97 Jeep Cherokee, air conditioning compressor cycling on/off and weak cooling

Old July 18th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

Default 97 Jeep Cherokee, air conditioning compressor cycling on/off and weak cooling

I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee with factory air and about a year ago I
noticed that the air was getting wimpy to the point where it just
wasn't cooling anymore. This year I went to the local auto parts place
and picked up a R-134 kit to recharge my system (figuring it was low
and had a small leak). I hooked up the gauge that comes with the kit
and read the value off the low pressure side of the airconditioning
system and (from what the kit instructions say) the gauge read about 45
psi (which is supposedly good for most low pressure side readings -
they say that's normal). No matter, the compressor regularly turns
on/off - about 10 seconds on and about 10 seconds on - - - all the
time. I just about put in some R-134 and then figured I better get on
the news groups to see if this is normal or not with this rig. The air
is just lukewarm - not quite cold, not quite warm either on an
especially hot day today.

What do you guys think? The system low pressure reads right (doesn't
surpass 45 psi and just sits there) but it's not getting cold either.
What's the correct pressure reading for this system and what do you
suspect is wrong? The vent system is correct (I checked that). Thanks
in advance for helping out, guys.

Old July 18th 06, 07:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
aarcuda69062

In article
.com>,
wrote:

> I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee with factory air and about a year ago I
> noticed that the air was getting wimpy to the point where it just
> wasn't cooling anymore. This year I went to the local auto parts place
> and picked up a R-134 kit to recharge my system (figuring it was low
> and had a small leak). I hooked up the gauge that comes with the kit
> and read the value off the low pressure side of the airconditioning
> system and (from what the kit instructions say) the gauge read about 45
> psi (which is supposedly good for most low pressure side readings -
> they say that's normal). No matter, the compressor regularly turns
> on/off - about 10 seconds on and about 10 seconds on - - - all the
> time. I just about put in some R-134 and then figured I better get on
> the news groups to see if this is normal or not with this rig. The air
> is just lukewarm - not quite cold, not quite warm either on an
> especially hot day today.
>
> What do you guys think? The system low pressure reads right (doesn't
> surpass 45 psi and just sits there) but it's not getting cold either.
> What's the correct pressure reading for this system and what do you
> suspect is wrong? The vent system is correct (I checked that). Thanks
> in advance for helping out, guys.

The gauges in those kits are worse than useless.

What is the pressure with the engine off?
What is the ambient temperature when the above reading is taken?

What is the low side pressure with the engine running at 2000 RPM
and the compressor engaged?

What is the high side pressure with the engine running at 2000
RPM and the compressor clutch engaged?

Is there any mention of "sealer" on the can(s) of refrigerant
that came in your suicide kit?

If the compressor is cycling on and off, pressure must be
changing in the system -somewhere-.

BTW, odds are that it is the evaporator leaking.
Figure $700+ to replace.