Chassis Electrical problems. I think I got in over my head

Old January 29th 05, 08:42 PM
Shane

Default Chassis Electrical problems. I think I got in over my head

I bought a 93 Dodge Shadow from a private owner for a good price. I
have went over it getting it ready for inspection.

I have a few electric problems that can seem to figure out. The backup
lights, and horn will not work. The interior light works imtermittently
(sp?). There is power to the fuse box on each circuit. No blown fuses.
According to the manual all 3 items are on different circuits.

Replacing the fog ligt revealed what I think was dried mud inside the
lense. THe rear lenses had water in them, and the hatchback seem real
heavy (so the air springs won't hold it up). I am starting to think
this car was in a flood, or something weird.

I am only a weekend warrior on cars and don't know much about
troubleshooting chasis electric problems. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Shane

Old January 29th 05, 08:58 PM
HarryS

Check up under the dash for water signs and pull the back seat cushion if
you see signs of water dirt, silt or stains it was under water.

HarryS

ups.com...

Old January 29th 05, 09:31 PM
Shane

No water signs other than what was already indicated.

Old January 30th 05, 06:20 PM
Karla

Shane wrote:

> I bought a 93 Dodge Shadow from a private owner for a good price. I
> have went over it getting it ready for inspection.
>
> I have a few electric problems that can seem to figure out. The backup
> lights, and horn will not work. The interior light works imtermittently
> (sp?). There is power to the fuse box on each circuit. No blown fuses.
> According to the manual all 3 items are on different circuits.
>
> Replacing the fog ligt revealed what I think was dried mud inside the
> lense. THe rear lenses had water in them, and the hatchback seem real
> heavy (so the air springs won't hold it up). I am starting to think
> this car was in a flood, or something weird.
>
> I am only a weekend warrior on cars and don't know much about
> troubleshooting chasis electric problems. Any ideas?

It sounds like you have a bunch of problems in seemingly unrelated
systems/circuits. But they all do have one thing in common: ground.
Check for grounding problems at the battery and elsewhere.

Old January 30th 05, 10:02 PM

It's "in=B7ter=B7mit=B7tent=B7ly". But, at least you care!! Good luck on
the Shadow problem.

Old February 1st 05, 01:53 AM

In my 89 Dodge Grand Caravan, the backup lights would not work. I
traced the problem to a defective "Neutral Safety Switch" in the
automatic transmission.
eldred30

Old February 1st 05, 02:29 PM
TNKEV

"Shane" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I bought a 93 Dodge Shadow from a private owner for a good price. I
> have went over it getting it ready for inspection.
>
> I have a few electric problems that can seem to figure out. The backup
> lights, and horn will not work. The interior light works imtermittently
> (sp?). There is power to the fuse box on each circuit. No blown fuses.
> According to the manual all 3 items are on different circuits.
>
> Replacing the fog ligt revealed what I think was dried mud inside the
> lense. THe rear lenses had water in them, and the hatchback seem real
> heavy (so the air springs won't hold it up). I am starting to think
> this car was in a flood, or something weird.
>
> I am only a weekend warrior on cars and don't know much about
> troubleshooting chasis electric problems. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks!
> Shane

I have a '93 dakota and the back up lights and the ac cycle switch were on
the same fuse, replaced the fuse and viola!I have ac and back up lights, I
would check all your fuses again and relays.

Old February 5th 05, 02:35 AM
Shane

I got it fixed. It was a shorted wire on the floorboard for the
interior lights. For some reason it fixed the backup lights.