Can an older Hybrid run without its battery after it dies?

Old July 8th 05, 01:11 PM
TWW

> wrote in message
> TWW > wrote:
> > You have a point I agree with. We have a standard Civic LX (03) as a

third
> > car I drive on I 75 several times a week to work. Get right at 37-38

per
> > gallon of regular running 75 to 80. From what I understand the hybrid

Civic
> > does not do much better than that.

> 42mpg at 80mph with automatic and air, two passengers, in a Civic Hybrid.
>
> --
> ---
> Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8,-122.5

Point made. Given the additional cost of the hybrid, you won't recoup the
difference in gas and tax savings.

Old July 8th 05, 01:33 PM
jim beam

SoCalMike wrote:
> MAT wrote:
>
>>> I may replace the battery at ~100k miles, but that second battery
>>> will likely not be replaced if it dies. This is my conundrum. Can
>>> the car run from 150k miles to 200k miles with no big battery, just a
>>> little car with a little motor?
>>>

>> Get the Jazz next year and be done with it. If I was to consider such
>> a zany idea, I would get a motorcycle and take the bus when I couldn't
>> ride.
>>

> i second that. im holding out for the jazz, even though my 98 CX is in
> mint shape. i kinda like the scion xA, though, as well. size/space is a
> major factor, since my garage is so small. had to buy JDM folding
> mirrors to fit in there next to the motorcycle

lack of folding mirrors is one of the things i hate the most about the
north american 96-00 civics - if you've ever been clipped by someone's
mirror while riding your bike, you'll know why. just can't understand
how the law allows it here - folding mirrors are /required/ in most
other markets.

where did you get the folding ones? i'd be interested in a pair.

Old July 8th 05, 03:54 PM

> lack of folding mirrors is one of the things i hate the most about the
> north american 96-00 civics - if you've ever been clipped by someone's
> mirror while riding your bike, you'll know why. just can't understand
> how the law allows it here - folding mirrors are /required/ in most
> other markets.

Folding mirrors are about the first de-content item on the list, when
foreign manufacturers start building in U.S./Canada/Mexico. I think
the whole idea was to allow closer packing of imports on the cargo
ship. No cargo ship involved means no folding mirror is needed.

Still, it is desirable for other reasons. I can't imagine driving so
close to a bicycle that it is an issue. Surely you mean YOU clipped a
stationary car??

I think the Toyota Solara mirrors are funny: They're designed to look
like they fold. They don't.

Old July 8th 05, 04:53 PM
Abeness

jim beam wrote:
> lack of folding mirrors is one of the things i hate the most about the
> north american 96-00 civics - if you've ever been clipped by someone's
> mirror while riding your bike, you'll know why.

Boy am I glad I got a 94, then. I absolutely LOVE those folding mirrors.
Discourages the local schmuck-teenagers from screwing with my mirrors.

I wouldn't expect drivers to fold 'em in to protect bikers (bicyclists),
though, that's expecting too much. You just gotta be adept/conscious
enough to avoid the mirrors, Jim. ;-) I live in NYC, with its fair share
of narrow streets and insane drivers. Mirrors sticking out are just a
fact of life.

Abe
Old July 8th 05, 05:58 PM

SoCalMike > wrote:

> no matter how ya cut it, its still not worth it compared to, say, a
> nineties civic hatch.

But I don't _want_ a 90's car. I want a 2003 or later.

--
---

Old July 8th 05, 11:16 PM
MAT

> I wouldn't expect drivers to fold 'em in to protect bikers (bicyclists),
> though, that's expecting too much. You just gotta be adept/conscious
> enough to avoid the mirrors, Jim. ;-) I live in NYC, with its fair share
> of narrow streets and insane drivers. Mirrors sticking out are just a fact
> of life.

I bet the gist is that if a car with folding mirrors drives by and tags you,
you have a fighting chance if the mirror folds upon itself. With a fixed
mirror you just plain get tagged and hope for the best.

Old July 8th 05, 11:30 PM
Abeness

MAT wrote:
> I bet the gist is that if a car with folding mirrors drives by and tags you,
> you have a fighting chance if the mirror folds upon itself. With a fixed
> mirror you just plain get tagged and hope for the best.

That does make more sense, thanks.
Old July 8th 05, 11:45 PM
SoCalMike

MAT wrote:
>>I wouldn't expect drivers to fold 'em in to protect bikers (bicyclists),
>>though, that's expecting too much. You just gotta be adept/conscious
>>enough to avoid the mirrors, Jim. ;-) I live in NYC, with its fair share
>>of narrow streets and insane drivers. Mirrors sticking out are just a fact
>>of life.

> I bet the gist is that if a car with folding mirrors drives by and tags you,
> you have a fighting chance if the mirror folds upon itself. With a fixed
> mirror you just plain get tagged and hope for the best.

or the other way around.

if i didnt have folding mirrors on my civic, ida likely taken off the
passenger side one unwillingly, while pulling into the garage.

as for the poster that wanted the JDM part number? the place where i
bought em mysteriously peeled the honda PN labels from the boxes. hmmmm.
i guess its because i likely got overcharged and could have bought the
mirrors online from a dealer for less than the $240 i paid for the pair.

so i went to the garage, and looked at the bottom mount for the drivers
side mirror... it says:

K94
E6 (in circle)
III
014757
02*4757
and some kanji symbols...

and its definately JDM, since the drivers side view is too close for the
car- obviously intended for a RHD application

googling doesnt come up with much
Old July 9th 05, 01:41 AM
jim beam

SoCalMike wrote:
> MAT wrote:
>
>>> I wouldn't expect drivers to fold 'em in to protect bikers
>>> (bicyclists), though, that's expecting too much. You just gotta be
>>> adept/conscious enough to avoid the mirrors, Jim. ;-) I live in NYC,
>>> with its fair share of narrow streets and insane drivers. Mirrors
>>> sticking out are just a fact of life.

>> I bet the gist is that if a car with folding mirrors drives by and
>> tags you, you have a fighting chance if the mirror folds upon itself.
>> With a fixed mirror you just plain get tagged and hope for the best.
>>

> or the other way around.
>
> if i didnt have folding mirrors on my civic, ida likely taken off the
> passenger side one unwillingly, while pulling into the garage.
>
> as for the poster that wanted the JDM part number? the place where i
> bought em mysteriously peeled the honda PN labels from the boxes. hmmmm.
> i guess its because i likely got overcharged and could have bought the
> mirrors online from a dealer for less than the $240 i paid for the pair.
>
> so i went to the garage, and looked at the bottom mount for the drivers
> side mirror... it says:
>
> K94
> E6 (in circle)
> III
> 014757
> 02*4757
> and some kanji symbols...
>
> and its definately JDM, since the drivers side view is too close for the
> car- obviously intended for a RHD application
>

> googling doesnt come up with much

hmm, thanks for that. what's the deal in canada tegger? do they have
the folding ones up there?

new alternator - battery light on, but still charging at 16v? [email protected] Technology 8 February 11th 05 11:38 PM
Civic Hybrid [email protected] Honda 8 December 12th 04 05:38 PM
Battery replacement comments and questions Tom's VR6 VW water cooled 1 November 12th 04 07:12 PM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 11:54 PM
Replacing Corroded Battery Cables for SL1 2000 Chris Gutierrez Saturn 2 June 28th 04 03:40 AM