Remote Start Install

Old November 22nd 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default Remote Start Install

I am looking to install a Black Widow BW-Z5 system (security and remote
start) into a 2000 Accord coupe, 5-speed manual. The manual part makes
the install a bit harder, anyone know where I can get electrical
diagrams or a good installer in the Atlanta area?

Old November 22nd 06, 12:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am looking to install a Black Widow BW-Z5 system (security and remote
> start) into a 2000 Accord coupe, 5-speed manual. The manual part makes
> the install a bit harder, anyone know where I can get electrical
> diagrams or a good installer in the Atlanta area?

Is that unit compatible with a manual transmission? You need one that is.
AstroStart has models specifically for stick shift. There are extra safety
considerations in involved such as circuitry to check to make sure the
parking brake is on and the tranny is in neutral before the system overrides
the clutch safety switch and cranks the motor over.

Old November 23rd 06, 08:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 07:26:08 -0500, Seth wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>I am looking to install a Black Widow BW-Z5 system (security and remote
>> start) into a 2000 Accord coupe, 5-speed manual. The manual part makes
>> the install a bit harder, anyone know where I can get electrical
>> diagrams or a good installer in the Atlanta area?

> Is that unit compatible with a manual transmission? You need one that is.
> AstroStart has models specifically for stick shift. There are extra safety
> considerations in involved such as circuitry to check to make sure the
> parking brake is on and the tranny is in neutral before the system overrides
> the clutch safety switch and cranks the motor over.

That is VERY cool. Now, if I could only find somewhere to buy them. I
can't seem to find any retailers... Anyone have any links?
Old November 23rd 06, 01:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Joe LaVigne" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 07:26:08 -0500, Seth wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>>I am looking to install a Black Widow BW-Z5 system (security and remote
>>> start) into a 2000 Accord coupe, 5-speed manual. The manual part makes
>>> the install a bit harder, anyone know where I can get electrical
>>> diagrams or a good installer in the Atlanta area?

>> Is that unit compatible with a manual transmission? You need one that
>> is.
>> AstroStart has models specifically for stick shift. There are extra
>> safety
>> considerations in involved such as circuitry to check to make sure the
>> parking brake is on and the tranny is in neutral before the system
>> overrides
>> the clutch safety switch and cranks the motor over.

> That is VERY cool. Now, if I could only find somewhere to buy them. I
> can't seem to find any retailers... Anyone have any links?

Their website is www.astroflex.com. Google for dealers who A) carry the
product line and B) have the manual transmission interface...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...rostart+manual

I actually installed the first one in the US many years ago when they first
came here with their product line. It was a real PITA the first few times.
Back then, the manual tranny interface consisted of 2 optical emitters
mounted to the shifter and 2 receivers mounted on the base (all inside the
shifter boot). If one or the other set weren't lined up, it meant the
vehicle wasn't in neutral and it wouldn't start.

Old November 24th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 08:30:11 -0500, Seth wrote:

>>> oups.com...
>>>
>>> Is that unit compatible with a manual transmission? You need one that
>>> is.
>>> AstroStart has models specifically for stick shift. There are extra
>>> safety
>>> considerations in involved such as circuitry to check to make sure the
>>> parking brake is on and the tranny is in neutral before the system
>>> overrides
>>> the clutch safety switch and cranks the motor over.

>> That is VERY cool. Now, if I could only find somewhere to buy them. I
>> can't seem to find any retailers... Anyone have any links?

> Their website is www.astroflex.com. Google for dealers who A) carry the
> product line and B) have the manual transmission interface...
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...rostart+manual
>
> I actually installed the first one in the US many years ago when they first
> came here with their product line. It was a real PITA the first few times.
> Back then, the manual tranny interface consisted of 2 optical emitters
> mounted to the shifter and 2 receivers mounted on the base (all inside the
> shifter boot). If one or the other set weren't lined up, it meant the
> vehicle wasn't in neutral and it wouldn't start.

Thanks. Probably won't be looking into it too aggressively until after
Christmas, but this sounds like just what I have been looking for. The
car sure gets cold in Buffalo in Winter... ;-)

Joe
Old November 27th 06, 03:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
ponchonutty[_5_]

I had one of those Blackwidow pieces before. I used it as a
paperweight. The thing sucks!!! Look into www.compustar.com and yes
they have one for a manual car. DON'T INSTALL A REGULAR REMOTE START
THAT HAS NO SAFETY FEATURES FOR MANUAL CARS.

--
ponchonutty
ponchonutty's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...p?userid=94610

http://www.automotiveforums.com