Damn pigs need a good kicking in the teeth...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 2nd 05, 08:45 AM
Cory Dunkle

"jaybird" > wrote in message

> "Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> > It's important to make a paper trail documenting this and other

incidents.
> > Nothing may come of this one incident, but it can be used as documented
> > proof that misconduct is happening.
> >
> > The cops are required by federal law to answer your questions and give

you
> > an opportunity to lodge written complaints, no matter the content. To
> > refuse is illegal, plain and simple. To harass a complainant is also
> > illegal.

> Which federal law would that be? And yes, cops do give you every
> opportunity to lodge a complaint. What happens after that depends on the
> business the cop was conducting at the time. Remember that emergency
> vehicles are not normal traffic whether they are operating with lights and
> siren or not.
>
> If the complaint is unfounded, since emergency vehicles are exempt from
> traffic law when in the performance of their duties, how would you show

this
> as misconduct? I agree that none of us here know what was going on that
> prompted the behavior but you and the OP automatically assume that the cop
> did this without cause when it sounds to me like he was en route to a call
> and was cancelled, or sent to a different call during this.

Regardless, if it's okay for a cop to be doing 40-50 MPH with no lights or
siren in a residential zone with children and familys out and about it ought
to be okay fore everyone and the road should be psoted at that speed.
However, 50 MPH is totally unsafe in such an area, which is why speeds are
typically 25-30 MPH in such areas. Exceeding that speed is unsafe, and if an
emergency vehicle is exceeding that speed it should be for an emergency,
which warrants the use of at least lights, if not siren... Something to make
the emergency vehicle more visible, which is traveling at speeds
significantly faster than what is safe in such an area. A car going 50 MPH
in an area traffic normally goes 25-30 will omce up on a pedestrian very
quickly. It's downright reckless to be driving at those speeds in such a
place. Even assuming the emergency vehicle was on a call, that does not
change the fact that the bahavior was reckless and endangering the lives of
the people out and about in that area.

Cory