C4 windshield

Old May 8th 06, 03:26 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Default C4 windshield

Got a chip in my windshield. Of course directly in my line of sight.
(usually where the birds **** and bugs squash). Its a 1/4 inch bullseye.
Anyone here ever try that "as seen on TV" windshield saver?? Is this even
repairable??

Old May 8th 06, 03:50 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

"Mike" > wrote in message
t...
> Got a chip in my windshield. Of course directly in my line of sight.
> (usually where the birds **** and bugs squash). Its a 1/4 inch bullseye.
> Anyone here ever try that "as seen on TV" windshield saver?? Is this
> even repairable??

Don't know about yours, but I have had two such rock chips repaired. One on
my MH and the other on my Tacoma. The MH saved me a lot of $$$$, The Tacoma
a lot less but still a couple hundred, at least.

I liked the results and price AND the guy came out to my house!

The process used a suction cup (with small Vacuum pump) to evacuate the
cracked area, then through a 3-way valve he injected a solvent to clean out
the voids in the shield. After that he sucked it down again and injected the
clear epoxy (I think) filler.

Almost completely clear now, I can see some light refraction if I play with
light and angle, but it is really really minor.

I don't know about do it yourself kits, but I think that would be easily
doable if it had a way to do the suck part. I think that is important to get
the air out of the spaces in the crack so as to appear really clear when
finished. I would think the method you mentioned is more likely to be just
an injector. A method that has to trap air inside and keep the crack
noticeable.

Good luck..........

brian

Old May 8th 06, 06:39 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Old & in the way.... wrote:
> "Mike" > wrote in message
> t...
>> Got a chip in my windshield. Of course directly in my line of sight.
>> (usually where the birds **** and bugs squash). Its a 1/4 inch bullseye.
>> Anyone here ever try that "as seen on TV" windshield saver?? Is this
>> even repairable??

> Don't know about yours, but I have had two such rock chips repaired. One on
> my MH and the other on my Tacoma. The MH saved me a lot of $$$$, The Tacoma
> a lot less but still a couple hundred, at least.
>
> I liked the results and price AND the guy came out to my house!
>
> The process used a suction cup (with small Vacuum pump) to evacuate the
> cracked area, then through a 3-way valve he injected a solvent to clean out
> the voids in the shield. After that he sucked it down again and injected the
> clear epoxy (I think) filler.
>
> Almost completely clear now, I can see some light refraction if I play with
> light and angle, but it is really really minor.
>
> I don't know about do it yourself kits, but I think that would be easily
> doable if it had a way to do the suck part. I think that is important to get
> the air out of the spaces in the crack so as to appear really clear when
> finished. I would think the method you mentioned is more likely to be just
> an injector. A method that has to trap air inside and keep the crack
> noticeable.
>
> Good luck..........
>
> brian

Thanks brian. I had wondered why some of these fixes looked so good and
others were lame. Now I know what questions to ask. I'd done this once
and it looked like a plastic scab--definitely not transparent.

As a tip, my insurance company pays full freight for these fixes even
though I carry $ 500 deductible. Might be worth checking with your
Ins.Co. If the fix isn't acceptable then they pay for the windshield
replacement. My last windshield replacement ran $ 485 so no help on the
tab from the Ins. Co.

--
…PJ
’89 HookerCar, ’02 E-blu 6-spd Coupe
Old May 8th 06, 03:45 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

> As a tip, my insurance company pays full freight for these fixes even
> though I carry $ 500 deductible. Might be worth checking with your
> Ins.Co. If the fix isn't acceptable then they pay for the windshield
> replacement. My last windshield replacement ran $ 485 so no help on the
> tab from the Ins. Co.
>
> --
> …PJ

every state is different butt in FL insurance companies pay 100% for
windshields no deductible. You just call a windshield place they come out or
you take it there, hand em your ins name they put one in and give you a free
box of steaks

kickstart

Old May 8th 06, 08:46 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Kickstart wrote:
>> As a tip, my insurance company pays full freight for these fixes even
>> though I carry $ 500 deductible. Might be worth checking with your
>> Ins.Co. If the fix isn't acceptable then they pay for the windshield
>> replacement. My last windshield replacement ran $ 485 so no help on the
>> tab from the Ins. Co.
>>
>> --
>> …PJ

> every state is different butt in FL insurance companies pay 100% for
> windshields no deductible. You just call a windshield place they come out or
> you take it there, hand em your ins name they put one in and give you a free
> box of steaks
>

> kickstart

You just jogged the ancient part of my memory. That used to be a
requirement in California as well -- at least for the drivers half of
the windshield. Would be replaced if only mildly pitted--they were
concerned about damp nights or rain/mist etc.

never got steaks though.

--
PJ
'89 Hookercar '02 e-blu coupe
Old May 9th 06, 04:34 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette

Yep!! I get calls just about every other week from glass companies here
at the shop...
"Hi this is so and so glass company, anyone there have a chipped or
cracked windshield?"
With free Outback coupons, tote bags, free wash and wax, etc.

--
Ric Seyler
Online Racing: RicSeyler

http://www.pcola.gulf.net/~ricseyler
remove -SPAM- from email address
"Homer no function beer well without."
- H.J. Simpson

Windshield Crack tull Audi 7 January 27th 06 02:58 PM
Inferior windshield glass notbob Honda 27 December 25th 05 04:20 PM
Windshield Repair Elle Honda 10 October 7th 05 09:31 PM
2002 VUE Front windshield wash Vince Brophy Saturn 3 January 26th 05 08:11 PM
'94 SL2 Windshield... Scott MacIntyre Saturn 0 November 29th 04 07:29 PM