99' tcase grinds in high (only)

Old April 26th 09, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
PeterD

Default 99' tcase grinds in high (only)

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 08:00:55 -0700, "Ulysses"
> wrote:

>"PeterD" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 15:12:07 -0400, PeterD > wrote:
>> >
>> >Wow, does sound like the same problem. And as well, that is almost
>> >exactly what I figured it would be!
>> >
>> >Q: (If you know) the brown wire modification... Can a wire be cut at
>> >the tcase to have the same effect so that we don't have to pull the
>> >dash apart? (is the lock clutch locked with +12V or unlocked? <g>)
>> >
>> >I appreciate your help, it's been great.

>> Simple solution: removed the front drive shaft. I like that better,
>> some day it can be replaced when someone rebuilds the tcase...

>I've read of others doing that too but to me it didn't sound like that would
>work in your case because you said you had "no motion."

In low range we have motion, nothing in high... So it worked OK. Just
top speed is limited.

>> The kid has decided she wants a new car, can't blaim her. Probably
>> will do "As-is, needs work on tcase" type of ad.

>Someone who knows how to fix it will get a good deal then. What I like
>about my Explorers is, so far, nothing has gone wrong (outside of needing a
>rebuilt transmission) that I couldn't fix myself. And I'm no master
>mechanic by any means.

It would not be a difficult fix at all (I could easily do it, I've a
full shop) but the kid doesn't want to fix it! (She want's a new(er)
car instead. Since she has no mechanical abilities to speak of,
teaching her is not as attractive as it might be.
Old April 26th 09, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
PeterD

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 07:57:21 -0700, "Ulysses"
> wrote:

>I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. From what I've read if you
>disconnect the wire in the wrong place it will result in a CEL light or
>flashing 4WD light. I didn't think taking apart the dash was all that
>difficult, just a couple of screws and some gentle prying to pop it off.
>Then you have to remove the GCM (?) or some-such module to get to the wires.
>The biggest problem I had was finding the brown wire. I found lots of other
>wires but it turned out to be just like the brown wire that goes to the TC.
>

>> I appreciate your help, it's been great.

>This NG used to be a lot more active with a lot more input from more people.
>I guess everyone is going to forums now. In any case I've always managed to
>get enough info to keep my old Fords in good running order.

Yep, I've seen the same things on the other forums too... Usenet is
dying, sad to say.

I think I've gotten it patched enough to allow her to try to either
trade or sell it. Maybe she can hit a "We'll give you $2000 if it
makes it into our lot" sale! <bg>
Old April 26th 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"PeterD" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 07:57:21 -0700, "Ulysses"
> > wrote:
>

> >I don't know for sure, but I don't think so. From what I've read if you
> >disconnect the wire in the wrong place it will result in a CEL light or
> >flashing 4WD light. I didn't think taking apart the dash was all that
> >difficult, just a couple of screws and some gentle prying to pop it off.
> >Then you have to remove the GCM (?) or some-such module to get to the

wires.
> >The biggest problem I had was finding the brown wire. I found lots of

other
> >wires but it turned out to be just like the brown wire that goes to the

TC.

> >> I appreciate your help, it's been great.

> >This NG used to be a lot more active with a lot more input from more

people.
> >I guess everyone is going to forums now. In any case I've always managed

> >get enough info to keep my old Fords in good running order.
> >

> Yep, I've seen the same things on the other forums too... Usenet is
> dying, sad to say.

Yea, it looks that way. First IRC faded away rather quickly when places
like Yahoo! started having chat rooms, then those chat rooms got overtaken
by third world terrorists or something. I'm thinking about going back to
IRC and taking another look.

Old April 26th 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"PeterD" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 08:00:55 -0700, "Ulysses"
> > wrote:
>

> >"PeterD" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> Simple solution: removed the front drive shaft. I like that better,
> >> some day it can be replaced when someone rebuilds the tcase...

> >I've read of others doing that too but to me it didn't sound like that

would
> >work in your case because you said you had "no motion."

> In low range we have motion, nothing in high... So it worked OK. Just
> top speed is limited.
>

> >> The kid has decided she wants a new car, can't blaim her. Probably
> >> will do "As-is, needs work on tcase" type of ad.

> >Someone who knows how to fix it will get a good deal then. What I like
> >about my Explorers is, so far, nothing has gone wrong (outside of needing

> >rebuilt transmission) that I couldn't fix myself. And I'm no master
> >mechanic by any means.
> >

> It would not be a difficult fix at all (I could easily do it, I've a
> full shop) but the kid doesn't want to fix it! (She want's a new(er)
> car instead. Since she has no mechanical abilities to speak of,
> teaching her is not as attractive as it might be.

Mine actually wants an older car: 1965 Mustang. I told her she'd better
marry a really good mechanic.

Old April 27th 09, 02:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
PeterD

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 13:15:48 -0700, "Ulysses"
> wrote:

>"PeterD" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 08:00:55 -0700, "Ulysses"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >"PeterD" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >I've read of others doing that too but to me it didn't sound like that

>would
>> >work in your case because you said you had "no motion."

>> In low range we have motion, nothing in high... So it worked OK. Just
>> top speed is limited.

>> >Someone who knows how to fix it will get a good deal then. What I like
>> >about my Explorers is, so far, nothing has gone wrong (outside of needing

>> >rebuilt transmission) that I couldn't fix myself. And I'm no master
>> >mechanic by any means.
>> >

>> It would not be a difficult fix at all (I could easily do it, I've a
>> full shop) but the kid doesn't want to fix it! (She want's a new(er)
>> car instead. Since she has no mechanical abilities to speak of,
>> teaching her is not as attractive as it might be.

>Mine actually wants an older car: 1965 Mustang. I told her she'd better
>marry a really good mechanic.

I had a bunch of old Falcons (which the early Mustang was based on)
and they were great! I'd say if she doesn't mind getting her hands
dirty, it could be a good thing. (safety issues aside...)

94 Wrangler grinds shifting into 4th, HELP! Please L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III[_106_] Auto Photos 2 July 4th 07 02:48 AM
towing a 1984 cj7 with a dana 300 Tcase [email protected] Jeep 9 May 6th 07 10:15 PM
231 tcase philthy[_1_] Jeep 4 March 26th 07 12:34 AM
1996 Cherokee 1 inch tcase drop John W. Jeep 6 February 3rd 06 08:05 AM
differential grinds when I turn americanbuyer Jeep 11 November 26th 05 07:28 PM