94 Accord ignition switch

Old November 23rd 06, 03:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Frank Boettcher

Default 94 Accord ignition switch

94 accord (MT) is intermittantly not engaging the starter when the
key is turned to the start position. Pushing in on the key a little
will cause it to make contact. Is OK when returning to the on
position after starting, engine continues to run.

Can I assume that it is the lock cylinder and if it has to be
replaced, should the switch be replaced at the same time even if it
checks appropriately continuous?

Is it necessary to remove the steering wheel to replace the lock
cylinder?

Thanks

Frank
Old November 23rd 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

=======================================

Old November 23rd 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Frank Boettcher > wrote in
:

> 94 accord (MT) is intermittantly not engaging the starter when the
> key is turned to the start position. Pushing in on the key a little
> will cause it to make contact. Is OK when returning to the on
> position after starting, engine continues to run.
>
> Can I assume that it is the lock cylinder and if it has to be
> replaced, should the switch be replaced at the same time even if it
> checks appropriately continuous?
>
> Is it necessary to remove the steering wheel to replace the lock
> cylinder?

*First* try a new key. Take your valet key to a hardware store and have
them cut a new key from a normal-thickness blank. The valet key is
identical to the regular key except thicker.

Make sure you're pushing the clutch pedal ALL the way to the floor while
turning the key to III.

If that doesn't work, it may be the ignition switch. You don't have to
remove the steering wheel. Playing with column tilt positions will
enable you to wiggle the covers off with the wheel in place.

More he
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/start...ignitionswitch

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFORE SERVICING THE IGNITION SWITCH.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old November 24th 06, 01:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
chicago

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> Frank Boettcher > wrote in
> :
>

>> 94 accord (MT) is intermittantly not engaging the starter when the
>> key is turned to the start position. Pushing in on the key a little
>> will cause it to make contact. Is OK when returning to the on
>> position after starting, engine continues to run.
>>
>> Can I assume that it is the lock cylinder and if it has to be
>> replaced, should the switch be replaced at the same time even if it
>> checks appropriately continuous?
>>
>> Is it necessary to remove the steering wheel to replace the lock
>> cylinder?

> *First* try a new key. Take your valet key to a hardware store and have
> them cut a new key from a normal-thickness blank. The valet key is
> identical to the regular key except thicker.

Really good advice, some asshole once wanted to charge me over $500 while in
fact all I needed was a new key, the key of my 91 was worn out. Could be a
$10 problem

Old November 26th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Frank Boettcher wrote:
> 94 accord (MT) is intermittantly not engaging the starter when the
> key is turned to the start position. Pushing in on the key a little
> will cause it to make contact. Is OK when returning to the on
> position after starting, engine continues to run.

replace the switch assembly behind the key barrel.

> Can I assume that it is the lock cylinder and if it has to be
> replaced, should the switch be replaced at the same time even if it
> checks appropriately continuous?
>
> Is it necessary to remove the steering wheel to replace the lock
> cylinder?

don't replace the cylinder, just the switch.