Volvo 240 (1990) running hot - flushed coolant, but???

Old July 10th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
lolo

Default Volvo 240 (1990) running hot - flushed coolant, but???

My 1990 Volvo 240 wagon runs a little hot when in traffic on a hot day.
It doesn't overheat, but it still makes me nervous. I flushed the
coolant, and it still does it. I also cleaned the contacts on the
temp. compensation board and installed a new thermostat. The heater
seems OK. When i turn off the heat, it stay on for a while while I am
trying to get cold air out. It is kind of a strange cooling system on
this car, there is no radiator cap, and no drain plug either - you just
take the lower radiator hose off and watch coolant go everywhere except
in the container it is supposed to. My last vehicle was a toyota truck
from the 80s and it did the same thing when I got it, but flushing it
out worked perfectly, because there was a bunch of gunk in there. The
volvo coolant seemed clean.....

Do I just need to re-flush that shizzle, or??? I have never had this
happen on any of my cars where it would not go away.

Old July 10th 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_9_]

lolo Wrote:
> My 1990 Volvo 240 wagon runs a little hot when in traffic on a hot day.
> It doesn't overheat, but it still makes me nervous. I flushed the
> coolant, and it still does it. I also cleaned the contacts on the
> temp. compensation board and installed a new thermostat. The heater
> seems OK. When i turn off the heat, it stay on for a while while I am
> trying to get cold air out. It is kind of a strange cooling system on
> this car, there is no radiator cap, and no drain plug either - you just
> take the lower radiator hose off and watch coolant go everywhere except
> in the container it is supposed to. My last vehicle was a toyota truck
> from the 80s and it did the same thing when I got it, but flushing it
> out worked perfectly, because there was a bunch of gunk in there. The
> volvo coolant seemed clean.....
>
> Do I just need to re-flush that shizzle, or??? I have never had this
> happen on any of my cars where it would not go away.

you've either got some air trapped in the cooling sytem, or your
radiator fans aren't cycling properly...

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=219638

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old July 10th 06, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

lolo wrote:
> My 1990 Volvo 240 wagon runs a little hot when in traffic on a hot day.
> It doesn't overheat, but it still makes me nervous. I flushed the
> coolant, and it still does it. I also cleaned the contacts on the
> temp. compensation board and installed a new thermostat. The heater
> seems OK. When i turn off the heat, it stay on for a while while I am
> trying to get cold air out.

That's normal...there is usually residual heat. Turn the AC on for a
mement and that will extract heat quickly.

> It is kind of a strange cooling system on
> this car, there is no radiator cap, and no drain plug either - you just
> take the lower radiator hose off and watch coolant go everywhere except
> in the container it is supposed to.

No cap...not possible. There should be one on the expansion tank that
connects to the radiator. Is the expansion tank filled to the proper
level?

> My last vehicle was a toyota truck
> from the 80s and it did the same thing when I got it, but flushing it
> out worked perfectly, because there was a bunch of gunk in there. The
> volvo coolant seemed clean.....

The truck has no bearing on this problem...not sure why you brought it
up.

> Do I just need to re-flush that shizzle, or??? I have never had this
> happen on any of my cars where it would not go away.

Shizzle???

You may have an air bubble in the cooling system. Did you bleed the
cooling system when the fluid was drained out?

If your car has a viscous damped fan that may not be operating
properly, or the belt may be loose. If you car has electric fans then
one may not be working properly.

Old July 10th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
sdlomi2[_1_]

"John S." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> lolo wrote:
>> My 1990 Volvo 240 wagon runs a little hot ...

One thing mo Are you sure it is really heating? Try checking the
temp. with another method--always a possibility the gauge is giving
inaccurate readings. Hope this is the case. s

Old July 10th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
sdlomi2[_1_]

ups.com...

Old July 10th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
lolo

Sorry, what I meant was the radiator cap is not on the radiator, it's
on a reservor to the side, which is weird to me. I am used to being
able to look down into the radiator to see what condition or how full
it is.

Old July 10th 06, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
lolo

Yeah I hope so too. That was what I mentioned about the temerature
compensation board. On these 240s, the Temp comp. board can start
going out, and then you have no idea if it's actually hot or not. The
sypmtoms only happen when it SHOULD be hot, though (stuck idleing for a
long time in 90 degree weather), so I leaning toward the air bubble in
the cooling. How do I bleed the cooling system? I've done that on
Hondas that have bleeder valves, but it seems like it could get real
messy real fast on this beast.

If there is air in the system, will it eventually work it's way into
the reservoir? That's what I was counting on... I have never had a
vehicle that didn't have the cooling system cap on the top of the
radiator, but I assumed it was the same/ similar.

It is a mechanical fan and the fan clutch seems OK. When I was
flushing it, I had the lower radiator disconnected pointing downward
into a bucket, and while running the engine, not much was coming out...
maybe I didn't run it long enough for the thermo to open.

thanks for the ideas!

loren

Old July 11th 06, 11:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
sdlomi2[_1_]

"lolo" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> OK, nobody's talking, so I'm gonna throw out what I think might work.

Sorry for not answering, as I had hoped for a more knowledgeable one
than I would answer. My only thought is to try and find a heater hose whose
height is physically above the radiator top & burp it through there--maybe
even fill it from there. Luck to you & please post back as to what you
found that works. s

Old July 15th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
lolo

the more I have been thinking about this (don't have time to work on
car during the week because of stupid work), it has to be air in there.
The expansion tank (i even figured out what that's called) hose enters
the radiator in the middle (from top to bottom), so it only makes
sense that there would be a LOT of air trapped in there, since the only
place it would have been able to escape would have been the top
radiator hose. I will burp it later, and I'm sure it's gonna be fine.
I've been driving it, and under normal condition the temp. is perfect -
no false readings from the gauge - fan clutch still seems fine, so if
burping don't fix it, I drive the car off a cliff and everything is
settled!

thanks to everyone who gave me ideas and good advice!