2000 Ford Explorer Idle Issues

Old March 25th 07, 05:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

Default 2000 Ford Explorer Idle Issues

Whenever I start my 2000 Ford Explorer the RPMs start at 1000 and drop
down to 500. Sometimes its starts for a second then dies all
together. Then there are other times where it starts fine and holds
RPMs, but when I am halfway to my destination, the RPMs will drop back
down to 500 and feel like its about to die. I've tried cleaning and
lubricating the battery and the weather here is not that bad, so I
dont think that that would be an issue. Any help would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks.

Old March 26th 07, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Al Williams

Sounds like your IAC needs cleaning or replacing - lots of stuff written on
it. Google "Explorer IAC".

Could also be intake gaskets, but try IAC first.

--
Allan Williams

oups.com...

Old March 27th 07, 01:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Paul G.

On Mar 25, 8:41 am, wrote:
> Whenever I start my 2000 Ford Explorer the RPMs start at 1000 and drop
> down to 500.

Mine does the same thing, I think that part is normal.

> Sometimes its starts for a second then dies all
> together.

That sounds like the IAC valve.

> Then there are other times where it starts fine and holds
> RPMs, but when I am halfway to my destination, the RPMs will drop back
> down to 500 and feel like its about to die.

Is that while you're trying to drive down the road, or sitting at a
stop? 500 rpm at a stop is normal. If it happens driving down the
road... does the 2000 have a fuel pump relay? My 1994 had a problem
like that, caused by a bad fuel pump relay.
-Paul

Old March 28th 07, 03:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Booters

On Mar 26, 7:26 pm, "Paul G." > wrote:
> On Mar 25, 8:41 am, wrote:
>
> > Whenever I start my 2000 Ford Explorer the RPMs start at 1000 and drop
> > down to 500.

> Mine does the same thing, I think that part is normal.
>
> > Sometimes its starts for a second then dies all
> > together.

> That sounds like the IAC valve.
>
> > Then there are other times where it starts fine and holds
> > RPMs, but when I am halfway to my destination, the RPMs will drop back
> > down to 500 and feel like its about to die.

> Is that while you're trying to drive down the road, or sitting at a
> stop? 500 rpm at a stop is normal. If it happens driving down the
> road... does the 2000 have a fuel pump relay? My 1994 had a problem
> like that, caused by a bad fuel pump relay.
> -Paul

It drops to 500 when I am stopped, but it has only recently started
doing that within the last couple months or so. Normally it would
idle at 1000. Not sure if it has a fuel pump relay, I'll look into
that. Thanks.

Old March 28th 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Paul G.

On Mar 27, 6:01 pm, "Booters" > wrote:
> On Mar 26, 7:26 pm, "Paul G." > wrote:
>

> > On Mar 25, 8:41 am, wrote:

> > > Whenever I start my 2000 Ford Explorer the RPMs start at 1000 and drop
> > > down to 500.

> > Mine does the same thing, I think that part is normal.

> > > Sometimes its starts for a second then dies all
> > > together.

> > That sounds like the IAC valve.

> > > Then there are other times where it starts fine and holds
> > > RPMs, but when I am halfway to my destination, the RPMs will drop back
> > > down to 500 and feel like its about to die.

> > Is that while you're trying to drive down the road, or sitting at a
> > stop? 500 rpm at a stop is normal. If it happens driving down the
> > road... does the 2000 have a fuel pump relay? My 1994 had a problem
> > like that, caused by a bad fuel pump relay.
> > -Paul

> It drops to 500 when I am stopped, but it has only recently started
> doing that within the last couple months or so. Normally it would
> idle at 1000. Not sure if it has a fuel pump relay, I'll look into
> that. Thanks.

OK, it's not the fuel pump relay. Sure sounds like the IAC (Idle Air
Control) valve. It adjusts the amount of air the engine gets at idle.
I believe it should idle at 500 rpm when warmed up. If it doesn't,
it's most likely the IAC which is known to stick or get clogged. You
can replace it or there is a procedure for cleaning it, do a Google
search for that.

The other common problem is intake manifold vacuum leaks. That affects
idle and can vary because the parts expand/contract with engine
temperature.
-Paul

2000 Accord Idle Issues Butt0nz Honda 5 June 5th 06 06:34 PM
2000 Ford Explorer Bobcat Ford Explorer 0 January 9th 06 11:55 PM
2000 GT Vert - Issues with Ford Dealer (long) RSCamaro Ford Mustang 4 December 3rd 05 06:33 AM
94 ford explorer high idle when cold 1500 rpm down to 650 marlow Ford Explorer 1 November 27th 05 06:36 AM
2000 ford explorer [email protected] Ford Explorer 2 November 14th 05 08:32 PM