steering wheel locks

Old July 19th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
dodger

Default steering wheel locks

I have a question that is causing a lot of concern.............I have
a 2002 L-Series Saturn and it has become increasingly difficult to get
the steering wheel to unlock so the car will start. Sometimes it
seems hard to get the key into the ignition and when the key does go
in, its hard to get the wheel to unlock. Once unlocked, the car starts
fine. May I ask if that sounds familiar at all and, if so, what might
be the cause.
Thank you for any response..
cheers
dodger
Old July 20th 08, 02:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
oppie

The key is supposed to work either side. I find it goes into the cylinder
easier on one side than the other. A tiny bit of grease applied to the tip
of the key may help. Insert it several times and then wipe off.
If you turned the wheel after the key was removed in order to seat the
locking pawl, the wheel may have to be slightly turned to take the load off
of the pawl before the key can be turned.
Make sense?
Oppie 2001 lw300

Old July 20th 08, 11:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
dodger

On Jul 19, 10:31*pm, "oppie" > wrote:
> The key is supposed to work either side. I find it goes into the cylinder
> easier on one side than the other. A tiny bit of grease applied to the tip
> of the key may help. Insert it several times and then wipe off.
> If you turned the wheel after the key was removed in order to seat the
> locking pawl, the wheel may have to be slightly turned to take the load off
> of the pawl before the key can be turned.
> Make sense?
> Oppie 2001 lw300
>
> "dodger" > wrote in message

> > I have a question that is causing a lot of concern.............I have
> > a 2002 L-Series Saturn and it has become increasingly difficult to get
> > the steering wheel to unlock so the car will start. Sometimes it
> > seems *hard to get the key into the ignition and when the key does go
> > in, its hard to get the wheel to unlock. Once unlocked, the car starts
> > fine. May I ask if that sounds familiar at all and, if so, what might
> > be the cause.
> > Thank you for any response..
> > cheers
> > dodger- Hide quoted text -

Will give it a try...many thanks
dodger
Old July 21st 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Jon Jon

It "might" be the key itself is shot -- my 1998 key was shot, it finally
STUCK in the ignition switch and I was lucky to get it out --- got a
replacement at Saturn for ( $35 ? ) .. they just required my
registration / driver's license -- took like 20 minutes.

Naturally, it hasn't stuck since.

Old July 29th 08, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
New & Improved - N/F John

I had a 2001 L200 that ate the keys. The keys got so worn you could remove
the key with the engine running. Sounds like the ignition locks were lousy
on these cars.

Old August 1st 08, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Gyzmologist[_2_]

New & Improved - N/F John wrote:
> I had a 2001 L200 that ate the keys. The keys got so worn you could remove
> the key with the engine running. Sounds like the ignition locks were lousy
> on these cars.
>
> "Jon Jon" > wrote in message
>> It "might" be the key itself is shot -- my 1998 key was shot, it finally
>> STUCK in the ignition switch and I was lucky to get it out --- got a
>> replacement at Saturn for ( $35 ? ) .. they just required my
>> registration / driver's license -- took like 20 minutes.
>>
>> Naturally, it hasn't stuck since.

A contact at a Saturn dealership tells me GM used a lot of Saab parts in
the L series, and they are a POC. I suggest you dump it and run!

--
Gyz

If a man is speaking in the middle of the forest and there is no woman
around to hear him, is he still wrong?

CJ Steering Gear Adjustment to Remove Steering Wheel Free Play MStevens003 Jeep 3 March 26th 07 01:13 AM
Help! Steering locks up. Paul Rood BMW 9 July 31st 06 10:23 AM
Pulsation in steering wheel caused by power steering pump or rack? [email protected] Technology 2 January 30th 06 03:53 PM
2001 Minivan - power steering locks up ng_reader Chrysler 3 June 3rd 05 02:14 AM
Best wheel lug locks letters Mazda 11 November 1st 04 08:32 PM