93 Honda Accord Clutch Issue

Old January 16th 10, 06:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Doctor

Default 93 Honda Accord Clutch Issue

After changing the master cyl on the clutch on my 93 Accord, the pedal
went all the way to the floor. Checked fluid, bled it again and drive
for about 1 mile or so. Same thing happens. Change the slave cly. same
thing. Is there something I'm missing here? The set-up is pretty
simple & straightforward. Any help was certainly be appreciated!
Doc
Old January 16th 10, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_2_]

On 1/16/2010 8:26 AM, The Doctor wrote:
> After changing the master cyl on the clutch on my 93 Accord, the pedal
> went all the way to the floor. Checked fluid, bled it again and drive
> for about 1 mile or so. Same thing happens. Change the slave cly. same
> thing. Is there something I'm missing here? The set-up is pretty
> simple& straightforward. Any help was certainly be appreciated!
> Doc

If you're not losing any fluid, the master cylinder is bad. Replace it
again or take the it apart and check the seals and cylinder walls.
Old January 16th 10, 10:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Tegger wrote:
> The Doctor > wrote in news:ddacfbf9-c7c6-4da4-9f97-
> :
>
>> After changing the master cyl on the clutch on my 93 Accord, the pedal
>> went all the way to the floor. Checked fluid, bled it again and drive
>> for about 1 mile or so. Same thing happens. Change the slave cly. same
>> thing. Is there something I'm missing here? The set-up is pretty
>> simple & straightforward. Any help was certainly be appreciated!
>> Doc

> Can you get the pedal to work temporarily if you first pump it rapidly
> several times in succession?
>
> If so, and if you're certain you got all the air out, then your "new"
> aftermarket master cylinder is defective.

How did you bleed it, and are there bleeder screws on both master and
slave? The clutch hydraulics on my 944 stumped both myself and the
mechanic down the street until a Porsche-wrenching friend showed me the
trick to bleed it.

In case you're wondering, the trick is as follows: with car on stands,
hook up pressure bleeder to reservoir and pump up. Attach hose to
bleeder (on this car, on slave only) and crack bleeder open, then
tighten loosely. Get in car, pump pedal rapidly 20x or so. As quickly
as possible, get under car, open bleeder, let run. Repeat 2-3x. That
worked. Apparently air gets trapped in one or the other of the
cylinders and the rapid pedal pumping with the bleeder closed works the
air into small bubbles in the fluid which can then be flushed out.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel