Airbag double deployment?

Old May 9th 05, 01:05 AM
maxpower

"TNKEV" > wrote in message

> Hmmm,
> highly compressed gas and were expected to believe that the valve
> > and
> > > control mechanism and gas are all expected to last the life of the

> > vehicle?
> > > >

> > Thats right, highly compressed gas
> > >

> I don't know Glenn you may be wrong on this one,there may be compressed

gas
> in the pretensioner but I just looked at tech connect and put in '04

sebring
> 2.4 liter(just picked a car)and clicked service info>electrical>restraints
> and about halfway down the page found;

Did you see what I was talking about with the gas?

> Deployed and Nondeployed Air Bags may or may not have live pyrotechnic
> material within the air bag inflator. Do not dispose of Driver and

Passenger
> Airbags unless you are sure of complete deployment. Please refer to the
> Hazardous Substance Control System for Proper Disposal. Dispose of

deployed

Old May 9th 05, 03:29 PM
TNKEV

"maxpower" > wrote in message

> "TNKEV" > wrote in message
> >
> > Hmmm,
> > highly compressed gas and were expected to believe that the valve
> > > and
> > > vehicle?
> > > > >
> > > Thats right, highly compressed gas
> > > >

> > I don't know Glenn you may be wrong on this one,there may be compressed

> gas
> > in the pretensioner but I just looked at tech connect and put in '04

> sebring
> > 2.4 liter(just picked a car)and clicked service

info>electrical>restraints
> > and about halfway down the page found;

> Did you see what I was talking about with the gas?

Yes I read the links Glenn, there are beliefs on both sides of the fence on
this one and looks like all could argue untill blue in the fingers,but I
think it would still be best to be safe than sorry,people shouldn't mess
with something that did,could ,would explode,I am with the belief that when
it blows its over,nothing left but i still wouldn't put my face in front of
it.
I had a Lincoln town car pull in when I worked for Ford that the air
bags had deployed and he cut them off flush with the dash and steering wheel
and drove it around for 6 months before sending it to the junk pile when the
tags expired.

Old May 9th 05, 06:58 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Tue, 03 May 2005 14:29:51 -0700, The Real Bev >
wrote:

>That sounds stupid. At that point you're no worse off than in a car with NO
>airbags, which I don't see as a problem. Is there some other danger caused by
>deployed bags?

He seems more worried about the danger of (needlessly) deploy*ing* bags --
especially fun at highway speeds.

Still seems odd that someone would think the car companies would ever
spring for a double mechanism when you can jsut as easily regulate a
single one to give different deployment profiles.

Jasper
Old May 9th 05, 10:13 PM
Steve W.

I had a set of bags in a 1999 Dodge Caravan deploy while cruising down
the highway at 65mph. Didn't hit anything they just went bang. Managed
to get off the road and cough the corn starch out of my lungs. The
dealer that took the van in for repairs (leased van) said that it looked
like the controller shorted out. Made me leery of them for a while.
Oh and yes there is a danger to air bag deployment in many vehicles. The
elastic or metal dash panel that splits open to release the bag has some
REAL sharp edges on it sometimes. (The Caravan had a split metal piece
that was like a razor on the edge).

--
Steve Williams

Old May 10th 05, 12:18 AM
M.Burns

I had a 90 Dynasty once. There were heavy wire "cables" coming up and
dead-ending at the radiator support. Someone told me they were the air bag
deployment sensors. I noticed just before I sold it that one of the cables
was laying against the battery box, and corrosion had eroded away about 70%
of its thickness. Always wondered after that if it corroded all the way
through, would the air bags fire off, ..or would they be rendered
inoperable. Glad I never had to find out. M.B.

"Steve W." > wrote in message
> I had a set of bags in a 1999 Dodge Caravan deploy while cruising down
> the highway at 65mph. Didn't hit anything they just went bang. Managed
> to get off the road and cough the corn starch out of my lungs. The
> dealer that took the van in for repairs (leased van) said that it looked
> like the controller shorted out. Made me leery of them for a while.
> Oh and yes there is a danger to air bag deployment in many vehicles. The
> elastic or metal dash panel that splits open to release the bag has some
> REAL sharp edges on it sometimes. (The Caravan had a split metal piece
> that was like a razor on the edge).
>
> --
> Steve Williams
>
> "Jasper Janssen" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 03 May 2005 14:29:51 -0700, The Real Bev

> > wrote:
> >
> > >That sounds stupid. At that point you're no worse off than in a car

> with NO
> > >airbags, which I don't see as a problem. Is there some other danger

> caused by
> > >deployed bags?

> > He seems more worried about the danger of (needlessly) deploy*ing*

> bags --
> > especially fun at highway speeds.
> >
> > Still seems odd that someone would think the car companies would ever
> > spring for a double mechanism when you can jsut as easily regulate a
> > single one to give different deployment profiles.
> >
> > Jasper

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

1997 Caravan Airbag like comes on intermittently. JM Chrysler 19 May 6th 05 07:50 PM
E39 Airbag Johan Karl Larsen BMW 1 March 31st 05 02:26 AM
BMW 5 Series E39 Accidental Airbag Deployment BigBazza BMW 14 January 21st 05 02:30 AM
airbag disconnect -93 accord - to change wiper switch [email protected] Honda 1 January 7th 05 07:32 PM
Airbag sensor on E39 hodne BMW 2 September 25th 04 12:04 AM