Flikering lights

Old September 14th 06, 01:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
HyperCube33

Default Flikering lights

Good question.
Someone here sugested that I swap a battery with another car. unfortunately
I only own 1 car, and this is it.

I'd gladly buy another (or two!) SC2's - they are fun to drive! My friend
rode in my stock SC2 and liked it enough to buy a performance modded one.

I should also note that this is my first car, I live in an apartment, and
the only tools I have are at my parents 30 minutes away.

I dont know any mechanics, or anything like that that I trust since I moved
here 8 months ago.

Old September 15th 06, 01:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_1_]

Disconnecting the battery while engine running on a modern car is a big
no-no (as is pulling off spark plug boot to check spark on the fly).

The battery serves to ballast the charging system and evens out the
pulsation of the charging system. Without the battery in circuit, you can
get some pretty large voltage excursions and transients that can potentially
damage ALL the electronic devices in the car. The electrical system in an
automobile is actually pretty hostile, approaching military requirements on
design practices and component reliability. Many of the newer modules are
better designed and can take more abuse but do you want to take a chance?

Similarly with pulling off a spark plug wire while the engine is running,
the voltage no longer arcs to ground and the output of the spark coil is no
longer 'clamped'. This causes the spark coil primary voltage to rise very
high and stress the transistor that drives it.

So, to paraprase 'Dirty Harry', "Do you feel lucky?" if so, keep doing the
same 'ol.

Oppie (electrical engineer)