A/C problem

Old June 28th 05, 01:20 AM
Earle Horton

If the big line going to the cab is not cold, then you don't have enough
refrigerant in your system. I do not have a good source of theory handy,
but my basic air conditioning service manual says over and over again, that
R-134a systems cannot be charged by the pressure method. "The only way" is
to evacuate the system and then charge to the proper weight of refrigerant.
I didn't get anywhere with my old Suburban until I started believing the
authors of this book. Now, the AC has been working for two years without
fail. (The new O-rings, compressor, hoses and orifice didn't hurt.)

You can charge refrigerant until the return line (the big one) from the cab
is cold, and your system will work for a while, but it won't be right. You
will either have too much or too little refrigerant in there, and combined
with your leak this is going to mean a system that only works for a couple
of months, if that. When your system is evacuated (which will happen soon,
one way or the other) I recommend replacing all the O-rings and any hose
that is wet with refrigeration oil.

Earle

Old June 28th 05, 03:13 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

ok you guys
here goes,,, the line going from the accumulator to the evaporator should not
be cold. It will probably be warm because it is liquid refrigerant under
high pressure. The line coming back to the compressor should be colder than
the other line.
Two lines going into the cab. One warmer than the other, and....the one
returning to the compressor should be the colder of the two.
I'll have to check your 134 theory, but it's probably a mixed refrigerant,
and if thats the case, it needs to be dumped and recharged as a whole because
it is more than 1 refrigerant combined together, and they will leak at
different rates. Thats why it must be dumped and recharged as a whole. I
just can't remember the make up of 134a and whether this is a mixed gas or
not without looking at the jug....

Old June 28th 05, 03:18 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

and you can charge off of pressure........here's how
look at the pressure on your gauge on the low side. Look at the
corresponding temp referring to 134a on the gauge. The temperature of the
line RETURNING to the compressor should be 8-16 degrees F higher than the
temp reading on the gauge. This is known as SUPERHEAT. Some will tell you
to take the air discharge temperature, but is a completely inaccurate way of
obtaining the superheat. Too many variables to screw up the temp. Not
enough air flow, etc.....the list goes on. Take the line temp. BUT caution.
If the temp of the line matches or is lower than the temp on the gauge, then
you will be getting liquid refrigerant back to the compressor.
This will have the equivilent effect on the compressor as putting a garden
hose down your carb and turning on the water.
the units are made to pump vapor and not liquid. BAD things happen to
pistons and valves when liquid comes back, so make sure the temp is higher
than what is on the gauge.......

Old June 28th 05, 03:22 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

also, if the corresponding temperature on the pressure temp gauge is more
than 20 degrees F lower than the large line returning to the compressor, I'd
say your low on gas. The lower the superheat # the more efficient the system
is. As the temperature difference gets greater, that means less efficiency,
thus low on charge situation.........use the gauge and the temps, you won't
go wrong.........
let me know how it all turns out..

Old June 30th 05, 02:36 AM
tim bur

really !!! my 95 grand marquioes has a working never been touched ac system going on
ten years now

Old June 30th 05, 03:47 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Then someone has added to it. look at the O-ring connections and
you see the telltale signs of refrigerant oil.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 30th 05, 05:00 AM
Robb S via CarKB.com

hey doug, just a correction for you on the two lines going to the cab. only
one should be cold. The smaller one should be warm, and the larger one going
to the compressor should be cold. If they are both cold, then there is a
serious problem. The system would be under charged as the refrigerant would
be flashing through the liquid line going into the cab making that line cold.
It should have a solid column of liquid refrigerant, and thus be warm. It
doesn't get cold until it reaches the metering device, and the refrigerant
flashes to vapor. Now, the smaller line should be cooler than the line
coming out of the compressor (discharge) line, but it should not be cool or
cold.

Old July 2nd 05, 12:09 AM
tim bur

sorry to bust your bubble but nothing there clean and dry metal

Old July 2nd 05, 12:32 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

You don't mind if I don't believe you.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O