1971 Super Beetle Convertable

Old September 4th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Swanee

Default 1971 Super Beetle Convertable

First I am not a car person. I am a Carpenter so this is a little new
to me. I pull the Beetle out of a makeshift garage. It has been sitting
for about seven years. I changed the plugs, wires, ignition coil,
distributer cap, drained what little gas was in the tank out, and
stared her up. Now she runs but she is coughing and back firing. I
drove through one tank of gas thinking it might clear itself up. That
didn't happen. I changed the, carburetor, the fuel filter, and the
fuel pump, I think I have taken care of a lot of the problems, but it
is still back fires and coughs really badly.
Other things that happen are she has no power and loses speed when
you hit any hill, drastically. When trying to take off in first I have
to give it a lot of gas to get moving or it will sputter and stall.
Any hints would be appreciated greatly!!!
Thanks
Swanee

Old September 5th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Remco[_1_]

Michael Cecil wrote:
> On 4 Sep 2006 13:07:57 -0700, "Swanee" > wrote:
>
> >First I am not a car person. I am a Carpenter so this is a little new
> >to me. I pull the Beetle out of a makeshift garage. It has been sitting
> >for about seven years. I changed the plugs, wires, ignition coil,
> >distributer cap, drained what little gas was in the tank out, and
> >stared her up. Now she runs but she is coughing and back firing. I
> >drove through one tank of gas thinking it might clear itself up. That
> >didn't happen. I changed the, carburetor, the fuel filter, and the
> >fuel pump, I think I have taken care of a lot of the problems, but it
> >is still back fires and coughs really badly.
> > Other things that happen are she has no power and loses speed when
> >you hit any hill, drastically. When trying to take off in first I have
> >to give it a lot of gas to get moving or it will sputter and stall.
> >Any hints would be appreciated greatly!!!

> Did you change the points? Is it timed correctly? Is that the original
> 71 engine and how did you time it? Are you sure the plug wires are in the
> right order?
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
> http://home.comcast.net/~safehex/

Here are some good help pages:
http://www.superbeetles.com/Tech_talk/jan.htm

If you're new to cars and especially bugs, you may want to look into
getting the www.bugmevideo.com on regular maintenance. It shows you how
it is done.

Remco

Old September 6th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Funkie

Make sure the manifold boots are not cracked and letting air into the fuel
air mixture!(see picture below)
Make sure the manifolds themselves are not loose.

http://www.ramva.org/funkie/1973SB/dp_riser1.jpg
look at what the red arrow points to!

--
DANIEL MEDINA
ups.com...

Old September 6th 06, 02:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Joey Tribiani

"Funkie" > wrote in message
> Make sure the manifold boots are not cracked and letting air into the fuel
> air mixture!(see picture below)
> Make sure the manifolds themselves are not loose.
>
> http://www.ramva.org/funkie/1973SB/dp_riser1.jpg
> look at what the red arrow points to!

FUNKY COLD!!! good to see ya still here......hang around...

Old September 6th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Funkie

Thanks, I still support and maintain "ramva.org".

I sold my beetle a year ago and recently bought a Porsche 924 that I am now
working on. After having checked out the other car groups I can definitely
say this is the most knowledgeable group.

--
DANIEL MEDINA

Old September 7th 06, 03:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dragenwagen

And that is a good thing! I have had reliable web space for quite sometime
now!!! Thank you oh soooooooooo much!!!!

dw

. ..

Old September 7th 06, 10:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Swanee

I wanted to thank you all for your help. I have decided that it is most
likely a timing issue. Whomever replaced the engine last did not notch
the pulley, I have found a great Bug Doctor in my area and he is now
taking a look at it.
Thanks Again
Swanee