Allante: how to disable anti-theft?

Old May 18th 05, 05:37 PM
sdlomi2

Default Allante: how to disable anti-theft?

On a 1988 Allante, it has twice in 6 months disabled itself from
starting--both times the 'security' light was flashing when switched on.
Starter would not attempt to engage.
Anyone know how to bypass this system? And, if a relay needs
unplugging, where do I find its location?
Thanks in advance, s

Old May 18th 05, 06:31 PM
Shep

Does this car have the chip in the key system, or vats as it was called
news

Old May 23rd 05, 05:54 PM

My Reatta has done the same thing. It has been a PITA.
In my case, the key resistor reader, and other things, can trigger this.
If you find out how to remove the system, I would like to hear your
solution.

I am going to de Teve mine as well, if I keep it that long.

Old May 24th 05, 05:06 AM
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

sdlomi2 wrote:

> On a 1988 Allante, it has twice in 6 months disabled itself from
> starting--both times the 'security' light was flashing when switched on.
> Starter would not attempt to engage.
> Anyone know how to bypass this system? And, if a relay needs
> unplugging, where do I find its location?
> Thanks in advance, s

Didn't you just post a quiestion about audio system security codes a few
days ago?

What are you doing, parting out stolen cars? ;-)

--
Paul Hovnanian
How do I set a laser printer to stun?
Old May 25th 05, 01:45 AM
sdlomi2

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." > wrote in message
> sdlomi2 wrote:
> >
> > On a 1988 Allante, it has twice in 6 months disabled itself from
> > starting--both times the 'security' light was flashing when switched on.
> > Starter would not attempt to engage.
> > Anyone know how to bypass this system? And, if a relay needs
> > unplugging, where do I find its location?
> > Thanks in advance, s

> Didn't you just post a quiestion about audio system security codes a few
> days ago?
>
> What are you doing, parting out stolen cars? ;-)
>
> --
> Paul Hovnanian

Paul, a mind might just be tempted to wander in your direction given
these circumstances; however, I assure you that's not the case here. First
of all, were I to buy such a car, it'd be a Reatta with the old faithful
3800 engine--not my friend's Caddy with its infamous 4100!
Second scenario, my '03 Sonoma has an unusual "din & a half" radio size;
and very few GM-mp3's on Ebay come from such pickups, altho' several from
the Grand Ams and Cavaliers look so similar & seem to fit & harness up
fine--but no good if the theft code is set!
I must say that you have a good memory, though--an attribute to be
envied. Please note that a "seeming crook" on this ng reminded you to keep
that sharp memory dedicated to productive & profitable uses......NO
derogatory implications intended at all!
I'm impressed that you remembered. Sam

Old May 25th 05, 02:02 AM
sdlomi2

> wrote in message
.. .
> My Reatta has done the same thing. It has been a PITA.
> In my case, the key resistor reader, and other things, can trigger this.
> If you find out how to remove the system, I would like to hear your
> solution.

Hey, HLS, I found a solution for a Reatta while Google-searching for
Allante--something about finding 2 wires under the dash and splicing a
resistor--about 40 cents--between them. IIRC, the resistance duplicates
that of the res. in the key-chip.
If I saved it somewhere, I'll post it; but I'm afraid I just 'let it
slide' since it didn't fit my application. s

Old May 25th 05, 11:32 AM

"sdlomi2" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> .. .
> > My Reatta has done the same thing. It has been a PITA.
> > In my case, the key resistor reader, and other things, can trigger this.
> > If you find out how to remove the system, I would like to hear your
> > solution.

> Hey, HLS, I found a solution for a Reatta while Google-searching for
> Allante--something about finding 2 wires under the dash and splicing a
> resistor--about 40 cents--between them. IIRC, the resistance duplicates
> that of the res. in the key-chip.
> If I saved it somewhere, I'll post it; but I'm afraid I just 'let it
> slide' since it didn't fit my application. s

Thanks, SD. That fix is correct. You bypass the resistor in the key with a
precision resistor
of the same value. The key reader then always sees the hardwired correct
value. Every one
I know who owns a Reatta basically loves many things about the car, but
cringes about the
complexity and unreliability of the electrics.

The Teves braking system is another issue. If you dont keep the brake fluid
changed and let that
master cylinder degrade, it costs the better part of a grand for a rebuilt,
or about $2800 (at last
check) for a new one.