Opinion - Spark plugs for '98 3.0 Voyager

Old March 15th 05, 01:48 PM
Richard

"Ken Peterson" <zebra @ optonline.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:50:56 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 13 Mar 2005, Ken Peterson wrote:
>>
>>> On a side issue, I am impressed with the Bosch 8mm plug wires. They
>>> seem to be of good quality

>>Based on...?

> Personal opinion and examination. The other generic wires I have
> acquired from the various auto parts stores local to me were not as
> good. YMMV.
>
>>> I've found Bosch wiper blades to be better than Anco.

>>Boy, not me. I've found just the opposite.

> I had Anco blades on this Voyager and they made horrible noises on
> anything but a very wet windshield. (drove the wifee crazy). I
> popped in a set of Bosch 28" blades, and that cured the noise problem,
> both in the blades and the wifee complaints! :-)

The higher end line of Bosch blades made in Germany are superb. Local blades
made of silicone have also gotten good notices but they are even more
expensive. I have not tried them. On the down side, Bosch does not offer
inserts for their better blades.

Richard.

Old March 15th 05, 07:03 PM
Richard Smith

"Ken Peterson" <zebra @ optonline.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:55:44 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> > wrote:
>
> Thank you Richard & Daniel for your inputs!
>
> Looks like I'll have to order the plugs via the 'net as those do not
> appear to be available in Long Island, NY, unless some performance
> shop carries them.
>
> I figure the Autolite double-plats should do nicely and might last a
> few years (considering the 4-5K a year that's put on the clock).
>
> The Iridium plugs only have an iridium core, not the ground electode,
> so while the iridium center electrode may last a lifetime, not the
> ground, so no good for that.
>
> I haven't run Champions in years. Never really liked them, except I
> did use them back in the early 70's on a '64 Buick Skylark 300 cu in
> V8 I had.
>
> A tip of the hat, gents!

<<snip>>

FWIW, my SOHC 1990 Protege has clocked over 100,000 miles on it's set of
Bosch Plats and still gets the same fuel economy (34-37 hwy and yes, I log
every tankful) even after 229,000 miles total. Original clutch, tranny and
engine. Wish my Chrysler's were this reliable.

Richard

Old March 19th 05, 12:09 AM
Ken Peterson

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:29:31 -0500, Ken Peterson <zebra @
optonline.net> wrote:

I got the Autolite Platinum Pro spark plugs from sparkplugs.com - not
bad for UPS ground across the USA.

Question: The gasket has a smaller diameter surface and a larger one
on each side. I called Autolite and they said it doesn't matter which
way the gasket goes on the plug.

It appears that it would be better to mount the gasket with the
smaller surface towards the plug and the wider surface towards the
head... it looks like it will seal better that way.

Is there a steadfast rule for the proper orientation of the spark plug
gaskets?

Old March 19th 05, 10:49 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Ken Peterson wrote:

> Question: The gasket has a smaller diameter surface and a larger one on
> each side. I called Autolite and they said it doesn't matter which way
> the gasket goes on the plug.

That's the problem with companies making it impossible for you to contact
them, and throwing "Customer Service Representatives" (ignorant
call-center drones) in your way.

> It appears that it would be better to mount the gasket with the smaller
> surface towards the plug and the wider surface towards the head... it
> looks like it will seal better that way.

Other way 'round. Small concave face towards the head, larger convex face
towards the plug.

Old March 20th 05, 02:04 AM
Ken Peterson

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 17:49:06 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern"
> wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Ken Peterson wrote:
>
>> Question: The gasket has a smaller diameter surface and a larger one on
>> each side. I called Autolite and they said it doesn't matter which way
>> the gasket goes on the plug.

>That's the problem with companies making it impossible for you to contact
>them, and throwing "Customer Service Representatives" (ignorant
>call-center drones) in your way.

As soon as the guy said "hold on and let me ask", I knew I was in
trouble.

>> It appears that it would be better to mount the gasket with the smaller
>> surface towards the plug and the wider surface towards the head... it
>> looks like it will seal better that way.

>Other way 'round. Small concave face towards the head, larger convex face
>towards the plug.

Thanks for the advice. When it gets a little warmer in NY I will pop
'em in, with the washer properly oriented! :-)

98 Passport spark plugs JC- Honda 1 March 10th 05 05:01 AM
Spark Plugs for 93 SL1 SOHC Gary Compton Saturn 3 July 18th 04 12:33 PM
spark plugs condition newsgroup Saturn 2 July 11th 04 09:08 PM
Mystery spark plugs in 2002 stratus Alan Wedin Dodge 8 June 19th 04 02:29 PM
How to change spark plugs on Ford Contour V6? Jian General 0 January 21st 04 04:45 AM