How can I determine Engine in 1998 Dakota?

Old March 8th 07, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
[email protected]

Default How can I determine Engine in 1998 Dakota?

I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota but I do not know the engine size. It is
either a 5.2L or 5.9L. The tag is missing from the door and the VIN
is incorrect. It is NOT a 4.7L. Is there a tell-tale sign to
distinguish between the 5.2L and 5.9L? They look very similar.

Old March 8th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
GeekBoy[_4_]

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota but I do not know the engine size. It is
> either a 5.2L or 5.9L. The tag is missing from the door and the VIN
> is incorrect. It is NOT a 4.7L. Is there a tell-tale sign to
> distinguish between the 5.2L and 5.9L? They look very similar.

I don't think Dodge put a 5.9 in a Dakota.

Old March 8th 07, 05:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
Tom Lawrence

> I don't think Dodge put a 5.9 in a Dakota.

Yes, in the RT model, beginning in '98

Old March 8th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
The Reverend Natural Light

They did. I have one.

-rev

Old March 8th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
[email protected]

On Mar 8, 7:53 am, wrote:
> I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota but I do not know the engine size. It is
> either a 5.2L or 5.9L. The tag is missing from the door and the VIN
> is incorrect. It is NOT a 4.7L. Is there a tell-tale sign to
> distinguish between the 5.2L and 5.9L? They look very similar.

Mine is a 4x4 Club Cab. This wouldn't be an R/T so you think it's
most likely a 5.2L?

Old March 8th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
GeekBoy[_4_]

"Tom Lawrence" > wrote in message
nk.net...
>> I don't think Dodge put a 5.9 in a Dakota.

> Yes, in the RT model, beginning in '98

Thanks for the clarification.
I had considered buying one around the time. Seemed you got a more featured
truck at a lower price compared to the Ram.

Then I got in the truck and drove it and realized you could get a car with
the same power, but larger size for a price a lot less.

Old March 8th 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
John Kunkel

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota but I do not know the engine size. It is
> either a 5.2L or 5.9L. The tag is missing from the door and the VIN
> is incorrect. It is NOT a 4.7L. Is there a tell-tale sign to
> distinguish between the 5.2L and 5.9L? They look very similar.

In '98 the 5.9L was only available in the Dakota R/T and was a midyear
addition.

VIN is incorrect? What makes you think so?

Old March 8th 07, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
maxpower

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a 1998 Dodge Dakota but I do not know the engine size. It is
> either a 5.2L or 5.9L. The tag is missing from the door and the VIN
> is incorrect. It is NOT a 4.7L. Is there a tell-tale sign to
> distinguish between the 5.2L and 5.9L? They look very similar.

What does the under hood sticker show? it can come as a 5.2 or a 5.9 ( the
emissions label)

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old March 8th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
[email protected]

On Mar 8, 12:04 pm, "John Kunkel" > wrote:
..

> VIN is incorrect? What makes you think so?

Because the VIN says the truck is a 2000 w/ 4.7L. It's definitely not
a 4.7L. The engine is cast with date of 3/98 and the suspension is
for a 98 truck (pitman arm whereas 2000 has rack and pinion). I took
the truck to the dealer, they looked up the VIN and said that the
truck should be a 2WD with an automatic transmission, but this one is
a 4WD with 5-speed manual.

So, basically, this is a 1998 truck with a VIN from another vehicle.
I'm not sure why or how, but someone along the line swapped the VIN
plate. That's my sad story of getting screwed by a crooked dealer. I
tried to get an attorney to sue the guy but no one will take the case
because they feel they'll never get paid and I can't afford to pay a
lawyer up front. So I guess I'm stuck with the truck.

Old March 8th 07, 09:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,alt.autos.dodge.trucks
GeekBoy[_4_]

> wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Mar 8, 12:04 pm, "John Kunkel" > wrote:
> .
>>
>> VIN is incorrect? What makes you think so?

> Because the VIN says the truck is a 2000 w/ 4.7L. It's definitely not
> a 4.7L. The engine is cast with date of 3/98 and the suspension is
> for a 98 truck (pitman arm whereas 2000 has rack and pinion). I took
> the truck to the dealer, they looked up the VIN and said that the
> truck should be a 2WD with an automatic transmission, but this one is
> a 4WD with 5-speed manual.
>
> So, basically, this is a 1998 truck with a VIN from another vehicle.
> I'm not sure why or how, but someone along the line swapped the VIN
> plate. That's my sad story of getting screwed by a crooked dealer. I
> tried to get an attorney to sue the guy but no one will take the case
> because they feel they'll never get paid and I can't afford to pay a
> lawyer up front. So I guess I'm stuck with the truck.

District attoney office can help. People have gone to prison over swapping
VINs and misleading people.