> right lane in between vehicles that he is passing and he refuses to

do
> so to allow faster traffic to pass, he is also an asshole.
>
> --
> Sloth Kills!
> http://www.geocities.com/slothkills/

You are correct there. I return to the right lane as soon as I have
room to do so. If someone is on my bumper by the time I am past I will
even cut over with minimal (i.e., less than recommended) space.

Harry K