fuel guage/fuel pump

Old January 5th 05, 12:36 AM
Elaine again ^,,^

Default fuel guage/fuel pump

Since my mechanic replaced the fuel pump and flushed out all the
anti-freeze, the fuel gauge doesn't work, it's staying on full. Is there
a fix for that? Thanks from a woman driver driving for 45 years. I love
my Saturn.

Old January 5th 05, 11:15 PM
Elaine again ^,,^

Can nobody help me?

Old January 6th 05, 12:39 AM
RKHenry

"Elaine again ^,,^" > wrote in message
> Since my mechanic replaced the fuel pump and flushed out all the
> anti-freeze, the fuel gauge doesn't work, it's staying on full. Is there
> a fix for that? Thanks from a woman driver driving for 45 years. I love
> my Saturn.

One guess is that the fuel gauge sender has been damaged by the fuel
contamination. Replacement will likely be necessary.

Another guess is that when the fuel pump was replaced that a connection was
disturbed somehow. It happens sometimes, even to the best mechanics.

In either case, I'd guess the best recourse is another visit to the shop.

BTW, did you notify your insurance company about the fuel
contamination/vandalism? They might be able to help you if you're carrying
comprehensive coverage.

Bob Henry

Old January 6th 05, 10:10 AM
Elaine again ^,,^

Thanks for your help. I didn't have comprehensive ins.when this
happened, I do now also a gas cap lock.

Old January 11th 05, 02:39 PM
Oppie

I can't remember exactly if the gauge goes to full or empty if the sensor is
unplugged. If you are very lucky, when they replaced the fuel pump, they
forgot to re-connect one of the harnesses. Getting to the fuel pump and/or
fuel sender on most vehicles requires part of the exhaust system to be
removed and the tank removed from the car. Very few cars these days have an
access to the top of the tank from inside the trunk.
If it is not a disconnected sensor, either the sensor element may have
been damaged and it has to be replaced or the mechanical linkage was jammed
while the fuel pump was being removed. Either way you should see what the
shop that did the repair will make good on for you. (good luck)
Oppie
(male) driver for 37 years

ps what's with the ^,,^? Twin Peaks fan or just perky...

Old January 12th 05, 12:33 AM
Elaine again ^,,^

The ^,,^ is the top of a cat's head silly. Thanks for your help., My
cats have never been in my Saturn but it's full of cat hair that flies
off my clothing.

Old January 12th 05, 01:19 AM
Oppie

Right! Now it makes sense.
We have one cat and one Cocker Spaniel. Dog wears a harness that attaches to
the seatbelt. We also have a blanket over the back seat (with holes for the
seat belt buckles). Keeps the grey interior a bit cleaner.
Cat only travels in a carrier (and not well at that).

If you like ASCII art, check out http://www.asciimation.co.nz/
A good chunk of the original Star Wars movie done in ASCII animation.

Old January 12th 05, 09:56 AM
Elaine again ^,,^

If you cover the cat carrier with a towel or something, the cat will
calm down. Works everytime.