civic won't start after timing belt change-HELP!

Old November 21st 04, 07:57 AM
Ropert's Aloha

Default civic won't start after timing belt change-HELP!

Well just when I thought I'd did good, I must have messed up. I(a backyard
looser mechanic) replaced my timing belt and water pump on my 91 Civic Hatch
1500cc. After a successful ordeal getting the crankshaft pulley bolt off, I
thought I had made it. Well I must have messed up when I put the T-belt on.
The cam sprocket did move a tiny bit, so I moved it back to the side marks
and the up, straight up. Thought every thing was AOK. Put everything back
and it won't start up.

Went back and took just the top timing belt cover off and when the rotor
cap is pointed to the number one, the cam sprocket shows straight up and
side marks where they are supposed to be. What am I missing?

How can I tell if I'm off a tooth and would just being off one cause it not
to start at all?

thanks in advance

Gary now stranded.......

Old November 21st 04, 01:00 PM
John Ings

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 07:57:00 GMT, "Ropert's Aloha"
> wrote:

>Well just when I thought I'd did good, I must have messed up. I(a backyard
>looser mechanic) replaced my timing belt and water pump on my 91 Civic Hatch
>1500cc. After a successful ordeal getting the crankshaft pulley bolt off, I
>thought I had made it. Well I must have messed up when I put the T-belt on.
>The cam sprocket did move a tiny bit, so I moved it back to the side marks
>and the up, straight up. Thought every thing was AOK. Put everything back
>and it won't start up.
>
>Went back and took just the top timing belt cover off and when the rotor
>cap is pointed to the number one, the cam sprocket shows straight up and
>side marks where they are supposed to be. What am I missing?
>
>How can I tell if I'm off a tooth and would just being off one cause it not
>to start at all?

Did you do the usual check for fuel and spark?
It's natural to assume the belt is the problem but you may have
knocked off a wire somewhere. Did you change the fuel filter at the
same time by any chance?

Old November 21st 04, 01:00 PM
John Ings

Old November 21st 04, 04:41 PM
kyle lallave

i had the same prob with my 1995 civic...its was the coil in the distributor

Old November 21st 04, 04:41 PM
kyle lallave

Old November 21st 04, 09:43 PM
Ropert's Aloha

> Did you do the usual check for fuel and spark?

I checked for spark by simply taking out a plug and wire and then cranked. I
saw spark from the plug. I didn't do every plug, but assume that means I
have spark.

Did you change the fuel filter at the
> same time by any chance?

No, didn't change the fuel filter. How would I check for fuel? I really
didn't do anything but take the valve cover off and disconnected the air
cleaner. I looked at all the connections over and over. Maybe I'm missing
something...........

Old November 21st 04, 09:43 PM
Ropert's Aloha

Old November 21st 04, 09:46 PM
Ropert's Aloha

>i had the same prob with my 1995 civic...its was the coil in the
>distributor

But was it after changing the timing belt?? It started fine before changing
the T-belt. I have spark coming out of the plugs, wouldn't that mean the
coil is ok?

Old November 21st 04, 09:46 PM
Ropert's Aloha

Old November 21st 04, 11:06 PM
John Ings

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 21:43:47 GMT, "Ropert's Aloha"
> wrote:

>No, didn't change the fuel filter. How would I check for fuel?

There's usually a plug at the end of the fuel rail.

The reason I asked is this: If somehow the fuel system has been
drained, the short time the fuel pump runs when you turn the key on is
not enough to refill it. I once changed my fuel filter and then
wondered why the engine wouldn't start. The reason is that it takes
maybe a dozen key-on-key-off cycles without turning the engine over
before the fuel rail is filled and at full operating pressure. The ECU
will not let the pump run for more than a couple of seconds if the
engine is not running. The same situation can occur if you have
leaking injector.