A question on recharging the AC? Thanks!

Old August 14th 05, 09:08 PM
dumdum

I know exactly how to fix your a/c.HAVE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THE ****
THEIR DOING FIX IT AND PAY THE MONEY!!!

Old August 15th 05, 12:17 AM
zita

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message ...

> [...]
>> said that it is totally empty. Today, I got the suction line from the

> dealer
>> for $40 and we are going to install it in the morning.
>>

>> I just have a couple of question for you, hope someone can help out! I

> read
>> in the book that this system has 5 OZ of PEG oil in it, so how much do I
>> need to have my friend put in it when he charges the system tomorrow? I am
>> assuming that it does not need the full 5 OZ because some of the oil is
>> still trapped in there! The other question, should I have my friend do the
>> job for me? It is straight forward and he got the machine in the shop

> where
>> he works and we got the OK to use it tomorrow. It is going to cost me

> about
>> $30 to do it this way instead of going to the dealer and shelling out ~
>> $200!
>>

> Your troubles and costs are probably just beginning.
>
> If we all lived in a perfect world, the hole in your suction line would have
> appeared
> the day before you bought the car, and there would be nothing else wrong in
> the
> system, your friend would charge it and off you go.
>
> But in reality the system has probably been open for years, the
> accumulator/drier is
> saturated with water, and as soon as you fire it up the water in the system
> will instantly
> turn to ice that will jam your compressor solid, bending all it's valves and
> destroying
> the compressor clutch. That is, if your lucky enough for the hole in the
> suction line
> to be the ONLY hole, and the refrigerant doesen't come rushing out some
> other hole
> as fast as you put it in.
>
> If this was my car I would do the following: Install the hose, pressure
> test the system,
> repair any other holes, pressure test the system again until I knew it
> wasn't leaking,
> remove and replace the accumulator/dryer, pull vacuum on the system for
> at least 4-6 hours, put in about 2 oz of oil, and charge the system and
> cross my
> fingers that the original reason the system died wasn't a blown up
> compressor.
>
> And if it worked, I'd count myself lucky if I got 5 years of life out of the
> compressor.
>
> If te compressor blew I'd then completely disassemble the system, flush all
> lines,
> replace the compressor, expansion orifice, accumulator, all o rings, and
> repeat the above
> steps, excepting adding in the correct amount of oil.
>
> At least you got one thing right - you aren't shelling out $200 to the
> dealer. Why - because
> $200 wouldn't pay a quarter of the cost to do this system up properly so

Ted, Thanks Buddy! Installed the new line today and pressure tested the system. Fortunately, no other leaks! I am going to wait until tomorrow to get that dryer before we charge it up. I asked and I am going to do what I am told and I hope that will do it! Thanks again man.

Old August 15th 05, 12:22 AM
zita

"dumdum" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
>I know exactly how to fix your a/c.HAVE SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THE ****
> THEIR DOING FIX IT AND PAY THE MONEY!!!

Sure thing dumdum but don't get too excited it is just a ****ing car! I don't
want you to yank a nerve over it!

Old August 15th 05, 12:28 AM
zita

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...

>> > ...and what it knows, you ain't had _time_ to learn...

>> What?

> See Bill Putney's response; he got it.

Yeh I got it..Thanks Bill. It was really hard getting anything after reading
Ted's response to my original question. Maybe it is the age thing too, I am
only 19! Sorry!

Old August 16th 05, 03:36 PM
Bill Putney

Bill Putney wrote:
> Daniel J. Stern wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 13 Aug 2005, Bill Putney wrote:
>>

>>> You do realize that you would be trading a mechanical load for a
>>> just-as-real electrical load on the alternator, which translates back
>>> into a real mechanical load on the engine with the conversion
>>> ineffeiciency of the alternator added in?

>> Many people don't realise this. I did, by the way, find your power input
>> vs. alternator output graph; do you still need it?

> Absolutely - thanks! Any particluar alternator? The thread I needed it
> for has been dead for a few weeks, but I might still post it there to
> finish it out. But I would like it for future reference.
>
> If you don't still have my e-mail address, I'll send you an e-mail for
> you to reply to.
>
> Bill Putney
> (To reply by e-mail, replace the last letter of the alphabet in my
> adddress with the letter 'x')

Ummm - did you send it yet?

BTW - send it to the address shown here (with the hint under my signature)

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old August 16th 05, 08:19 PM
Daniel J. Stern