CV joints on 97 Civic

Old January 6th 05, 03:39 AM
Ron Truitt

Default CV joints on 97 Civic

I just got a call from a Goodyear shop who is doing my daughter's
Civic's oil change. They said both front CV joints, i.e. axle boots,
are bad and need replacing and want $289 each. I declined since I don't
have $600.

The car has 76k on it and drives perfect with no noise or vibration. Is
their any way to test these yourself?

Thanks guys.

RonT

Old January 6th 05, 04:25 AM
SoCalMike

Ron Truitt wrote:

> I just got a call from a Goodyear shop who is doing my daughter's
> Civic's oil change. They said both front CV joints, i.e. axle boots,
> are bad and need replacing and want $289 each. I declined since I don't
> have $600.
>
> The car has 76k on it and drives perfect with no noise or vibration. Is
> their any way to test these yourself?

listen for clicking during tight left/right turns.

chances are, theyre snowing you. but since goodyear has had the car,
maybe they did something to the joints? who knows. id take it to a
dealer or a trusted independant mechanic for a second opinion.
Old January 6th 05, 04:46 AM
jjjsan

Call theses guys for price. http://www.raxles.com and have your local mech
installed. Heard they have good quality axles.
Estimate labor at $75-100 per side.

Old January 6th 05, 03:18 PM
Dean

On 6 Jan 2005 13:24:16 GMT, "TeGGer®" > wrote:

>CV joint boots fail for one reason only: NEGLECT.

I've never heard about maintaining a CV boot. How do you do it?

Dean

Old January 6th 05, 03:23 PM
TCS

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 08:18:12 -0700, Dean > wrote:
>On 6 Jan 2005 13:24:16 GMT, "TeGGer®" > wrote:

>>CV joint boots fail for one reason only: NEGLECT.

>I've never heard about maintaining a CV boot. How do you do it?

You don't. There's no maintenance other than checking for rips. The trick
is to replace the boot in before the CV joint loses lubrication. Usually
inspecting them twice a year is enough.
Old January 6th 05, 03:45 PM
Dean

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 21:39:29 -0600, (Ron Truitt) wrote:

I had the axles replaced on my Accord a couple of years ago at an independent
Honda repair place for about $400. They offered to replace the boots, but I
choose the more expensive route because I plan on keeping the car for a very
long time. If money is an issue just do the boots and save for joints when they
fail. It might be a long time, if ever.

The LAST time I went to Goodyear, for a state safety inspection, the guy was
quoting me prices on brake jobs. BEFORE he had even seen the car. Being the
handy sort of guy I declined their generous offer to fix my brakes after,
surprise!, they failed inspection. You can imagine how PO'ed I was when I
started the job and quickly realized that there was absolutely nothing wrong
with the brakes.

I don't know what this Goodyear shop, but from my point of view you already have
two strikes against you, 1st you went to a Goodyear shop, 2nd you let them do
work. <lol> My favorite kind of place is a small independent place that relies
on word of mouth advertising. My Honda repair guy only works on Hondas and is
usually backed up a day or two. Its worth the wait because he is dead honest.

So my advise is to ask the Honda owners you know where they get their cars
fixed.

Dean

Old January 6th 05, 04:29 PM
John Ings

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 08:45:26 -0700, Dean <no.email @ papernapkin.net>
wrote:

>The LAST time I went to Goodyear, for a state safety inspection, the guy was
>quoting me prices on brake jobs. BEFORE he had even seen the car. Being the
>handy sort of guy I declined their generous offer to fix my brakes after,
>surprise!, they failed inspection. You can imagine how PO'ed I was when I
>started the job and quickly realized that there was absolutely nothing wrong
>with the brakes.

My favorite moment was when one such shyster told me I needed new
shocks. I told him that if he could replace the shocks, I'd give him
the car.

The car was an Austin 1300 which uses a hydraulic suspension and
doesn't HAVE shocks!

>I don't know what this Goodyear shop, but from my point of view you already have
>two strikes against you, 1st you went to a Goodyear shop, 2nd you let them do
>work. <lol> My favorite kind of place is a small independent place that relies
>on word of mouth advertising.

I second the motion! Look for an owner operated place that's in as
obscure a location as possible. Such outfits cannot depend on walk-in
business and must trust to satisfied customers to advertise their
presence.

> My Honda repair guy only works on Hondas and is
>usually backed up a day or two. Its worth the wait because he is dead honest.
>
>So my advise is to ask the Honda owners you know where they get their cars
>fixed.

Or check with a local car club.

Civic Hybrid [email protected] Honda 8 December 12th 04 04:38 PM
1997 Honda Civic: Axle and Lower Ball Joint Replacement Notes Backpacker Honda 2 November 18th 04 02:52 AM
CV Joints - New to group Kidd Andersson Honda 12 November 6th 04 01:57 PM
Questions about DIY Driveshaft Removal/Installation '91 Civic Chopface Honda 12 September 26th 04 11:38 PM