How Dangerous Air Condition's Refrigerant is ?

Old October 7th 06, 06:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Red Cloud

Default How Dangerous Air Condition's Refrigerant is ?

The Honda Manual warns not to touch air condition's refrigerant part
unless done by the dealer
or the air condition technican. I'm trying to take out all the air
condition parts. I've no idea how
dangerous refrigerant stuff is. Is refrigerant such a dangerous
chemical? Is refrigerant must
be depose by the professional waste handler? Do I must see the air
conditional technican or
dealer to handle this job? I would like to do it by myself if it is ok
to depose refrigerant in the
public.

Old October 7th 06, 08:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Red Cloud wrote:
> The Honda Manual warns not to touch air condition's refrigerant part
> unless done by the dealer
> or the air condition technican. I'm trying to take out all the air
> condition parts. I've no idea how
> dangerous refrigerant stuff is. Is refrigerant such a dangerous
> chemical? Is refrigerant must
> be depose by the professional waste handler? Do I must see the air
> conditional technican or
> dealer to handle this job? I would like to do it by myself if it is ok
> to depose refrigerant in the
> public.

You must have a EPA license to recover or handle freon. But I don't
think you need it for 134a if I remember right. But even still, it's
best
to recover any refrigerant into the proper container for disposal.
As far as R-12, you can be fined up to $25,000 for handling it without
an EPA ticket. "If caught" You are supposed to have a ticket to even
put gauges on a freon 12 system. There are various EPA tickets for
this.
There is one in particular for automotive use, and to buy small cans of
freon.
You can get it with a mail in test. It's super easy. Open book. A
monkey could pass.. :/
I've got universal myself. "Type 1,2, 3". Low pressure, high pressure
and very high pressure, small appliance, and the section 609
automotive.
The only one you need is the section 609 automotive.
MK

Old October 10th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Kevin McMurtrie

In article . com>,
"Red Cloud" > wrote:

> The Honda Manual warns not to touch air condition's refrigerant part
> unless done by the dealer
> or the air condition technican. I'm trying to take out all the air
> condition parts. I've no idea how
> dangerous refrigerant stuff is. Is refrigerant such a dangerous
> chemical? Is refrigerant must
> be depose by the professional waste handler? Do I must see the air
> conditional technican or
> dealer to handle this job? I would like to do it by myself if it is ok
> to depose refrigerant in the
> public.

It is environmentally toxic (especially the R-12) and it is a freezing
and explosion hazard. If you pushed the valve tip in with your finger,
you could find yourself picking a frozen fingernail out of your forehead
with your other hand. The liquid expands to a great volume when
decompressed so there's more force released than you'd expect.

Go to an air conditioning shop and have them suck the coolant out. A
shop might even pay you money if they can have your AC system.
Old October 10th 06, 11:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
KWW[_1_]

The R134B is EXTREMELY environmentally bad and quite toxic. It was really a
sick joke, in my opinion. In order to satisfy the environmental complaints
about Freon they replaced it with something worse, but at least it stayed
close to the ground where it would hurt people and animals rather than
possibly hurting the ozone layer.

It is sort of like that gasoline additive they used in lieu of lead. Turns
out it is very unhealthy. Whenever I see a new technology to reduce
pollutant "x" I always look to see what pollutants that NEW technology
produces - funny thing is, they tend to downplay it saying "there isn't much
of that pollutant so it is not a problem." What they forget is that, if
every consumer item (car for instance) uses that new technology instead of
the old one, sure we reduce the pollutants indicative of the old technology,
but we then will have to deal with an overabundance of the pollutants from
the new one.

I can't wait for the "new" R-12 (low chlorine) to come out so that we can
get back to using a low corrosive, less toxic coolant!

--
KWW

Old November 26th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Yes, he's right, you do need to obtain an EPA license and it is fairly
easy to do. You can take some of the certification tests online. I
suggest going to EPAtest.com and searching around. You can download the
free manual for the section 609 certification and take the open book
test online.