Original owners

Old March 1st 09, 10:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

Default Original owners

Are there any other original owners of the original explorers 91/92
still left here ???
Old March 2nd 09, 04:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
John Normile

Yep
'91 XLT with 156,000 and a manual transfer case.

Old March 2nd 09, 09:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> Are there any other original owners of the original explorers 91/92
> still left here ???

I bought my '91 and '92 used. But it was a long time ago.

Old March 4th 09, 08:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
T.Wood

wrote:

>Are there any other original owners of the original explorers 91/92
>still left here ???

Somebody at work bought a 1991/2 Explorer Sport and I really liked the
looks of it. It was a revolutionary vehicle. I'd never seen anything
like it (well, maybe there were Land Rovers, etc. in that era). But,
by the time I got around to buying an Explorer, it was a 1993 Explorer
Sport, Cayman Green, w/ 5 speed manual.

I still have it. It has 221,000 miles on it. I've put in a new fuel
sender/fuel pump, new fan clutch, new clutch/pressure plate/slave
cylinder, rebuilt the transmission, put new bearings in the rear end,
and put a new windshield in (rock chip that grew and grew), spark
plugs 3 times and spark plug wires once, new transfer case actuator, a
fuel pump relay, new console bracket.

I paid $18,500 for the vehicle new and all told, I've probably spent
about $4000 on maintenance including tires. I've done most of the
work myself. It has never let me down (always started and never had
to be towed). It's mostly been garaged at night. The original paint
still looks good. The leather seats still look OK (a few cracks, but
very serviceable for a 16 year old vehicle).

Perhaps the one laughable negative is that you can't use the cupholder
because the shifter will hit the drink when shifting to reverse or
4th. In fact, the owner's manual tells you NOT to use the cup holder
if you have the 5 speed manual transmission. That is a really stupid
human factors design, wouldn't you say? It's in the owner's manual,
so they clearly knew about it as a "defect". In the end, it's just a
nit.

I love it. I really love it. I still drive it about 3000 miles a
year. I couldn't get nearly enough money to replace the fun of
driving it, so I'll never sell it..

Old March 4th 09, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jack[_20_]

Ashton Crusher > wrote:

> Are there any other original owners of the original
> Explorers 91/92 still left here?

I don't own it any more, but I bought a new '92 EB 4-dr w/4WD in
the Fall of '91--one of my favorite vehicles, ever. Fit me like a
glove. I even tolerated the fact that the electro 4WD was hard to
keep operative.

I would have put manual hubs on it, but I loaned it to a friend in
2003 and it burned up (literally) shortly thereafter--a leak
somewhere in the fuel system, I think.

Jack
Old March 5th 09, 12:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 15:39:17 -0500, T.Wood > wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 15:47:50 -0700, Ashton Crusher >
>wrote:
>
>>Are there any other original owners of the original explorers 91/92
>>still left here ???

>Somebody at work bought a 1991/2 Explorer Sport and I really liked the
>looks of it. It was a revolutionary vehicle. I'd never seen anything
>like it (well, maybe there were Land Rovers, etc. in that era). But,
>by the time I got around to buying an Explorer, it was a 1993 Explorer
>Sport, Cayman Green, w/ 5 speed manual.
>
>I still have it. It has 221,000 miles on it. I've put in a new fuel
>sender/fuel pump, new fan clutch, new clutch/pressure plate/slave
>cylinder, rebuilt the transmission, put new bearings in the rear end,
>and put a new windshield in (rock chip that grew and grew), spark
>plugs 3 times and spark plug wires once, new transfer case actuator, a
>fuel pump relay, new console bracket.
>
>I paid $18,500 for the vehicle new and all told, I've probably spent
>about $4000 on maintenance including tires. I've done most of the
>work myself. It has never let me down (always started and never had
>to be towed). It's mostly been garaged at night. The original paint
>still looks good. The leather seats still look OK (a few cracks, but
>very serviceable for a 16 year old vehicle).
>
>Perhaps the one laughable negative is that you can't use the cupholder
>because the shifter will hit the drink when shifting to reverse or
>4th. In fact, the owner's manual tells you NOT to use the cup holder
>if you have the 5 speed manual transmission. That is a really stupid
>human factors design, wouldn't you say? It's in the owner's manual,
>so they clearly knew about it as a "defect". In the end, it's just a
>nit.
>
>I love it. I really love it. I still drive it about 3000 miles a
>year. I couldn't get nearly enough money to replace the fun of
>driving it, so I'll never sell it..

Mine doesn't get driven much anymore but when I do drive it I'm often
amazed at how well it's held up. It's our preferred vehicle for long
trips due to the quietness, roominess, decent ride, comfortable seats,
and good visibility. Gas mileage, not so much.
Old March 5th 09, 11:28 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
T.Wood

On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 17:50:22 -0700, Ashton Crusher >
wrote:

>On Wed, 04 Mar 2009 15:39:17 -0500, T.Wood > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 15:47:50 -0700, Ashton Crusher >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Are there any other original owners of the original explorers 91/92
>>>still left here ???

>Mine doesn't get driven much anymore but when I do drive it I'm often
>amazed at how well it's held up. It's our preferred vehicle for long
>trips due to the quietness, roominess, decent ride, comfortable seats,
>and good visibility. Gas mileage, not so much.

My gas mileage isn't too bad - it was about 20 mpg when the Explorer
was new and now it's about 18 mpg. For years, I could fill up for
about $12. Last year hurt. This year not too bad.

Old March 27th 09, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
dr bob

I bought mine in early 1992. Held on to it until a couple years ago.
Sold it with a little over 200k on it. 1992 4dr 4WD auto, black with
light grey leather sport seats. Still the original trans. I replaced
head gaskets and intake gaskets on the engine, and had the diff
rebuilt under warranty to cure a whine. Otherwise just consistent
maintenence stuff. Car ran and looked great when I let it go to an
employee who really needed something more reliable than his ancient
Chev Cavalier for his growing family.

I think I can stake some sort of claim to earliest ownership on this
list too.

Cheers!

dr bob