Automakers Lengthen Oil Change Intervals

Old March 28th 07, 02:04 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,rec.autos.tech
Moe[_2_]

Default Automakers Lengthen Oil Change Intervals

wrote:
> "Tim.." > wrote in message
>> Here in the UK, several manurfactuers- Renualt, Citroen, Vauxhall (GM)

> have
>> been on 20,000 mile (or 2 years) oil changes for some while!!!
>>
>> Thats using semi synthetic- not full synth!!!
>>
>> Tim.

> It's your car and your money. Do as you like.
>
> We have just ordered a new car, and with a cost of nearly $40,000,
> you can bet it will be pampered.
>
> Frequent oil and filter changes are not expensive, and -whether
> they are needed are not - help my peace of mind.

A filter works best after it's been in service a while and the larger
pores are clogged. I remember some people used to change their filter
every other oil change. The filters are much smaller now days but I
still wonder if changing the filter every oil change is necessary or the
right thing to do. My Toyota warms up quickly, very quickly so I
change the oil every 5K miles, my old pickup gets driven not much and
doesn't warm up very fast. I'll change it every 3K. The old oil I
pour around the house foundation, and on the wood fence. The termites
have eaten the hell out of the untreated parts of the fence. They have
not touched the treated wood.
Old March 28th 07, 02:25 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.trucks.ford,rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,rec.autos.tech

"Moe" > wrote in message

> A filter works best after it's been in service a while and the larger
> pores are clogged. I remember some people used to change their filter
> every other oil change. The filters are much smaller now days but I
> still wonder if changing the filter every oil change is necessary or the
> right thing to do.

There have been a lot of claims that the small particles which may increase
in motor oil with time do a lot of damage, but I have never seen factual
data
on this. And I have searched for it.

While filtering of smaller particles often does improve as the filter ages
and
the larger openings become blocked, I am not sure whether the loss of flow
is justified by the removal of smaller particles.

I have often wondered if there might be a case for installation of double
oil
filter units (as some remote filter adaptors provide) might be a good thing.

What I THINK I KNOW, is that if you change the oil and filter regularly,
it is not unrealistic to get 150,000-200,000 miles on a engine with little
wear and damage. And this is what I am shooting for.

Nothing can preclude catastrophic failure in an engine due to bad design,
casting flaws, or weakened parts.