transmission mount on a CJ

Old April 2nd 06, 08:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default transmission mount on a CJ

Whats the best way to change one of these? I have a 76-cj5 and the shift
lever moves considerably when the engine is under a load.

I was just wondering how to support things while the skid plate is
removed..doesnt it hold the tranny and TC up?

thanks guys!

Old April 2nd 06, 09:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Steve G did pass the time by typing:
> Whats the best way to change one of these? I have a 76-cj5 and the shift
> lever moves considerably when the engine is under a load.
>
> I was just wondering how to support things while the skid plate is
> removed..doesnt it hold the tranny and TC up?
>
> thanks guys!

Probably close to what I do.
http://revbeergoggles.com/motormount/

--
DougW

Old April 2nd 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"DougW" > wrote in news:qGLXf.8986$FD4.2177
@dukeread07:

> Steve G did pass the time by typing:
>> Whats the best way to change one of these? I have a 76-cj5 and the shift
>> lever moves considerably when the engine is under a load.
>>
>> I was just wondering how to support things while the skid plate is
>> removed..doesnt it hold the tranny and TC up?
>>
>> thanks guys!

> Probably close to what I do.
> http://revbeergoggles.com/motormount/

I actually had printed out that page for reference, a couple weeks ago, as
I did mine. It was far more helpfull than the Chilton manual.

Thanks,
rufus

Old April 2nd 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I would be checking the engine mounts first. You can have someone watch
the engine as you let out the clutch in 1st while holding the brake
down. Do the same in reverse. If the engine lifts on either, you have
a busted mount. To check the tranny mount, I just lay under and lift
and push on the tail piece to see if it moves around.

It has an outrigger mount likely too.

You can put a jack or axle stand under the tailpiece or right at the
front of the tranny/skid plate to hold it up, but I shudder at the
though of trying to remove a skid plate that old. Visions of grinding
off nuts, spun nutserts and snapped bolts and welders keep going through
my head....

I think I would try and undo the mount, then lift up on the tail piece
to try and get the old mount to slide out.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 3rd 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Thanks.. thinking about replacing all three mounts at same time to keep
every thing straight anyway.

Old April 3rd 06, 07:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Maybe four: http://www.billhughes.com/cj7stablizerMount.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old April 3rd 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Just be careful with the engine mounts. They are reverse of each other
on either side of the engine so their safety loop limits the sideways
movement of the mount's rubber. That is so you can't just tear them
apart first time you hit low range.

I also highly recommend you get OEM mounts, not aftermarket ones. I
totally destroy aftermarket mounts on mine. I literally shattered the
last one. The rubber was still holding, but the metal plates were
crumbled.

Mike

Old April 4th 06, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I will see if I kept it when I go out tomorrow.

You know that metal plate that fell off the rubber part? Think that
shattered into pieces still stuck to the rubber....

It is because of my tall gears, 3.31's and 33x9.5" muds that just don't
spin. It stresses the crap out of the engine mounts and frame.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 5th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Sounds similar to my 33x10.50 with 3.54's =)

i bet yours has better low range than the dana20 TC though...

Old April 6th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I posted a couple photos over on alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4

My 258 is manually tuned up with an Accel Supercoil and a straight pipe
to a Dynomax Turbo muffler. It is tuned to pass emissions with nice
numbers despite not needing a Cat converter.

I will light up the 33's from a start, hit 52 mph at 4400 rpm in 2nd, a
quick 75 mph in 3rd, 4th buries the speedo and I have no urge to see how
fast 5th will go.....

Mike