02 Honda Accord

Old December 27th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default 02 Honda Accord

Has anyone replaced struts on a '02 Accord? I've replaced struts
before on other cars (BMW) but never on Honda. Is there anything
unique or tricky that I should know?

Old December 27th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

As the other post mentioned, these are coil over shocks because they do
not bear structural loads on multi-link Accords. On newer LX's they are
MacPherson struts, the SE's get the multi-links.

Pretty similar to struts in removal, except you have a pitch fork at
the bottom of the damper. BTW, the stock Showa units stink. If you
don't like the firmer ride of Bilstein HDs, check out the Gabriel
Ultras.

Old December 27th 06, 10:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I just bought this car and never owned a honda before...I assumed the
front end was macpherson strut suspension.

It's a DX if that makes any difference.

Anyway, the front pass. side shock failed. It's smooth and quiet for a
few cycles but then gets loud and rough...you can hear almost a
grinding sound and feel the roughness in the damper control rod at the
top mounting plate.

Old December 28th 06, 11:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

wrote in
ups.com:

> On Dec 26, 10:17 pm, High Tech Misfit > wrote:
>> wrote:
>> > Has anyone replaced struts on a '02 Accord? I've replaced struts
>> > before on other cars (BMW) but never on Honda. Is there anything
>> > unique or tricky that I should know?First of all, your Accord has
>> > shock absorbers and coil springs on all 4

>> corners, not struts.
>>
>> Second, why do you need to replace them?

> Thanks for your prompt reply.
>
> I just bought this car and never owned a honda before...I assumed the
> front end was macpherson strut suspension.
>
> It's a DX if that makes any difference.
>
> Anyway, the front pass. side shock failed. It's smooth and quiet for
> a few cycles but then gets loud and rough...you can hear almost a
> grinding sound and feel the roughness in the damper control rod at the
> top mounting plate.

Replacement is pretty easy, and does not require suspension realignment
after.

You *will* need an impact wrench (electric is fine) and a proper spring
compressor. Loosen the damper fork pinch bolt and the fork's bottom bolt
BEFORE removing the damper assembly from the vehicle.

And change BOTH sides at the same time! Do not try to get away with
changing just one. Dangerous handling can result.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old January 2nd 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Great! Thank you for your reply!

Does the new shock cartridge need to be pressed into the fork? Or does
losening the clamp bolt allow you to easily remove and then replace the
cartridge?