1998 Dodge Grand Caravan - ABS warning light on, vehicle running but gauges not working

Old August 14th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
mgl

Default 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan - ABS warning light on, vehicle running but gauges not working

Had the following problem twice
- once after van had been driven around town most of day(start/stop)
- once after van had been sitting in work parking lot all day

- Vechicle starts
- But, temperature guage, Rpm guage and gas guage do not work
- All other electirical (lights, radio, windows, wipers etc work) and
morter is running.
- ABS warning light stays on

- Let vehicle sit for a while, without doing anything, eventually vehicle
starts normally and everything appears to be fine. No ABS warning light

Fuse
- guages run on own fuse
- instrutment pannel warning lights on their own fuse

first time it happend, I was not present not assume fuse problem
-started up the van and everything work fine
- pulled out gauges fuse looked okay but replaced anyway

Second time - 1.5 weeks later

- Started vehicle
- ABS light came on
- but no temp gauge, rpm gauge, no gas gauge
- radio, ligts wipers etc..working

- turn off/off couple of times same problem

- let sit about 10 minutes started up and everything okay

I am really hoping that is some kind of know problem not a intermittent
Fuse/Short/ground problem as they can take forever to find.

Has anyone heard/seen anything like that

Mark Lucas

thanks

Old August 17th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Paul of Dayton

Hi Mark-

How old is your battery? My '98 was doing the dead gauges thing and I
noticed the odometer and shifter display were flickering. Turned out the
battery was weak - new battery and all has been perfect since. (I do not
recall the ABS light being on.)

PoD