'92 Voyager Windshield Wiper

Old March 14th 05, 12:06 AM
hachiroku

Default '92 Voyager Windshield Wiper

Reposted from al.dodge...

Another engineer I'd like to punch in the nose, but that's for another
thread:

1992 Plym Grand Voyager: this morning in a raging snowstorm the pass
side windshied wiper stopped working. It appeared as though (from the
sound) the linkage came undone. I removed the cowling, etc and found
that was just what happened. The assembly is the wiper, a thing that
looks like a knob with a shaft on it, and the end of the shaft is
knurled. There was also a spring washer resting under the whole mess in
the cowling.

I pressed it all back together using two blocks of wood. The way it
went together I didn't think it was ever coming apart again. It lasted
all of 27 minutes.

What is supposed to attach to the bottom of the splined shaft? is there
a screw or clip I'm missing, or is it perhaps just worn to the point
where it doesn't hold anymore?

TIA
Old March 14th 05, 10:28 AM
maxpower

"hachiroku" > wrote in message
> Reposted from al.dodge...
>
> Another engineer I'd like to punch in the nose, but that's for another
> thread:
>
> 1992 Plym Grand Voyager: this morning in a raging snowstorm the pass
> side windshied wiper stopped working. It appeared as though (from the
> sound) the linkage came undone. I removed the cowling, etc and found
> that was just what happened. The assembly is the wiper, a thing that
> looks like a knob with a shaft on it, and the end of the shaft is
> knurled. There was also a spring washer resting under the whole mess in
> the cowling.
>
> I pressed it all back together using two blocks of wood. The way it
> went together I didn't think it was ever coming apart again. It lasted
> all of 27 minutes.
>
> What is supposed to attach to the bottom of the splined shaft? is there
> a screw or clip I'm missing, or is it perhaps just worn to the point
> where it doesn't hold anymore?
>
> TIA

Actually that wiper system is a good design, but if the pivot comes apart
you have to replace the complete pivot, turning the wipers on while they are
frozen to the windshield usually causes that to happen

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old March 14th 05, 07:10 PM
hachiroku

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 04:28:05 -0500, maxpower wrote:

> "hachiroku" > wrote in message
>> Reposted from al.dodge...
>>
>> Another engineer I'd like to punch in the nose, but that's for another
>> thread:
>>
>> 1992 Plym Grand Voyager: this morning in a raging snowstorm the pass
>> side windshied wiper stopped working. It appeared as though (from the
>> sound) the linkage came undone. I removed the cowling, etc and found
>> that was just what happened. The assembly is the wiper, a thing that
>> looks like a knob with a shaft on it, and the end of the shaft is
>> knurled. There was also a spring washer resting under the whole mess in
>> the cowling.
>>
>> I pressed it all back together using two blocks of wood. The way it
>> went together I didn't think it was ever coming apart again. It lasted
>> all of 27 minutes.
>>
>> What is supposed to attach to the bottom of the splined shaft? is there
>> a screw or clip I'm missing, or is it perhaps just worn to the point
>> where it doesn't hold anymore?
>>
>> TIA

> Actually that wiper system is a good design, but if the pivot comes apart
> you have to replace the complete pivot, turning the wipers on while they are
> frozen to the windshield usually causes that to happen
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech

Hmmmm....the arm and the pivot part are OK, it has just disconnected from
the, um...cam? Lobe? Whatever that round part that looks like a radio knob
with a long shaft. The piece attached to the arm is still there; what I
need is either a method to install a new knob thingy (oh yeah, I
technical!) or get the old one to stay attached. I was thinking of
slotting it, getting another spring washer or something similar and
putting a circlip to hold the mess together. What is the original
attachment method?

CJ7 Windshield Wiper Problem Jay Stuler Jeep 14 March 21st 05 04:25 AM
squeaking windshield wiper - too much arm tension? Howard Lester Honda 11 February 20th 05 03:09 PM
Windshield Wiper System Fix Michael White Jeep 2 January 17th 05 03:11 PM
Windshield wiper not working Ulf BMW 4 December 21st 04 01:50 PM
Windshield wiper not working Ulf Technology 5 December 21st 04 01:50 PM