Am I crazy?

Old January 9th 05, 01:18 PM

Default Am I crazy?

My criticism of automobiles is that the hoods are too big. The big
hoods cut down on visibility (to say nothing about maneuvering in
traffic and parking in tight spots). It is difficult to see cars on the
driver's right side. City buses and the old fashioned milk trucks did
not appear to have hoods. I think the engines in these vehicles were
put underneath the vehicle. In these vehicles the driver had a very
good view of the road ahead and a good view to the driver's right. Does
anyone agree with me that engines should be put underneath the vehicle?
Or am I crazy?

Old January 9th 05, 02:17 PM
Al Bundy

I can't speak to your mental health. However, if you ever had to work
on something buried under the vehicle or under a real short hood, you
would have to be goofy to suggest the engine be placed there. And even
if you are just a driver/owner you should know that repairs on those
hard to access components will cost more, enough more to drive you
crazy.

Old January 9th 05, 02:55 PM
HLS

You're not too far offbase. Some cars have visibility problems because of
the hood size and shape, window configurations, driver seating, etc.

Some of it is a concession to 'styling'.

The engine doesn't have to be under the driver for the car to offer good
visibility.

Old January 9th 05, 03:19 PM
Burt Squareman

> wrote in message ups.com...
> My criticism of automobiles is that the hoods are too big. The big
> hoods cut down on visibility (to say nothing about maneuvering in
> traffic and parking in tight spots). It is difficult to see cars on the
> driver's right side. City buses and the old fashioned milk trucks did
> not appear to have hoods. I think the engines in these vehicles were
> put underneath the vehicle. In these vehicles the driver had a very
> good view of the road ahead and a good view to the driver's right. Does
> anyone agree with me that engines should be put underneath the
>vehicle? Or am I crazy?

Practically, the frame on the engine bay absorbs or distance us from a
head-on collusion. Also, a front mount engine serves to maintain stability
and aerodynamics. In my Civic 4WD, like this van (link below,) you'll
hardly tell there's a hood. On the other hand, my buddy's VW van flips
when hauling half-a-ton of watermelons.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl...05sprinter.htm