horse power question

Old July 18th 06, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Default horse power question

i want to measure my horse power without the run times. where could i
go so that i can just plug in the engine specs and get a good
guesstimate on my horse power?

Old July 18th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Grover C. McCoury III

You usually need more then just engine specs - check out the following estimators:

http://www.speedworldmotorplex.com/calc.htm
http://www.bgsoflex.com/roughhp.html
Yet another $.02 worth from a proud owner of a 1970 Mach 1 351C @ http://community.webshots.com/album/18644819fHAehGJAjt

Old July 18th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

there is no where i can just plug in the hardware it has? i have a cold
air induction, lunadi cams, a 3 inch x pipe, and mag headers,

Old July 18th 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

there is no where i can just plug in the hardware it has? i have a cold
air induction, lunadi cams, a 3 inch x pipe, and mag headers on a 91
mustang gt 5.0.

Old July 18th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
dave

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> there is no where i can just plug in the hardware it has? i have a cold
> air induction, lunadi cams, a 3 inch x pipe, and mag headers on a 91
> mustang gt 5.0.

there are some engine building software but its expensive and you have to
know almost every dimension and spec of every part
I can give you a ballpark figure
stock 91 mustang 225@4000
cai 1
lunadi cam 15
3 inch xpipe 5
headers 15

thats on a stock engine with just the parts you gave
you have also changed the range of peak horsepower which if it is a mild cam
is now about 4500pm
266 plus or minus 15hp
just ballpark but pretty close

Old July 19th 06, 04:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

i was told that the car can take off and go so fast the front will lift
up. then i was told by someone else that doing that takes 500+ horse
power. the lunati cam would only add 15 horse power? i dunno. thats a
lot of money for a little result. i think i may take it in and have it
measured. can anyone tell me what it would take to lift the front end
up. the car is stripped for drag racing. it has nothing other than the
essential things and battery is in the back.

Old July 20th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Blue Mesteno[_1_]

http://home.comcast.net/~vanguard92/
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> there is no where i can just plug in the hardware it has? i have a cold
> air induction, lunadi cams, a 3 inch x pipe, and mag headers on a 91
> mustang gt 5.0.

There is software, but is very often off by a fair margin (up to 30% in some
instances) compared to real dyno numbers. You need to either go ahead and
just buy the software, or find someone who has the software willing to run
the numbers for you. Remember you need to take elevation into consideration.
People generally forget this one. The difference between sea level and my
altitude in Denver was a drop in almost 100hp AND tq. BIG difference. Forced
induction here I come.....

--
Scott W.
'68 Ranchero 500 302

Old July 23rd 06, 04:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
oneadvent

i think in the end i'll just send myself to get a dyno test done. i
think it will be worth the money.