What tools do I need?

Old September 15th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Troy

Default What tools do I need?

I have recently put on an adjustable rear track bar on my 4" lifted TJ, and
had to take off my upper rear adjustable control arms to get some other
stuff adjusted. When they were off a friend who was watching/helping
screwed them all the way down so now I'm having to find the sweet spot all
over again for my pinion angle.

The problem is, I just can't seem to find it anymore. I eyeballed it last
time and there was a slight shake at 65mph, but now I just can't find where
they need to be. So I'm gonna get the angle tools to do it, but I'm not
sure which kind I need. An angle finder of some sort I'm sure, but if
anyone out there can tell me what to go buy so I can measure my angles and
get everything done perfectly I would be happy! I'm tired of crawling
under, adjusting, crawling up, opening the gate to the yard, test driving,
opening the gate again, crawling under, etc etc etc.

Troy

Old September 15th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Troy wrote:
> I have recently put on an adjustable rear track bar on my 4" lifted
> TJ, and had to take off my upper rear adjustable control arms to get
> some other stuff adjusted. When they were off a friend who was
> watching/helping screwed them all the way down so now I'm having to
> find the sweet spot all over again for my pinion angle.
>
> The problem is, I just can't seem to find it anymore. I eyeballed it
> last time and there was a slight shake at 65mph, but now I just can't
> find where they need to be. So I'm gonna get the angle tools to do
> it, but I'm not sure which kind I need. An angle finder of some sort
> I'm sure, but if anyone out there can tell me what to go buy so I can
> measure my angles and get everything done perfectly I would be happy!
> I'm tired of crawling under, adjusting, crawling up, opening the gate
> to the yard, test driving, opening the gate again, crawling under,
> etc etc etc.

Simple angle finder with a magnetic base and a tape measure.
http://www.vincihiperformance.com/vi...LE%20METER.jpg

The trick is to get both upper links exactly the same length and keep the proper
shaft angle while keeping the rear axle parallel to the front. You should be
able to get close enough by measuring the links from center bolt to center bolt.

--
DougW

Old September 15th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Matt Macchiarolo

Remember that if you have a CV rear driveshaft with a slipjoint, the pinion
should be at the same angle as the driveshaft. If you have the stock
slipyoke (not recommended with a 4" lift) the pinion should be parallel with
the output shaft.

And that friend now owes you a 12-pack.

Old September 15th 06, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Troy

Ok thats simple enough. I'll have to tackle it after the weekend, but I'll
let you know how it went.
Thanks!

Troy

Old September 15th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Troy

Yeah, I have the cv driveshaft with a slipjoint. Recently rebuilt from a
previous problem so I'm miffed about having vibes again. So the pinion
should be pretty much straight in line with the driveshaft eh? I'll go
eyeball it one more time for today.

I read somewhere on a website about having it 1 degree lowered for axle
wrap, but I'm sure I wont be able to judge a degree until I get the angle
finder huh... I wish I had more time today to mess with it but I gotta be
asleep by 7:30 to be up for work at 3am. ugh.

Ah and that "friend" heh heh, does owe me some beer now. He thinks he did
something major wrong to my baby, I haven't told him its a minor thing yet,
just letting him sweat it out for a day.

Troy

. ..

Old September 15th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Major pain anyway.... ;-)

Figure how soft the suspension is and how much a full tank of gas and/or
passengers lowers the suspension for your angle.

Mine really doesn't like to run empty and door ant topless, it will
vibrate on the highway. With a load like for camping or vacationing or
in the winter with the hardtop and hard doors on it runs really smooth.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old September 16th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Troy wrote:

> I read somewhere on a website about having it 1 degree lowered for
> axle wrap, but I'm sure I wont be able to judge a degree until I get
> the angle finder huh... I wish I had more time today to mess with it
> but I gotta be asleep by 7:30 to be up for work at 3am. ugh.

By the way, there is no axle wrap with link suspension, only with leaf
springs. That's why they make traction and ladder bars. If your getting
axle wrap with a link suspension then the bushings are toast.

Once the angle is set, the four links maintain that angle. (within reason)

Anyhoo..

You should start with a full tank of fuel and no cargo
on flat ground (concrete) not on grass/gravel/or dirt.

To measure the angle you place the angle finder on the output yolks
ear. i.e. side closest to the transmission case and side closest to the
diff. You measure one ear, rotate the shaft 180, measure the other ear,
and take the difference. Make sure the bearing cap is flat or you will
get an off reading.

The difference between front and rear should be no greater than 1.5 degrees.

As for +1 offset, I dunno. My ZJ is bone stock and it reads about .5
high at the rear on a full tank.

--
DougW

Old September 16th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

DougW wrote:
> Troy wrote:
>
>> I read somewhere on a website about having it 1 degree lowered for
>> axle wrap, but I'm sure I wont be able to judge a degree until I get
>> the angle finder huh... I wish I had more time today to mess with it
>> but I gotta be asleep by 7:30 to be up for work at 3am. ugh.

> By the way, there is no axle wrap with link suspension, only with leaf
> springs. That's why they make traction and ladder bars. If your
> getting axle wrap with a link suspension then the bushings are toast.
>
> Once the angle is set, the four links maintain that angle. (within
> reason)
> Anyhoo..
>
> You should start with a full tank of fuel and no cargo
> on flat ground (concrete) not on grass/gravel/or dirt.
>
> To measure the angle you place the angle finder on the output yolks
> ear. i.e. side closest to the transmission case and side closest to
> the diff. You measure one ear, rotate the shaft 180, measure the
> other ear, and take the difference. Make sure the bearing cap is
> flat or you will get an off reading.

Heh... I forgot..

This is hard to do without a frame/axle lift under the Jeep.
You probably could get away with using just one of the ears, but
taking an average of the two is more accurate.

I've done it by moving the ZJ by hand. (not recommended) The garage
door and tool box would keep the zj from running me over. Since it was
in 4wheel N. O_o Play it safe and have someone (you trust) help you.

Old September 16th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

Show the wife this list:

Laser angle finder (to help align it)
Hydraulic vehicle hoist (to safely suspend the Jeep)
Giant air compressor (to tighten those bolts)
Every socket and driver availible at sears (you just never know)
Sawzall, Skillsaw, 40ton shop press, lathe, drill press, band saw,
and a 220V Welder.

;-)

Actually, a magnetized angle finder will get the job done.

HTH,

Carl

Old September 16th 06, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Hi Doug,
Thanks for adding the disclaimer: (within Reason) because there's
no comparison with what we call a ladder bars:
http://www.mspmall.com/raceline/part2.jpg and your suspension used on
the boats of 1959: http://www.jims59.com/images/1029cRearDiffDone.jpg
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

MotorHead Tools MotorHead Corvette 0 April 12th 05 02:24 AM
MotorHead Tools MotorHead Dodge 0 April 12th 05 02:20 AM
degreasing old tools Brent P Technology 36 March 2nd 05 11:44 PM
What brand of tools favored by pros? Roger Sircar Chrysler 11 November 15th 04 04:50 PM
Audi Special tools ~ ElektraMan ~ Audi 4 November 3rd 04 10:33 PM