89 Camry - hadheater core replaced and two days later battery died...any connection?

Old January 26th 05, 02:29 AM
mino

Default 89 Camry - hadheater core replaced and two days later battery died...any connection?

So I was having the infamous "window fogs up" problem with my 89 Toyota
Camry. As expected coolant was leaking into the heater and I had to
have the heater core replaced. About 2 days after getting my car back
from the mechanic, the battery died. I was driving and the light
flickered once, then 2 minutes later it flickered again, and two
minutes later the call killed. There was no response when I turned the
key...and no click. I had to have the car jumped and then drove home
without stopping.

So my question is whether replacing the heater core could have lead to
this problem. Are there any wires or connections that could have lead
to draining the battery? I asked the mechanic but he says there is no
relationship between the two.

Thanks for any help.

Mark

Old January 26th 05, 03:40 AM
No body

Hey Mark,

I tend to agree with the wrench. All that a heater core is, is a radiator
inside your car where air blows through it to heat up the cab.

Unless there is a sensor in there I don't see how it could have caused the
problem.

How old is the battery?

Disconnect the terminals and charge up the battery and see if it cranks. If
it wont hold a charge, you're looking for a new one.

BTW if it's stick you don't need a battery. Just park it uphill every time

oups.com...

Old January 26th 05, 03:50 AM
Bob

"No body" > wrote in message
> Hey Mark,
>
> I tend to agree with the wrench. All that a heater core is, is a radiator
> inside your car where air blows through it to heat up the cab.
>
> Unless there is a sensor in there I don't see how it could have caused the
> problem.
>
> How old is the battery?
>
> Disconnect the terminals and charge up the battery and see if it cranks.
> If
> it wont hold a charge, you're looking for a new one.
>
> BTW if it's stick you don't need a battery. Just park it uphill every time

Uhh sure, take out your battery and see how good that plan works.
Bob

Old January 26th 05, 04:38 AM
mino

Well that's good to hear. Just seemed like too much of a coincidence. I
know that the heater core is mostly mechanical, but I also know they
need to take out part of the dashboard (center console) to replace it
which would involve minor electrical work.

The battery is about 3 years old. I'm going to have the mechanic
charge it up and see how it goes.

As for the hill idea...that'd be great except that I live in flat
snowed coated Chicago.

Thanks for the help.

Old January 26th 05, 04:40 AM
mino

What was that bob? Not sure I caught it.

Thanks.

Old January 26th 05, 08:06 AM
Billy Bad Assr©

> So I was having the infamous "window fogs up" problem with my 89 Toyota
> Camry. As expected coolant was leaking into the heater and I had to
> have the heater core replaced. About 2 days after getting my car back
> from the mechanic, the battery died. I was driving and the light
> flickered once, then 2 minutes later it flickered again, and two
> minutes later the call killed. There was no response when I turned the
> key...and no click. I had to have the car jumped and then drove home
> without stopping.
>
> So my question is whether replacing the heater core could have lead to
> this problem. Are there any wires or connections that could have lead
> to draining the battery? I asked the mechanic but he says there is no
> relationship between the two.

Perhaps THE >Auto Technician< that replaced the heater core. That *tech* had to
disconnect the power BEFORE replacing the core!!!!

BBA

Old January 26th 05, 02:42 PM

I see no correlation, other than really cold weather making both
problems worse.