Replace or clean EGR?

Old November 21st 06, 03:45 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Doug B

Default Replace or clean EGR?

Seth wrote:
> "High Tech Misfit" > wrote in message
>> bbtaco wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.98exl.com/tsb/CG/99-085%2...Cl ogging.pdf

>> This won't do the OP any good. The extended warranty is good for only
>> 80,000 miles, but this Accord has 170,000 miles on it.

> But the detailed instructions on what they do are there, so it's a good
> start.

Is the procedure essentially the same for a '98 Odyssey EX?

Old November 21st 06, 09:14 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Woody[_1_]

All that is great but the problem is a common and well documented problem on
that engine. Honda drilled the port out and installed a coated sleeve to
correct the problem. The only way to fix it is to remove the manifold and
clean out the port. He could probably get the kit with sleeve from a dealer
and have a dealer or mechanic install it if he does not have the ability to
do it....

Old November 22nd 06, 12:19 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Greg Campbell

Woody wrote:

> All that is great but the problem is a common and well documented problem on
> that engine.

Excuse me...
Old November 28th 06, 03:49 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Doug Miller

bbtaco wrote:

> From: "bbtaco" >
> Newsgroups: alt.autos.honda,alt.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
> Subject: Replace or clean EGR?
> Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 23:14:26 -0500

> "Seth" > wrote in message
>> 2001 EX-V6 Accord with 170,000 miles. Just got a P0401 code. The check
>> engine light went out on it's own (TCS light was also on when this
>> occurred) then lit up again a week later.
>>
>> Trying to find information on the procedure for cleaning the EGR. Not
>> much out there. Found 1 article stating special tools are required.

http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/How_do_you_...d_2000_V6_2_Dr

>> Anybody attempt this with the standard tools one might find in a typical
>> home garage? Trying to determine if I should attempt this myself or just
>> buy a new EGR. They're expensive ($200 plus) but maybe not depending on
>> how much effort it takes to clean and drill it out and what the special
>> reamer costs, especially if I'm only going to use it one.
>>
>> Any insight from those experienced in this would be appreciated.
>>

> http://www.98exl.com/tsb/CG/99-085%2...Cl ogging.pdf

Thank you so much!