Alfa 147 Power Steering

Old December 30th 07, 04:50 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Woody[_4_]

Default Alfa 147 Power Steering

Hi, Can anyone advise on the most common cause of leaking power steering
fluid on a 53 plate Alfa 147 1.6TS?

Thanks to anyone able to help/advise.

--
Woody
Remove NOSPAM to reply.

Old December 30th 07, 05:01 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
SteveH

Woody > wrote:

> Hi, Can anyone advise on the most common cause of leaking power steering
> fluid on a 53 plate Alfa 147 1.6TS?
>
> Thanks to anyone able to help/advise.

Good question - I had a 155 that drank a full reservoir per week of the
stuff and never found the leak. Neither did Catman when I sold it to
him, or the person who bought it off him....

I suspect it was dripping from a union onto something hot and burning
off instantly.
Alfa 156 TSpark - B6 Passat 2.0TDI SE - COSOC KOTL
BOTAFOT #87 - BOTAFOF #18 - MRO # - UKRMSBC #7 - Apostle #2 - YTC #
Old December 30th 07, 06:56 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

SteveH wrote:
> Woody > wrote:
>
>> Hi, Can anyone advise on the most common cause of leaking power steering
>> fluid on a 53 plate Alfa 147 1.6TS?
>>
>> Thanks to anyone able to help/advise.

> Good question - I had a 155 that drank a full reservoir per week of the
> stuff and never found the leak. Neither did Catman when I sold it to
> him, or the person who bought it off him....
>
> I suspect it was dripping from a union onto something hot and burning
> off instantly.

Didn't someone say the hose actually became porous, so it seeped out
without actually dribbling (possibly by hitting the manifold)

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 145 2.0 Cloverleaf 156 V6 2.5 S2
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old January 7th 08, 11:00 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Dominic

Catman > wrote:
>SteveH wrote:
>> Woody > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, Can anyone advise on the most common cause of leaking power steering
>>> fluid on a 53 plate Alfa 147 1.6TS?
>>>
>>> Thanks to anyone able to help/advise.

>> Good question - I had a 155 that drank a full reservoir per week of the
>> stuff and never found the leak. Neither did Catman when I sold it to
>> him, or the person who bought it off him....
>>
>> I suspect it was dripping from a union onto something hot and burning
>> off instantly.

>Didn't someone say the hose actually became porous, so it seeped out
>without actually dribbling (possibly by hitting the manifold)

Mine (53 plate 147 1.6ts) had a split hose; fluid ran out overnight
onto the floor, but didn't leak (much, anyway) when the engine was actually
running. AA couldn't find the leak at all, topped it up, gave me a bottle of
fluid, and suggested I drove it to a garage asap. It was under warranty
at the time... happy days...

The split hose in question was, as I recall, hard to see behind a cover,
and it was a twin moulded one (figure of 8?) two hoses alongside each
other.

dom.

Old January 11th 08, 10:14 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Pete[_1_]

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 23:00:56 +0000 (UTC), Dominic
>, wrote:

>It was under warranty
>at the time

The eternal prayer of the AR owner

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso
Old January 17th 08, 04:09 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
davea

Had this problem on my Alfa 147 52 plate. Got the pipes replaced and
all was well. I did have a dealer warranty on it at the time and the
power steering leaked after owning the car for just over a week
(bought it in 2005). Took it back and had to fight to get it repaired
under warranty, apparantly the dealer covered faults in the power
steering system but that didn't include the pipes! I argued that the
"power steering system" should include everything to do with it and
they caved in. btw the bill was about £250 if I had to pay it.

Anyway, I'm going with everyone else here and it'll be the pipes/
hoses, whatever you want to call them, leaking. Alfa dealer will most
likely charge a couple of hundred quid. Take it to an independent
garage, if you know a good one, for a look if you are not sure how to
do it yourself. Probs cost you less than half than at an alfa dealer!