'99 Explorer Fuel pressure problem

Old November 30th 04, 03:22 AM
Tim South

Default '99 Explorer Fuel pressure problem

I've been doing some troubleshooting on my Explorer recently. It suffers
from the hard to start problem as many others do. Sure enough, I found that
the fuel rail pressure bleeds to zero almost instantaneously after it's shut
off. The other interesting thing is that the fuel pressure reads 64PSI at
all times when running, with or without the vacuum line to the FPR hooked
up.

So, it sounds like my FPR is stuck closed (causing the pressure to go to
64PSI) AND the fuel pump is faulty allowing the pressure to bleed back into
the tank through the supply line. Has anyone ran into this problem and it
only be the FPR? It seems unlikely. It doesn't seem possible that the
fault lies solely in the fuel pump.

My next step is to:
1. Double check the fuel pressure with another gauge.
2. Double check the idle fuel pressure spec. The Haynes could be wrong.
3. Replace the FPR and see what happens.
4. Replace the fuel pump if (3) doesn't fix it.
5. If that doesn't work, give up.

On a side note, the truck never really runs poorly from a drivability
standpoint, just hard to start, and intermittently down on power. Hopefully
there isn't some other issue.

Any help is appreciated.

Old December 20th 04, 06:04 PM
gmark

Hello: I'm working on the same vehicle with the same problem and have
replaced the fuel pump already. However that did not fix the problem. Fuel
pressure still bleeds down causing hard start. While I was replacing the
pump I noticed a valve looking thing directly above the fuel pump in the
line. Looks like a return valve or something it has a hose that comes off
of it back into the tank. Did you replace that also? and do you think that
could be my problem? Nothing else is tied into the fuel line except that
and the injectors. I suppose I could have an injector leaking down. Please
let me know if you replaced that valve, what it may be or if you have any
other thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

Fuel supply problem Major Tom Corvette 0 January 4th 05 04:31 AM
'02 Explorer Fuel Gauge Problem James Drouin Ford Explorer 1 December 13th 04 02:30 AM
76 Difficult Cold Starts daveo76 Corvette 22 September 9th 04 12:54 AM