Headlight Switch?

Old December 14th 04, 05:18 AM
Randolph

Chopface wrote:

> I have a '91 Civic. The cold weather (below freezing) has finally been a
> consistent reality where I live, and my headlights are acting up. I'm
> thinking its gotta be the switch, and I'd like to see if anyone has any
> experience with this.

<snip>

It is fairly common for the switch to fail in the mode you describe.
Replace the switch or clean the internals with contact cleaner.
Old December 14th 04, 06:43 AM
Chopface

Default Headlight Switch?

I have a '91 Civic. The cold weather (below freezing) has finally been a
consistent reality where I live, and my headlights are acting up. I'm
thinking its gotta be the switch, and I'd like to see if anyone has any
experience with this.

Symptoms:

When using the car for the 1st time a given day, the low beam headlights
do not turn on when the switch is turned on. All taillights and blinkers
work with the switch on. The high beams (only the single-element bulbs
in the inner halves of the headlights, not also the 2nd elements of the
two-element bulbs in the outter halves of the headlights) work partially.

The interior of the car doesn't appreciably warm before I do get them to
work (should try that perhaps). What seems to always kick them on other
than something unknown, is activating my turn signal. This is why I
think it may be the switch. Once they are on, they stay on just fine. I
can't remember for sure, but I think once they are on, they will come
back on if I turn them off, and back on. I have a Helm manual, and may
be able to do the continuity checks on the switch electrical connectors
listed there this weekend. I haven't checked any grounds really, and
nothing seems particulairly wrong with the battery ground. It is
definitely oxidized to a good extent though. I would think larger load
electrical systems would have problems if my battery ground was related,
but I'm just an amateur. I am guessing it will be easy and cheap to find
a switch at a local boneyard if it is indeed bad.

Mark
Old December 15th 04, 08:00 AM
Chopface

TeGGer® wrote:
> Randolph > floridly penned in
> :
>

>>Chopface wrote:
>>
>>>I have a '91 Civic. The cold weather (below freezing) has finally been a
>>>consistent reality where I live, and my headlights are acting up. I'm
>>>thinking its gotta be the switch, and I'd like to see if anyone has any
>>>experience with this.

>><snip>
>>
>>It is fairly common for the switch to fail in the mode you describe.
>>Replace the switch or clean the internals with contact cleaner.
>>

> Ditto.

I got the switch apart, so how do I service it exactly? I think I know
what you mean by contact cleaner, but what about the grease that is
inside? Is dielectric grease for sparkplug wires okay? Thanks for the
advice so far.

Mark