SATURN BUYBACK

Old September 15th 06, 10:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

Default SATURN BUYBACK

"Tom The Great" > wrote in message

> Ah I got a letter saying there was a high demand for older saturns by
> the public, and the dealer NEEDED mine to meet it.

Because they are better, more cost effective cars.

IMHO a good low mileage manual trans S1 is a great value today and they are
in the sweet spot of the used car market cycle. Old enough to have been
almost fully depreciated but still young enough to have lots of use left in
them.

Old September 15th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_1_]

Default lw300 timing belt change

"BläBlä" . S!RCRE4P.C0M>
wrote in message ...
In article >, boppie@-nospam-
ludl.com says...

> "BläBlä" . S!RCRE4P.C0M>
> wrote in message ...
> >
> > I say change it now. You need the J42069 kit. Same kit used on the
> > Catera. While you're there change your waterpump just like you would a
> > Honda v6. Doesnt hurt to replace the belt tensioners and idler pulleys
> > and inspect the other pulleys for wear.
> >
> > Here's the only site I could find the kit listed on.
> >> http://www.etoolcart.com/browseprodu...t-J-42069.HTML

> A friend that ownd a service shop said that I might be able to borrow the
> alignment tool.
>
> Where did you get the info that the 3L catera engine uses the same tool?
> Just curious.

What does a L300, Catera, Vectra, and Omega have in common?
All have the Vauxhall/Opel 3.0L knuckle busting engines...
In Europe the 3.0 v6 is called the Ecotec just like the 4 banger.
Thankfully the 4cyl Ecotec got a timing chain before it was marketed
here. In Europe it still has a timing belt.

See simularities
> http://www.s10cameo.com/DCP_0337.JPG
> http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...what/allfields
> http://www.conseilachatauto.info/Opel/omega.htm
> http://www.faulke.de/Om-v6-ko.jpg

3.2L Ecotec
> http://www.calibrainfo.hu/images_motor/motor_05.jpg

3.0L Twincam Vue
> http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...what/allfields

GM uses a variation of this engine in Saabs. I think Holden uses a Opel
3.0's as well... For being a 54 degree engine it sure as hell didnt
create any room under the hood.

=====================

Thanks for that information. It is a pretty looking package but I'm having
second thoughts about doing the timing belt myself. I've done major engine
work on other cars but this is almost scary to work on.

Old September 15th 06, 10:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Private

"BläBlä" . S!RCRE4P.C0M>
wrote in message ...

> $1000 bucks later...a timing chain is looking mighty good now aint it?

Bingo

Old September 15th 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
BläBlä[_2_]

> =====================
>
> Thanks for that information. It is a pretty looking package but I'm having
> second thoughts about doing the timing belt myself. I've done major engine
> work on other cars but this is almost scary to work on.

I know what you mean. I'm sure you can handle it. There are rough spots
to work through of course. You might ask around saturnfans for
pointers... I thought of something that might be a good idea. Buy the
kit and rent it out for 20-50 bucks for upto 10 days use with a 500 buck
deposit (in case someone never returns it). All you have to do is visit
forums and let people know you have it and shipping shouldnt be more
than 10 bucks each way. (autozone and advance dont have such tools as
loaners.)

You have a factory manual right?
Compair this info to the book you have
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php/6603...iming_belt.zip