2004 accord - ATF and engine oil change

Old October 1st 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Default 2004 accord - ATF and engine oil change

Pszemol wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
> t...
>> Pszemol wrote:
>>> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>>> t...

>>> Pszemol does not have a synthetic attitude :-) I was just commenting
>>> his argument, that ATF Z1 might be synthetic and that is why it is so
>>> expensive compared to "dino" ATFs like Dexron II/III.
>>> My question "do you know for the fact if it is synthetic" is not an
>>> expression of any "attitude" toward anything. It is just a question.
>>> It is agreement to an idea that since synthetic engine oils are much
>>> more expensive than "dino" oils, the same can apply to ATF kinds.
>>>
>>> If you haven't noticed yet, it was not about switching to a different
>>> fluid in our hondas. It was just discussion about the ATF price iteself.
>>>
>>> p.s. why do you leave old citations on the bottom of your texts?
>>> It is so messy... this fragment is not relevant to your response.
>>> You can cut it out without impacting understanding of your answer.

>> troll.

> I see you finally understand your mistake and not having anything smart
> to add you call me names... how mature it is :-)

eh? me wondering if you speak english as a first language because you
have spectacular comprehension problems is not calling you names, it's
simply one of the conclusions you can draw from observing your behavior.
subsequently observing that you have more interest in arguing than you
do in cars, and eliminating the above, then makes you a troll.

Old October 1st 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"jim beam" > wrote in message
>>> troll.

>> I see you finally understand your mistake and not having anything smart
>> to add you call me names... how mature it is :-)

> eh? me wondering if you speak english as a first language because you
> have spectacular comprehension problems is not calling you names, it's
> simply one of the conclusions you can draw from observing your behavior.
> subsequently observing that you have more interest in arguing than you do
> in cars, and eliminating the above, then makes you a troll.

So if I draw a conclusion you are "Einsten", it will not be calling you
names?
:-)

Old October 18th 08, 04:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
John Horner

Pszemol wrote:

> The drain plug for the ATF is so close to the front bumper that you also
> do not need to crawl under the car at all. My ATF drain plug was for
> some reason put too tight so I had a hard time to crack it open even
> with a 24" breaker bar, but that only proves that *Honda dealerships do
> not follow the torque recommendations from the manufacturers* when they
> work on our cars. Engine oil drain plug (17mm) was also too tight.

I have done all the fluid changes on our Hondas from new, and in every
case I've found that the initial factory tightening of those drain bolts
was way, way over spec. Cracking them loose the first time was a real pain.

Old October 29th 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"John Horner" > wrote in message
> Pszemol wrote:
>>
>> The drain plug for the ATF is so close to the front bumper that you also
>> do not need to crawl under the car at all. My ATF drain plug was for some
>> reason put too tight so I had a hard time to crack it open even with a
>> 24" breaker bar, but that only proves that *Honda dealerships do not
>> follow the torque recommendations from the manufacturers* when they
>> work on our cars. Engine oil drain plug (17mm) was also too tight.

> I have done all the fluid changes on our Hondas from new, and in every
> case I've found that the initial factory tightening of those drain bolts
> was way, way over spec. Cracking them loose the first time was a real
> pain.

Yes, this is my experience as well.

The argument that this is "crush-washer" and that is why it needs to be
flatten like a souvenir penny at Disneyland is quite idiotic argument if
you consider the specified torque being too low to smash the washer.
It will be slightly crushed when you apply specified torque, it will bend
and compress little to match all surface inequality on the oil pan, but it
does not need to resemble flattened souvenier penny to do its job right.

Apparently some oil-change "experts" at Honda do not use torque
values given in the manual but take the crush-washer name as their
only guide instead. And they crush it with all the muscle they have :-)

99 Accord lx timing belt change Nick Honda 4 November 25th 05 09:17 PM
91 Accord - "Change oil" indicator is on but.... [email protected] Honda 13 May 15th 05 05:06 PM
accord trans fluid change karla Honda 6 February 28th 05 02:57 AM
Oil change 2004 Vue John Sloan Saturn 23 September 2nd 04 02:26 PM
2004 VUE V6 AWD - looking for oil change help jjp Saturn 1 June 21st 04 04:24 AM